• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dark days in Morgantown

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know..Hertzel is one the old school guys living in the past...It's truly hard to tell if the opinion is correct or not...BBW and I have had some banter around this.....Howard IMHO is horrific!...he is a turnover machine!!...if we have a better talent back there does this offense run more efficient?..I just know for the last few years everyone was saying the offensive line was soft, that it was a designed pass blocking scheme only and it wasn't nasty enough to support a sustainable running game..well it clearly has evolved..so has Dana's scheme ..its an offense that was shotgun and throw all the time..to one with balance and he as even thrown in the Power I into the mix..BUT they don't seem crisp as a unit..you watch Baylor, Oregon or similar offenses and they don't seem as sharp...but ..and there is the but again..I am not sure what Howard is doing half the time...and thank goodness he has kids that can catch just about anything or it would be worse!..speaking of which I feel bad for Shelton Gibson..the kid should have 1000 yards and 12 TDS by now if Howard could get the friggin ball to him...the kid is REALLY good!..maybe the best WR Wv has had in sometime and that includes Kevin White...and I am speaking of a true Wide Out..not a Tavon Austin slot man..

I would agree with Hertzel that you cannot dismiss numbers all the time..Wv's all time record since joining the conference cannot be overlooked and after 5 years it is fair to make an assessment of how you feel the health of the program is and what the future looks like under this staff...

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know..Hertzel is one the old school guys living in the past...It's truly hard to tell if the opinion is correct or not...BBW and I have had some banter around this.....Howard IMHO is horrific!...he is a turnover machine!!...if we have a better talent back there does this offense run more efficient?..I just know for the last few years everyone was saying the offensive line was soft, that it was a designed pass blocking scheme only and it wasn't nasty enough to support a sustainable running game..well it clearly has evolved..so has Dana's scheme ..its an offense that was shotgun and throw all the time..to one with balance and he as even thrown in the Power I into the mix..BUT they don't seem crisp as a unit..you watch Baylor, Oregon or similar offenses and they don't seem as sharp...but ..and there is the but again..I am not sure what Howard is doing half the time...and thank goodness he has kids that can catch just about anything or it would be worse!..speaking of which I feel bad for Shelton Gibson..the kid should have 1000 yards and 12 TDS by now if Howard could get the friggin ball to him...the kid is REALLY good!..maybe the best WR Wv has had in sometime and that includes Kevin White...and I am speaking of a true Wide Out..not a Tavon Austin slot man..

I would agree with Hertzel that you cannot dismiss numbers all the time..Wv's all time record since joining the conference cannot be overlooked and after 5 years it is fair to make an assessment of how you feel the health of the program is and what the future looks like under this staff...
Both the article and Slaton's post are pretty fair assessments. My only question is where do we from here?

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we see another QB under center soon, if not this week. Dana was afraid to throw it in OT, and did not want to put in a cold QB. I will be surprised if we don't see a change at QB this week, maybe not to start but sometime during the game. Howard is to turnover prone.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we see another QB under center soon, if not this week. Dana was afraid to throw it in OT, and did not want to put in a cold QB. I will be surprised if we don't see a change at QB this week, maybe not to start but sometime during the game. Howard is to turnover prone.

I would like to see a quick hook as well if Howard continues to cough up the football...but I am not sure if Crest is ready...saw his eyes when he got into the game for a few snaps..looked like he was going to pull a Steamin' Willie Beamon and throw up out there!:what:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really was questioning the play calling Saturday. We threw deep over and over again, connecting only once. I felt even with all the turnovers that the game was lost the next to the last time we had the ball, we were running very effectively, had first down at our 45, and threw deep incomplete, I feel a run on that play, we get the first down and a TD or FG a few plays later, and win.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really was questioning the play calling Saturday. We threw deep over and over again, connecting only once. I felt even with all the turnovers that the game was lost the next to the last time we had the ball, we were running very effectively, had first down at our 45, and threw deep incomplete, I feel a run on that play, we get the first down and a TD or FG a few plays later, and win.

Well this is where BBW and I had a difference of opinion...if Howard had a bigger arm we complete several of those throws...the ball was constantly late getting there..

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we will see a change at QB this week unless Howard gets hurt this week in practice.

I WANT to believe that we will see a different Skylar Howard this week. I keep telling myself (in an effort to stay positive) that yes he is average/below average in some areas but he has also seen better defenses these last two games than he will see until maybe the KState game. That goes for the shoddy Oline we have as well...

I think Dana starts Howard this week and lives with it but if we see more of the same then IMO the bye week could give him enough time between games to feel more comfy about a more permanent type of change.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with GR, we will not see a change, but if we see a 2 QB system (yuck), a change may be coming down the pipe. I only questioned the play calling during the OT period, but I'm didn't know the situation, just the results of the plays. Smallwood had the hotter hand and I don't know why Shell attempts to constantly run wide.

I understand taking the shots downfield and it appears that Dana is not doing it that often, compared to a few years ago. Just as in the Bowl game, Howard could not hit mid-range passes. The receivers did not have many drops, that I could recall, and did a good job of making the most of their targets. It should not take a half of a game for Howard to settle into the game?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this is where BBW and I had a difference of opinion...if Howard had a bigger arm we complete several of those throws...the ball was constantly late getting there..
When calling plays, the kids on the field and their abilities HAVE to enter into it, Howard has show repeatedly that he can not reliably get the ball to the receiver, two drives in the second half, we mostly ran and marched right down the field.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my side of the story…

As we all know, Dana is morphing his offense. It no longer is a true Air Raid. He has placed his QB in the pistol, and most recently he has worked with Crook to introduce power plays. We lead with pulling guards, and Wellman as a lead blocker. Even the OL is spacing differently than what Leach is doing at WSU. As Crook has introduced power, our guys are closer together to get vertical leverage.

Another change is how Dana seems to be focusing on our outside WR's… the X and Z…. instead of the Y or slot. In the past, the Air Raid hit the Y for most of their plays… think Welker, Crabtree and Amaro. Austin was great in the slot, but last year we saw Alford move from the Y to the outside to utilize his speed. Obviously, we have two speed guys out there now, and they are huge mismatches for most CB's in college football.

In the past, Air Raid QB's did not have to have a strong arms to hit on the shallow routes and mesh routes which made the Air Raid so successful. But, Dana is going the way of Briles… and using the vertical routes to challenge defenses and spread the field to create space for his running game and balanced attack.

As we've seen in Briles offense, the post pattern and corner routes can create huge advantages in a league which loves to go press man on the outside. When there is no safety coverage over the top, these plays can result in pretty easy TD's.

However, to hit the vertical pass… you have to have a tall QB with a strong arm. I don't think there is any question in Skyler's arm strength. But, he is vertically challenged. So… the pieces are not a perfect fit… yet.

We also know Dana has recruited athletic QB's. He wants to challenge defenses in the manner Manziel challenged them. He has introduced the zone read, and has Skyler running QB draws. I like this idea as it takes away one more defender.

Until the OU game, Howard had committed but one TO. He has committed 7 in the last two games, 8 in the last 3. Unfortunately, the past two games have seen the TO's occurring deep in WV territory and have lead to points by our opponents.

Like most of you are aware, the QB is one of the most important positions on the field. His confidence is crucial for the success of the offensive unit. Dana is walking a fine line here. IMO, you don't give up on this kid. He played a great 2nd half against Okie St… minus the one terrible INT.

Baylor has a junk defense. TCU has a junk defense.

I don't believe his fumbles are going to be an ongoing issue. Against OU, he had to run for his life as his line did a pathetic job in protecting him.

I think Dana will reassess his offense. Skyler needs to get rid of the ball quickly as this line is not going to provide him a consistent pocket and give him time to throw the deep vertical. Dana needs to help Skyler out. He needs to start hitting the mesh routes and shallow routes like he did last year when he came in for Clint in the KSU game, and as he did in the ISU game.

Sorry to be long winded. But, I don't think the situation is as grave as some might think. Nor do I feel the program is mediocre. The wins may not be there, but this team has competed hard the past two years, and has made me proud of their effort.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most of what you are saying bbw, but Howard can not pass the ball, short, middle, or long. He just is not accurate.

I really would hate to see Holgerson go. I think he has the team headed in the right direction, he needs to get a one more piece to the puzzle. If we had an accurate passer we would only have 1 loss at the most, maybe undefeated.

I don't pretend to think I'm smarter then Holgerson, and I just wonder about the ones behind Howard. I'm not sure if they are any better. Time will tell.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard can pass the ball! He has a 61.6% completion rate with 11 TD's.

I agree he has accuracy issues though. He looked great against Maryland when I was at that game. I was also at the Okie St game, and he looked awful in the first half... throwing over the head of open receivers... throwing short of an open receiver. But, he made some awesome throws in the 2nd half... into very tight windows.

He is like a streak shooter in basketball... I guess. The question for me... can Dana find a way to get him into a good rhythm and allow his confidence to help him get a good start?

I think this can happen with the shallow and mesh routes...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard can pass the ball! He has a 61.6% completion rate with 11 TD's.

I agree he has accuracy issues though. He looked great against Maryland when I was at that game. I was also at the Okie St game, and he looked awful in the first half... throwing over the head of open receivers... throwing short of an open receiver. But, he made some awesome throws in the 2nd half... into very tight windows.

He is like a streak shooter in basketball... I guess. The question for me... can Dana find a way to get him into a good rhythm and allow his confidence to help him get a good start?

I think this can happen with the shallow and mesh routes...

BB..Which throws??:scratch:..the perfectly thrown interception right to the safety inside his own 30 yard line that pretty much cost Wv the ball game in the 4th quarter?:lol:

Honestly..you will have to pull some clips of what you are referring to, other than the bomb he hit to Gibson I didn't see much else..and even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then..

Please don't use Maryland as a benchmark...their Head Coach has been fired for their stellar efforts!..talk about a program in complete disarray! Mike Locksley..sexual harassment and punches one of his assistant coaches...is the new HC for Maryland..over/under bet how on the AD's departure at Maryland??:herbie:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the 2nd half passes which really impressed me...

1st possession - 4th and 7 at OSU 40 - 11 yd to Durante
3rd possession - 1st and 10 at WVU 36 - 7 yd to Shorts... really tight window.
5th possession - 1st and 15 at OSU 42 - 11 yd to Gibson
- 3rd and 2 at OSU 29 - 5 yd to Shorts... really tight window! Skyler running to left too!
Next to last possession - 1st and 10 at OSU 35 - 11 yd to Squirt... right on money! Tight window..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the 2nd half passes which really impressed me...

1st possession - 4th and 7 at OSU 40 - 11 yd to Durante
3rd possession - 1st and 10 at WVU 36 - 7 yd to Shorts... really tight window.
5th possession - 1st and 15 at OSU 42 - 11 yd to Gibson
- 3rd and 2 at OSU 29 - 5 yd to Shorts... really tight window! Skyler running to left too!
Next to last possession - 1st and 10 at OSU 35 - 11 yd to Squirt... right on money! Tight window..

I don't know..I just seem to get this sick feeling in my stomach every time he drops back in the pocket and starts the HAPPY DANCE...and then tries to throw it over his two guards and center...:scared::scared:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know..I just seem to get this sick feeling in my stomach every time he drops back in the pocket and starts the HAPPY DANCE...and then tries to throw it over his two guards and center...:scared::scared:
You aren't alone there!!! The architect of the air raid has managed to build a Woody Hayes football team and is trying to run a passing attack with it. I think the best offensive gameplan for this team right now is the wishbone, put Smallwood, Shell, and Howard in the backfield and run like crazy, and this team can win.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren't alone there!!! The architect of the air raid has managed to build a Woody Hayes football team and is trying to run a passing attack with it. I think the best offensive gameplan for this team right now is the wishbone, put Smallwood, Shell, and Howard in the backfield and run like crazy, and this team can win.
Like to see Crest at the QB spot running RichRods offense at this point with our RB's.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear you. I was screaming at him in the first half of last week's game. I'm not sure if he heard me or not…

Dana addressed the issues with Skyler at his presser today. His comments were very similar to those I've made here.

BlueGoldSports.com ‏@Blue_GoldSports 10h10 hours ago
DH says WV is struggling in the pass game. 3/4 new receivers need to know their routes and the quarterback needs to settle down

DH says Skyler needs to slow down and go from point A to point B. The relationship Clint and Kevin had isn't there.

DH says they are going to go out there and run a bunch of routes and throw a bunch of balls in practice