• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Danny Kelly's FA thoughts

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Fieldgulls:

Taking a look down NFL.com's Top 99 free agents list, there are more than a few names that are certainly interesting to me as potential Seahawks targets. Let's go down the list and point out a few.

7. Mario Williams, Buffalo Bills defensive end: It's hard to pass up Williams' name. He's been one of the best pass rushers in the NFL for the last decade and while he's 31 and his numbers were way down last year, you can't ignore what he's done over the years (he was All Pro in 2014). Will the Seahawks have enough money to pursue Williams on the open market? Probably not. But, imagine putting him on a line with Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, which would give him a lot of one-on-one opportunities in pass rushing situations. After watching what the Broncos did in the Super Bowl with their multiple pass rush, you know there's going to be a lot of teams intrigued with adding Williams.

19. Alex Mack, Cleveland Browns center: Already talked about him today. An All Pro level center that has been remarkably healthy throughout his career. Going to demand a lot of money, but a very good player at a position of need for Seattle. Experience in the zone blocking scheme.

24. George Iloka, Cincinnati Bengals safety: If there's anyone that actually comes close to matching Kam Chancellor's skill-set, it's Illoka. I imagine he'll fetch a lot of money on the open market but with the relationship between the Seahawks and Chancellor still up in the air right now, Seattle could be looking to replace him sooner than later. I don't think Kelcie McCray is necessarily a true "replacement" for Kam.

25. Chris Long, Los Angeles Rams defensive end: Has battled injuries the last two years and production has dipped terribly. In a rotational role as a pass rusher though, he could be very interesting.

26. Nick Fairley, Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle: Another situational interior pass rusher. Kind of in the Clinton McDonald/Jordan Hill mold.

29. Alex Boone, San Francisco 49ers guard: Tough, nasty interior lineman. Tons of experience in the NFC West. Would replace J.R. Sweezy if Sweezy gets a lot of money on the open market.

35. Ian Williams, San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle: An option is Ahtyba Rubin or Brandon Mebane leaves in free agency. Versatile and stout.

36. Kelvin Beachum, Pittsburgh Steelers tackle: Tore his ACL in October so he's an injury red flag, but was a high-quality starting left tackle for the Steelers prior to the injury. Is still just 26. For what it's worth, Russell Okung came in at #17 on this list.

37. Walter Thurmond, Philadelphia Eagles safety: It's a little surprising to see Thurmond this high on the list but as has been the case with his entire career, talent isn't the big question mark -- it's whether or not he can stay healthy. He's a guy that can play safety for Seattle in theory, but would have value as a corner and nickelback. A reunion here in Seattle would be pretty cool.

38. Mitchell Schwartz, Cleveland Browns tackle: Another solid starter-level tackle on the open market. Played in a zone blocking scheme so that's a good fit. Started on the right side so if a move for Garry Gilliam to the left were in the works, he could be a real option.

39. Ladarius Green, San Diego Chargers tight end: Speed at the tight end position. I'm guessing that Seattle won't sink any more money into this spot, but if they do, I would guess that Green would be their top target.

42. Casey Hayward, Green Bay Packers cornerback: Very versatile defensive back that can play outside or inside. I don't know if Seattle would do the outside free agency thing at this spot after the Cary Williams disaster last year, but Hayward is a talented guy.

43. Aldon Smith, Oakland Raiders pass rusher: Suspended until November (and may not be back at all next year) but stayed out of trouble last year with the Raiders. Is a supremely talented pass rusher and pass rushers are highly in demand. Would not surprise me if the Seahawks kick the tires here and see if they can work out a contingency-based contract.

52. Mark Barron, Los Angeles Rams linebacker: Made a nice comeback after being a bust in Tampa Bay, making the switch to linebacker in St. Louis. He just seems like the type of player that Pete Carroll could find a role for. Not sure what type of market he'll have, but if he's cheapish, would be fun to see him as an in-the-box safety or weak-side linebacker type for Seattle.

53. Anquan Boldin, San Francisco 49ers wide receiver: I love Anquan Boldin. His numbers dipped this past year with crappy quarterback play but he's still one of the toughest and savviest receivers in the NFL. Would love to see him in Seattle, but doubt the Seahawks would use much money at that spot right now.

58. Alfred Morris, Washington Redskins running back: This is market-based, and if Morris gets little or no market, I could see the Seahawks showing interest. Tons of experience in the zone blocking scheme. Tough, reliable, and hard nosed. Everyone loves him. Can't catch for shit but could give Thomas Rawls some spells on early downs.

59. Brandon Brooks, Houston Texans guard: Another guy with a lot of experience in the zone blocking scheme. Started all but four games of the Texans last three seasons. Just 26.

61. Mohamed Sanu, Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver: Big, physical. Probably a good Jermaine Kearse comp.

66. Jahri Evans, New Orleans Saints guard: I don't know if he'd fit in Seattle's system at this point but he protected another short quarterback for a long time and Seattle needs a guy or two that can pass protect in the inside.

69. Junior Galette, Washington Redskins pass rusher: Galette served a two-game suspension for a domestic abuse incident so he may not be on the Seahawks radar at all, but he is a talented pass rusher when healthy. He's looking for a one-year prove it deal and if the health thing checks out (he's coming off a torn achilles) he might be an interesting target.

71. William Hayes, Los Angeles Rams defensive end: Has always been an underrated defensive end and plays with fire and toughness. Will probably end up back with the Rams but he's a guy to keep an eye on. He's a weirdo that doesn't believe in dinosaurs but believes in mermaids so his out-there personality type probably fit right in with Michael Bennett and the Seahawks.

72. Dwight Freeney, Arizona Cardinals pass rusher: Was productive for the Cardinals down the stretch. I want Seattle to upgrade their pass rush depth so getting a situational guy like Freeney would be a-ok in my book.

77. Nick Perry, Green Bay Packers pass rusher: Played for Pete Carroll for a few years so the Seahawks will have unique information on him as a player. The market for Perry will be interesting to monitor. He was obviously a freak of nature type athlete coming out but never really turned into the pass-rushing talent that the Packers hoped for.

83. Stefen Wisniewski, Jacksonville Jaguars center: The Seahawks pursued him a little bit last year but he ultimately signed in Jacksonville. I wonder if after the debacle at center last year that maybe Seattle will loosen up the purse strings? Will be interesting to see.

85. Zach Brown, Tennessee Titans linebacker: Speed, speed, speed.

90. Brian Quick, Los Angeles Rams wide receiver: Physical talent, physical talent, physical talent. Has been injured a lot but still has upside.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only person the hawks should spend money to sign would be alex mack and I am sure he will be looking to get paid as well as the rest of the guys the top of that list. We do not need to sign big time free agents on defense I mean cliff avril and Michael Bennett did not look for a mega contract the coaching staff and management just need to look for players they feel that can fit their scheme. We were one of the best if not the best defense these last few years and we didn't have a 14 sack DE pass rusher so IMO we do not need to go out and spend what little we have on someone like Mario Williams

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL needs to be our area of concern, and potentially rb depth. Everything else we should be able to accomplish through the draft (including our rb depth).

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally I agree that we will not be making a big splash in the FA market but:

*If Seattle decides to/or cannot resign Mebane or Rubin, then the DT position could be addressed in FA.

*If Kam makes a big problem again this offseason and ends up being traded, SS could be addressed in FA.

*Restructuring of contracts (particularly Graham) could free up some money, allowing some FA activity.

*Seattle could surprise us all by making an unexpected move (as they have done in the past).

Probably not too much action in FA, but there will be some depth signings and maybe a splashy move(?)

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see the Seahawks prioritize the offensive line and the interior of the defensive line. Brandon Mebane had long been one of the most underrated players on the Seahawks defensive line, but the fact is that he really fell off this year and at 31 he is not getting any better. Rubin was equally as lackluster.

Aldon Smith is a really, really interesting option although he doesn't fit the above criteria. Someone could really hit the lotto with him. It's hard to ignore that he had 33.5 sacks during his first two seasons in the NFL.

Also, the Seahawks need to find a replacement for Bruce Irvin. I could see the Seahawks taking a flier on a guy like Chris Long to fill the pass rush aspect of Irvin's game while drafting a more conventional weakside linebacker in the middle of the draft.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to figure out the Kam and Bennet situations quickly so they can plan accordingly.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see the Seahawks prioritize the offensive line and the interior of the defensive line. Brandon Mebane had long been one of the most underrated players on the Seahawks defensive line, but the fact is that he really fell off this year and at 31 he is not getting any better. Rubin was equally as lackluster.

Aldon Smith is a really, really interesting option although he doesn't fit the above criteria. Someone could really hit the lotto with him. It's hard to ignore that he had 33.5 sacks during his first two seasons in the NFL.

Also, the Seahawks need to find a replacement for Bruce Irvin. I could see the Seahawks taking a flier on a guy like Chris Long to fill the pass rush aspect of Irvin's game while drafting a more conventional weakside linebacker in the middle of the draft.

I think you're being a little hard on Mebane and Rubin. The run defense's performance argues against them falling off as far as you indicate.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're being a little hard on Mebane and Rubin. The run defense's performance argues against them falling off as far as you indicate.

Avril and Bennett both played exceptional against the run, and KJ Wright really stepped up this year, making up for the poor production from Mebane and Rubin.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avril and Bennett both played exceptional against the run, and KJ Wright really stepped up this year, making up for the poor production from Mebane and Rubin.

I get saying that about Mebane, since he was hurt - but given the cost Rubin came in, what did you read at any point during the year to suggest that he wasn't doing his job?

Everything I remember reading/hearing was that he was doing exactly what they thought he would.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only person the hawks should spend money to sign would be alex mack and I am sure he will be looking to get paid as well as the rest of the guys the top of that list. We do not need to sign big time free agents on defense I mean cliff avril and Michael Bennett did not look for a mega contract the coaching staff and management just need to look for players they feel that can fit their scheme. We were one of the best if not the best defense these last few years and we didn't have a 14 sack DE pass rusher so IMO we do not need to go out and spend what little we have on someone like Mario Williams

If it was just about money for Mack he wouldnt have voided 3 years at 8 mil a piece with the Browns. I think he wants to win, and is a very real possibility for the Hawks.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to figure out the Kam and Bennet situations quickly so they can plan accordingly.

Im sure they already have figured out what they want to do with those guys. And its likely to stand pat and keep them on their current deals.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was just about money for Mack he wouldnt have voided 3 years at 8 mil a piece with the Browns. I think he wants to win, and is a very real possibility for the Hawks.

Even if it isn't just about money, I doubt he comes cheap. Perhaps if they can't sign Okung they could spring for him. However he is 30 and not inexpensive , not really the kind of signing the Seahawks usually seek.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get saying that about Mebane, since he was hurt - but given the cost Rubin came in, what did you read at any point during the year to suggest that he wasn't doing his job?

Everything I remember reading/hearing was that he was doing exactly what they thought he would.

Let me preface this by saying I agree with PFF's analysis around 90% of the time and feel as if they're the best scouting agency that fans can access.

That being said, PFF ranked Brandon Mebane 64th out of 71 qualifying defensive tackles and Rubin wasn't much better. Rubin was one of those guys who was coming off of a poor season with the Browns, yet prior had been an elite run stuffing DT and the Seahawks signed him based on the hope that he could rebound and he didn't.

When watching the defense, I noticed that the most successful runs teams would have would typically be in the A gap and sometimes the B gap, which is the responsibility of the DTs. Further away from the A gap that runs went, the less successful they would be since Avril and Bennett both played the run so well last year.

I hate to say it, but Mebane is done now. He had long been one of the most underrated 4-3 DTs in the NFL (IMO) but he failed to get back to form. Jordan Hill showed flashes at times, but I'd let both Mebane and Rubin walk. If either can be retained (preferably Mebane) on a small contract that would be ideal since they've already been in the system. Adding a guy like Nick Fairley would be great for the Seahawks as I feel as if he would thrive in the Seahawks defense. Fairley is a guy I could see the Seahawks going hard after, he has been under the radar similar to how Bennett was before we added him. I think Fairley would be a monster in the Seahawks defense.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Fairly play the run well? I know he penetrates well up the middle, but Seattle hasn't asked their base DTs to do that under Carroll.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like rubin signed a 3 year deal to stay a seahawk, dont know how much for though.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure on details but Seahawks will make an offer to Mebane.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rubun was a huge reason We maintained the #1 rush D this year. Mebbane was also big.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be interesting to see the details of the contract. As long as it's cap friendly I like this signing.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article back in January on Rubin, it disputes what I've heard from some hear on the play of the interior of the DL.

Rubin's Cube

"Oh, and Football Outsiders tells us that the Hawks DL led the NFL in Adjusted Line Yards on runs up the middle, which accounts for roughly half of all running plays."

Screenshot%20-%203_8_2016%20%203_20_19%20AM.png

However Mebane #s don't look so good. Surprised to see Hills stats, better then I would have figured.