• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Czech Republic vs. USA - WJHC

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a reason hockey is beginning to die out in Eastern Europe? Slovakia and Czech Republic were formidable teams once upon a time, now they don't have many players entering the draft and in these tournaments they don't seem to even come close to USA/Canada etc.

A lot more players from Europe go to play in Juniors now, that's part of it I would think

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Czech Republic and Slovakia still develop very good players, but they have a limited talent pool to select from. As DaBolts mentioned. money is an issue, but results also dictate how the money is allocated. Soccer is still the number one team sport in those countries with likely basketball and hockey fighting for the no. 2 spot. Also, tennis is a big sport especially in the Czech Republic and throughout Eastern Europe.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Czech Republic and Slovakia still develop very good players, but they have a limited talent pool to select from. As DaBolts mentioned. money is an issue, but results also dictate how the money is allocated. Soccer is still the number one team sport in those countries with likely basketball and hockey fighting for the no. 2 spot. Also, tennis is a big sport especially in the Czech Republic and throughout Eastern Europe.

I'm amazed with how Serbia has produced a number of really good Tennis players considering the conditions they had to deal with.

Hertl is the latest star to come from Czech Republic/Slovakia. They still produce them. It's just harder now.

It's like how the Soviet Union & Romania dominated Women's Gymanstics. Now there are all kinds of smaller countries in the former Soviet Union who have to field their own teams & they've lost a lot of coaches to the United States & other parts of the world. Money is an issue in Romania & they to have lost many of their top coaches most notably Bella Karolyi.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish there could be a way for hockey to be cheaper...man that'd open up some talent. I'd say the biggest issue with the development in the US is ice availability. Western PA is starting to pump out some good talent (was a BIG part of last years team, and Riley Barber is a Pittsburgh kid this year), but it could ramp it up even more if there were more rinks. The Pens are doing their part with their new facility up in Cranberry, which will have about 3 rinks. I asked to play when I was young, but told no because my cousin who played had 4 am practices, etc. due to ice time. Just wish it was easier to get into...because then we'd see some of those athletes choosing to play it.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish there could be a way for hockey to be cheaper...man that'd open up some talent. I'd say the biggest issue with the development in the US is ice availability. Western PA is starting to pump out some good talent (was a BIG part of last years team, and Riley Barber is a Pittsburgh kid this year), but it could ramp it up even more if there were more rinks. The Pens are doing their part with their new facility up in Cranberry, which will have about 3 rinks. I asked to play when I was young, but told no because my cousin who played had 4 am practices, etc. due to ice time. Just wish it was easier to get into...because then we'd see some of those athletes choosing to play it.

There are ice rinks all over the United States, not just cold weather states. USA hockey is alive & well. The money is their & the players are getting good coaching as well. The biggest problem I have with the way USA hockey is being run is they don't allow any checking until kids are 12 or 13 now. I think that's a mistake.