• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cyrus Jones: 'I reached a point where I didn't even want to play'

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling we'll be seeing a better Jones next season.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots cornerback Cyrus Jones, the team's top draft choice from 2016 who endured a challenging rookie season, shared some thoughts with the Baltimore Sun during a community appearance last week in his native Maryland at Leith Walk Elementary/Middle School.

"I'll never take credit for something I don't feel I contributed to," Jones told the Sun. "I was part of the team, but I didn't feel a part of it. ...

"I honestly felt cursed. I reached a point where I didn't even want to play. I just didn't have it."

Jones was inactive for five of the team's final six games, including Super Bowl LI. He had ball-security struggles as a returner, as well as some issues with judgment.

Jones acknowledged that he's heard criticism from the media and it stings, and while he appreciated the support of teammates, he sounded like he didn't think he deserved it.

"What I did this year was not me," he told the Sun. "I don't care how anybody tries to sugarcoat it. Yes, I was a rookie. But I feel I should always be one of the best players on the field, no matter where I am."

As for Super Bowl LI, Jones was happy for his teammates, but at the same time told the Sun: "Honestly, it was hell for me. That's the only way I can describe it. I didn't feel I deserved to be part of anything that was happening with the team. I felt embarrassed that these people probably thought they wasted a pick on me."

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point it certainly does appear that NE wasted a pick on Cyrus, but the book is not closed ........ yet.

BB obviously saw real talent and some intelligence or else he wouldn't have drafted him at all, let alone as a 2nd rounder. It's up to Cyrus to dedicate himself to football and football only so he can regain his confidence.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry Cyrus it showed. If you never play another snap in a NE uniform I won't lose any sleep.
No 1st round pick last year thanks to Heir Roger. Cyrus's performance basically took away NEs top pick.Yet NE still won the SB. Imagine the possibilites this year if JG gets dealt?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's refreshing to read such simple honesty. I wish the guy luck.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point it certainly does appear that NE wasted a pick on Cyrus, but the book is not closed ........ yet.

BB obviously saw real talent and some intelligence or else he wouldn't have drafted him at all, let alone as a 2nd rounder. It's up to Cyrus to dedicate himself to football and football only so he can regain his confidence.

Cyrus should go visit Edelman's counselor.
Cyrus needs to find a way to get over failures . Great players make mistakes and move on.....

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cyrus should go visit Edelman's counselor.
Cyrus needs to find a way to get over failures . Great players make mistakes and move on.....

The only play that matters is the next one, and did you learn anything from the last one.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading where some said he had some solid game this yr at CB. The punt drops killed this kid. I can only imagine how hard it is for a rookie to field punts in the NFL. I remember when JE11 could not field punts and dropped a lot of them. Well, he is pretty good now. IF Dola is back, just let him field the punts. Let Jones just play football and get the confidence he needs at CB.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading where some said he had some solid game this yr at CB. The punt drops killed this kid. I can only imagine how hard it is for a rookie to field punts in the NFL. I remember when JE11 could not field punts and dropped a lot of them. Well, he is pretty good now. IF Dola is back, just let him field the punts. Let Jones just play football and get the confidence he needs at CB.
I wish NE could find a ST player tyat could returm kicks and punts. Leave the starters JE & DA on the sideline. I hate seeing those guys back there. Trade Cyrus for a dependable returner and a box of mouth guards.
BB saw something in him obviously, I'm just not sure what. NE won despite him.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem for Cyrus Jones is the Patriots!
He's a rookie trying to find a place on a Superbowl team. Hard to learn fast enough when you can't get on the field. I believe he has what it takes to play - if he can get cleaned out between the ears.....

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish NE could find a ST player tyat could returm kicks and punts. Leave the starters JE & DA on the sideline. I hate seeing those guys back there. Trade Cyrus for a dependable returner and a box of mouth guards.
BB saw something in him obviously, I'm just not sure what. NE won despite him.

The kid played at a high level at Bama and was one of the best return guys in the country. He played good at CB for a rookie. I am not trading him for anything. If Glass Dowling can be on this team for 3 yrs, so can Jones. Ask Edelman how returning punts went when he was a rookie, pretty sure you're glad they kept him.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid played at a high level at Bama and was one of the best return guys in the country. He played good at CB for a rookie. I am not trading him for anything. If Glass Dowling can be on this team for 3 yrs, so can Jones. Ask Edelman how returning punts went when he was a rookie, pretty sure you're glad they kept him.
Ok you keep him. This isn't college any more. If he was 1/2 as productive last year as he was in college he would've earned his salary. At this point if I had to keep a roster spot for him or release him, I'm releasing him. He wasn't on the field enough to value him the way you are. He's likely not going anywhere so I pray he proves me wrong.

BTW JE wasn't a returner in college unlike your boy Cyrus. Not only did Cryrus not hold onto the ball, one of Bill's priorties but his decision making was horrendous. Part of the reason BB selected him was for his ST abilities.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok you keep him. This isn't college any more. If he was 1/2 as productive last year as he was in college he would've earned his salary. At this point if I had to keep a roster spot for him or release him, I'm releasing him. He wasn't on the field enough to value him the way you are. He's likely not going anywhere so I pray he proves me wrong.

BTW JE wasn't a returner in college unlike your boy Cyrus. Not only did Cryrus not hold onto the ball, one of Bill's priorties but his decision making was horrendous. Part of the reason BB selected him was for his ST abilities.

LOL...my boy....smh

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look he fumbled yet again.......

Got to give the guy credit for manning up... I still think he can do it and he will use next season to prove it

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look he fumbled yet again.......

Got to give the guy credit for manning up... I still think he can do it and he will use next season to prove it
I hope you guys are right. Otherwise what a waste of a pick and a wasted roster spot, for two years.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you guys are right. Otherwise what a waste of a pick and a wasted roster spot, for two years.

True - But BB did see something in him and this year he really wasn't special and you can tell he's upset about it and would want nothing better than to right a "wrong"

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to talk a waste of a 2nd rd pick...how about we look at Richards.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to talk a waste of a 2nd rd pick...how about we look at Richards.
You won't get an argument out of me. Not sure why BB struggles with selecting DBs? Or why he feels he needs to take 6th round talent in the 2nd? On Richards side there was no way he'd be taking snaps away from Chung so his field time (-) STs.
This is why so many of us are left scratching our heads after watching BB on draft day.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team is the team and where any one player was drafted pales in comparison to the team as a whole. The draft is only 1 piece of personnel decisions. There's also rookie and veteran free agents as well as the process of deciding who to keep or let walk and their values vs the cost to keep.

I think the Pats winning has about 80% to do with their overall personnel decisions and about 20% related to coaching in general.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team is the team and where any one player was drafted pales in comparison to the team as a whole. The draft is only 1 piece of personnel decisions. There's also rookie and veteran free agents as well as the process of deciding who to keep or let walk and their values vs the cost to keep.

I think the Pats winning has about 80% to do with their overall personnel decisions and about 20% related to coaching in general.
Do you work in HR? Recruiter possibly:scratch:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You won't get an argument out of me.
Not sure why BB struggles with selecting DBs? Or why he feels he needs to take 6th round talent in the 2nd? On Richards side there was no way he'd be taking snaps away from Chung so his field time (-) STs.
This is why so many of us are left scratching our heads after watching BB on draft day.

BB picked Ryan, Ebner, Harmon, and McCourty, all solid members of the last 2 Superbowl winning teams.
Richards and Jones will get their chances......