• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Curved glass to replace turnbuckles?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It certainly looks that way...

After hundreds of hours of testing that included the use of crash-test dummies, the NHL has developed a curved-glass system that will replace the padded turnbuckles, which were set on the stanchions at the end of each player bench.

The curved glass flows from the glass above the boards and runs away from the ice. It is designed to eliminate the solid termination point that used to be in place due to the 90-degree angle that was created by the two sections of glass coming together at the end of each player bench.

The curved glass will not be padded because the physics of it declare it doesn't have to be. The glass is designed to deflect any player who skates into it back into the field of play.

"That's because it's free-flowing," Craig said. "The curve itself is a continuation of the straight line from the glass and then it bends around. There is no place to put a pad. If you put a pad there, you create a hazard of having a shoulder stick and twist because this is a free-flowing system. If you're coming down the wall at the players' bench and there is contact, your shoulder will deflect off of that and you'll continue into the play."

League to test curved glass at player benches - 2011 NHL Research, Development and Orientation Camp

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be crazy if a hit broke the curved pane.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
George Steel won't like that.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
article wont come up on my screen, but the way i'm picturing it, its not going to work?

i figure i must be wrong, but i'm picture a curve to replace the 90 degree turn.. so a pretty sharp curve, almost like a quarter circle.. it must not be the drastic.. running into that would hurt like a bitch too

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the "curved" section would be considered part of the bench so if a puck were to hit that part it would be the same as hitting a player.

Yes, I think you're right dave, and a whistle should stop the play if that occurs.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
It'll be interesting to see how the puck plays off the curved glass.

I wonder if the "curved" section would be considered part of the bench so if a puck were to hit that part it would be the same as hitting a player.

turnbuckles are currently set back a bit from the boards (in MOST arenas), so if the puck hits the turnbuckle it is deemed out of play.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember thinking they were going to fix those a few years ago when Smyth got creamed.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get a good Vibe off of this. At least not for head contact, just a bad feeling