• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a insider report on ESPN that there is a rumor Doug Fister may sign with the Giants. I like the pitcher (especially since he's a Bulldog alum) but why? The only guy the team would move from the rotation right now would be Ty Blach, after one bad start. This team has a lot of troubles. The idea of competing in 2017 is beginning to look ludicrous. Now is the time to give Blach a good month or two to see what he can do. Its not the time to bring in more scrubs. That hasn't worked yet this season. Do not hit the panic button FO!
Sorry, it wasn't an insider report - Rumor Central: Doug Fister close to signing?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a insider report on ESPN that there is a rumor Doug Fister may sign with the Giants. I like the pitcher (especially since he's a Bulldog alum) but why? The only guy the team would move from the rotation right now would be Ty Blach, after one bad start. This team has a lot of troubles. The idea of competing in 2017 is beginning to look ludicrous. Now is the time to give Blach a good month or two to see what he can do. Its not the time to bring in more scrubs. That hasn't worked yet this season. Do not hit the panic button FO!
There have rumors for a while about this. And I agree. It just doesn't make sense.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those 2-3 guys didn't exist. And we had a lot of guys coming back/coming up who would fill that job. That high-inning reliever guy you want doesn't exist in the game today. Not in the regular season, at least.

There's a few around, but I mispoke. I only mean guys that aren't limited to 1 inning in a 1, 2 or 3 run game. Melancon is tied for the 2nd fewest innings among our regular relievers. If you take or Ramirez (since he's not on the team), he's tied for the fewest.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a few around, but I mispoke. I only mean guys that aren't limited to 1 inning in a 1, 2 or 3 run game. Melancon is tied for the 2nd fewest innings among our regular relievers. If you take or Ramirez (since he's not on the team), he's tied for the fewest.
We are in complete agreement about the absurdity of the Save and how closers are used.

But every interview I hear with pitchers who HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN ON THE MOUND IN AN MLB GAME says that the 9th inning is just a different beast, and requires a certain mindset.

Who am I to argue with those who gave actually experienced what we are theoretically discussing?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are in complete agreement about the absurdity of the Save and how closers are used.

But every interview I hear with pitchers who HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN ON THE MOUND IN AN MLB GAME says that the 9th inning is just a different beast, and requires a certain mindset.

Who am I to argue with those who gave actually experienced what we are theoretically discussing?

My first move as Commish would be to abolish the save. It's all a mindset. Some theorize that pitchers actually pitch poorly in non-save situations after they are anointed closers so they can only pitch in save situations and rack up more saves which will make them more money. I don't go that far, but I 100% believe it's all just a mindset that, with time, could be ironed out.

Baseball would be so much better off without it. We got on a real tangent here :D

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first move as Commish would be to abolish the save. It's all a mindset. Some theorize that pitchers actually pitch poorly in non-save situations after they are anointed closers so they can only pitch in save situations and rack up more saves which will make them more money. I don't go that far, but I 100% believe it's all just a mindset that, with time, could be ironed out.

Baseball would be so much better off without it. We got on a real tangent here :D
Would you rather talk about the play on the field?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even if baseball were to "officially" eliminate the save stat, sites like BBR would still track it. I don't believe that MLB officially recognizes stats such as WAR or WHIP or OPS, yet those are widely used and recognized stats.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if baseball were to "officially" eliminate the save stat, sites like BBR would still track it. I don't believe that MLB officially recognizes stats such as WAR or WHIP or OPS, yet those are widely used and recognized stats.

They can track it all they want. I'd be okay with keeping holds and having every pitcher just earn a hold. Of course, then we'd get stats like wH+

Just put all relievers on a level playing field.

Of course, it also takes managers having the balls to put in their best pitcher in the 6th inning even if it's the right thing to do. Some are coming around.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...

Moronta given the call...

I approve.

Not many guys rose their stock higher than this guy in 1+ year.

98-100 mph fastball, hard slider.

edit: could only be for this game though. He's the closest pitcher available.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craw and Span both activated. I have not seen the corresponding moves yet.

Gotta assume KT is going back down. The other move is either Moronta going back down or Gorkys DFA.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gillaspie goes to the 10-day with "back spasms". Still no official word on the other move.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craw and Span both activated. I have not seen the corresponding moves yet.

Gotta assume KT is going back down. The other move is either Moronta going back down or Gorkys DFA.

Gillaspie goes to the 10-day with "back spasms". Still no official word on the other move.
sfgiants.com only has Moronta being optioned back to Richmond in the transaction page.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news for Moronta is that he will "be in Sacramento soon" according to Bobby Evans.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that interview, and I gotta say, I don't fully agree with Evans' statement.

So he "miscalculated" by not factoring in that BOTH Mac AND Parker would go down to injury? I get it that Parker was not hitting. But it was always assumed that Parker and Mac would battle it out, and one would emerge as at least a decent MLB LFer. When Parker failed, Mac was not there to get his shot.

How is that a miscalculation?

Signing Marerro or Stubbs or Morse or Ruggiano were all minor bandaids. I can't blame the FO for those not panning out. Choosing to sign Cueto AND Sammy instead of over-paying for Cespedes (who has only continually stated that he never had any desire to play in SF) is hardly the FO's fault either. How about their utter failure to trade the farm for an over-paid, Steroid-painted Braun? Nope, no blame coming from me.

I suspect Evans made that statement to appease the dullard fan and the loudmouth KNBR mic-jockeys (namely Kruger and Fitz)

That blowhard's solution to every Giant problem ever has been "spend more money."

And Fitz is a toolish toad house organ for the Ws. Can't STAND his "takes" on AL vs. NL ball.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Hunter is one of those guys who comes in and says, ‘I feel great. I’m ready to go,’” Bochy said. “I’m saying this in a good way, not a negative way, but we’ve lost a little trust in him when he says he’s ready to go. It’s up to me to adjust his playing time.”

I get that these guys are competitive but when it hurts the team they need to realize that and stop the "trying to play through it" mentality.