• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. See?

Seriously, though..

Morse = power bat off the bench (but does he really?)

Gorkys = ++ OF defense (despite the defensive year he has shown us so far)

Hill = defensive flexibility (don't we have that in Nunez and KT already?)

IMHO, Gorkys is the only one that really has any business on the roster, and even that is by a shoestring because he has performed like shit. And Ruggiano plays CF, which is the only job security I think Gorkys really has.
I was rooting for Gorkys to be on the team this year too. He hit well in his time with the team in 2016. However, he has not looked good, offensively or from what I've read, defensively. If Ruggiano can at least play as well defensively as him and is out hitting him, there is no reason to keep Gorkys. He has yet to show that he is the next Blanco.

What I think is one of the stranger things about these positional flexibility guys is how they got that label in the first place. Did they have to bounce from one position to another in college and then the minor leagues to make the big league club and from that they earned the label? I ask because it seems that many of those guys (but not all) aren't that good defensively at any of their positions. But because they are willing to play multiple positions or had to play multiple positions in their career, they suddenly have a leg up on those for whom the club hasn't tried at other positions.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a big difference between NOT playing a position, and just not playing it very well. If a guy plays 3B, but not very well, that is still LIGHT YEARS ahead of a guy who simple doesn't play it. So once a guy gets enough experience there to at least know what he is supposed to do, it is in his arsenal and can play in a pinch at least and risk injury.

Hill was a solid starter in the bigs for years. But the last few he has been acting as a util. What does that mean? I am not sure. But you can put him anywhere and he won't completely embarrass you and shouldn't get hurt on a routine play.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize that Conor Gillaspie had also started his rehab assignment. Hill has played two games in Sacramento already and Gillaspie has played 3 games. Some really interesting decisions will be coming up soon. Decisions on these two have to be made within 2 weeks.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize that Conor Gillaspie had also started his rehab assignment. Hill has played two games in Sacramento already and Gillaspie has played 3 games. Some really interesting decisions will be coming up soon. Decisions on these two have to be made within 2 weeks.
KNBR has already been planting the seed of Arroyo getting sent down. You gotta think that has been planted by the Giants to lessen the potential blowback.

I still can't see that happening. He has playing everyday, and his crap BA is the exact opposite of a hollow BA. Dude produces when it matters.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KNBR has already been planting the seed of Arroyo getting sent down. You gotta think that has been planted by the Giants to lessen the potential blowback.

I still can't see that happening. He has playing everyday, and his crap BA is the exact opposite of a hollow BA. Dude produces when it matters.

i don't see the point in sending arroyo down. he obviously can handle the stage, he's producing, and learning

team isn't going anywhere.. arroyo is becoming a fan favorite

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't see the point in sending arroyo down. he obviously can handle the stage, he's producing, and learning

team isn't going anywhere.. arroyo is becoming a fan favorite
Playing Devils Advocate...

He is scuffling. Send him down for a month or so and let him work on the things he has learned against lessor competition so he gets a good deal of success along with the failure.

That said, he is not a black hole on the team. Even when he goes 0-5, he is playing stellar D and (it looks like, at least) adding lots of energy to the dugout/clubhouse. As long as he doesn't take his hitting struggles to the field with him, let him learn in the bigs. The game isn't too big for him, as evidenced by his Saturday AB.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing Devils Advocate...

He is scuffling. Send him down for a month or so and let him work on the things he has learned against lessor competition so he gets a good deal of success along with the failure.

That said, he is not a black hole on the team. Even when he goes 0-5, he is playing stellar D and (it looks like, at least) adding lots of energy to the dugout/clubhouse. As long as he doesn't take his hitting struggles to the field with him, let him learn in the bigs. The game isn't too big for him, as evidenced by his Saturday AB.
If he is playing everyday (neither Gillaspie nor Hill should play regularly over him), he is learning and he isn't keeping someone else out of the lineup that should be playing, I see no reason to send him down. Yet, I think that is the most likely result. But with both Hill and Gillaspie coming back, I bet that the Giants sends Williamson back down too. Because veterans scuffling is much better than rookies scuffling.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is playing everyday (neither Gillaspie nor Hill should play regularly over him), he is learning and he isn't keeping someone else out of the lineup that should be playing, I see no reason to send him down. Yet, I think that is the most likely result. But with both Hill and Gillaspie coming back, I bet that the Giants sends Williamson back down too. Because veterans scuffling is much better than rookies scuffling.
I hope you are wrong, but I fear you are not.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last I heard, Bochy said that Arroyo wasn't going anywhere. I think it was about a week ago.

He's putting up good AB's, walking at a decent rate (7.4%), not striking out unbearably much (23.1%, needs to go down, but not terrible), he sees the 3rd most pitches per PA behind Belt and Gorkys, his .264 BABIP is lower than average, he needs to hit more fly balls and barrel the ball up a bit more. I think he should be improving on all those things here though.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dunno. If his average slides below Mendoza, then I could see a rationale to send him down to work through it while Hill/Conor/Nuner get the ABs at 3B.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I heard, Bochy said that Arroyo wasn't going anywhere. I think it was about a week ago.

He's putting up good AB's, walking at a decent rate (7.4%), not striking out unbearably much (23.1%, needs to go down, but not terrible), he sees the 3rd most pitches per PA behind Belt and Gorkys, his .264 BABIP is lower than average, he needs to hit more fly balls and barrel the ball up a bit more. I think he should be improving on all those things here though.

Back to the BABIP wars: I think he could just be unlucky, which means that Belt has been lucky most of his career.

I'm conflicted.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So who gets sent down? Or DL'ed?

Neither of these guys was pulling his weight when they were healthy, and I'd rather see the kids develop.
Either Span goes on the dl and one of Arroyo or Williamson goes down or both Arroyo and Williamson go down.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either Span goes on the dl and one of Arroyo or Williamson goes down or both Arroyo and Williamson go down.
And I just saw that Span is in today's lineup. I'd guess both Arroyo and Williamson go down.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I just saw that Span is in today's lineup. I'd guess both Arroyo and Williamson go down.
This is the likely outcome.

However, I HOPE that the geezers (Hill, Gonor, Morse) are given very short leashes moving forward. Arroyo only needs to work on a few things (outside pitch, in particular) so he should be back up in less than a month. Williamson needs to produce, or Shaw will pass him up and he will miss his chance. There is also Slater, Duggar and Heathcott all vying for time (Duggar hurt, but he is a legit prospect).

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the likely outcome.

However, I HOPE that the geezers (Hill, Gonor, Morse) are given very short leashes moving forward. Arroyo only needs to work on a few things (outside pitch, in particular) so he should be back up in less than a month. Williamson needs to produce, or Shaw will pass him up and he will miss his chance. There is also Slater, Duggar and Heathcott all vying for time (Duggar hurt, but he is a legit prospect).

Arroyo's glove is solid, and he's been a good RBI man (he already has more RBI's than Posey in about 30 less AB's). There is NOTHING for him to learn in Sacto that he can't learn in SF. Gonor and Hill have nothing left to learn. If Arroyo or Mac are sent down for Hill and Gonor, it makes no sense to me.