• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current, former players shocked Lamar is not getting more interest

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Graziano reporting Lamar doesn't want a fully guaranteed deal

He just wants the most guaranteed money of all time

Well that's a relief. He actually wants MORE than reported previously lol

I can't imagine why he isn't signed yet.

Yeah, these stingy NFL teams won't pay him all that he needs to survive.....

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, these stingy NFL teams won't pay him all that he needs to survive.....

This again just highlights how stupid he is.

"No guys I don't want it to be fully guaranteed...I'd just want 50 million a year of it guaranteed. The other 20 can u have as non guaranteed. That's cool.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This again just highlights how stupid he is.

"No guys I don't want it to be fully guaranteed...I'd just want 50 million a year of it guaranteed. The other 20 can u have as non guaranteed. That's cool.
The non-guaranteed years aren't worth anything to him since he would be cut.

Guess I'm the only one that sees both sides.

The external environment has created a situation where both Lamar and the Ravens are doing something stupid for themselves, but they each think they're being professional and putting business first.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The non-guaranteed years aren't worth anything to him since he would be cut.

Guess I'm the only one that sees both sides.

The external environment has created a situation where both Lamar and the Ravens are doing something stupid for themselves, but they each think they're being professional and putting business first.

How do you bargain with a guy who hasn't finished his last 2 seasons and yet begins and won't budge from the most guaranteed money ever?

And I am no Ravens fan. But come on

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but you seem extremely interested in Jackson.

Perhaps misery loves company?

I lived in Baltimore for 3 years. If it wasn't for the Steelers the Ravens would top my hate list

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you bargain with a guy who hasn't finished his last 2 seasons and yet begins and won't budge from the most guaranteed money ever?

And I am no Ravens fan. But come on
How did the Ravens let it get to this point? They drafted him and designed the offense. He's done what he's supposed to do in it. Wrap him up long term his MVP year and he's happy about the Ravens for life.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did the Ravens let it get to this point? They drafted him and designed the offense. He's done what he's supposed to do in it. Wrap him up long term his MVP year and he's happy about the Ravens for life.

That's a fair criticism.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Open photo

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's talking about wear and tear on lamar's body due to his style and the risk of injury due to that style.

Injuries happen. Is anyone questioning the pocket passer style because of Jimmy G's injury history?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries happen. Is anyone questioning the pocket passer style because of Jimmy G's injury history?
What don't you understand about wear and tear? Anyone can get hurt. Some invite more possibility to get hurt. Jimmy G is a good example of QBs with injury history being less valuable, just like Lamar.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything you write is exactly what people wrote about Cam Newton. Where is he? Out of football at 31, now in the Kapernick club. Everybody wanted the next Cam Newton, now everyone wants 8 years of cam newton.

The main difference between Watson and the rest of these guys is rushing. Watson will take off 6 times a game for about 30 yards, The rest of these, Jackson, Fields, run because they believe they are the only option. That is why they have short careers until the depend on the pass.

Newton and Kap have nothing to do with Lamar. Newton was a physical runner, more of a caution to Josh Allen than Lamar. Kaep fell out of favor (to put it mildly), had little to do with injuries.

Lamar's current knee injury happened on a sack, could happen to any QB. His previous serious injury (an ankle sprain) also happened on a hit while passing, rolling out. These aren't a result of a reckless running style, but common QB play.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What don't you understand about wear and tear? Anyone can get hurt. Some invite more possibility to get hurt. Jimmy G is a good example of QBs with injury history being less valuable, just like Lamar.

Lamar's injuries both happened in the passing game. If anything, his escapability from the rush makes a recurrence less likely.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newton and Kap have nothing to do with Lamar. Newton was a physical runner, more of a caution to Josh Allen than Lamar. Kaep fell out of favor (to put it mildly), had little to do with injuries.

Lamar's current knee injury happened on a sack, could happen to any QB. His previous serious injury (an ankle sprain) also happened on a hit while passing, rolling out. These aren't a result of a reckless running style, but common QB play.
While your argument isn't without merit - yes, maybe these injuries happened in the "pocket" or while passing, but he takes more unnecessary hits because he runs. That's what makes him good at the QB position. The history of similar style QB's who run to set up the pass does not bode well for long-term success or sustainability. Thus, it's not a far fetched idea that a team wouldn't want to load a ton of money into a QB that is more of a RB that happens to have a good arm, than a QB with a good arm who happens to be able to use his legs. Those QB's are not the same.

If Allen got hurt and had to strictly stay in the pocket - while his value may drop some - I don't think there's a ton of concern about his ability to be a passer. If Lamar gets injured and can't run, he's can't play QB. He's shown no real progression as a true pocket passer. I'd want to hedge my bets on any contract with him as well.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While your argument isn't without merit - yes, maybe these injuries happened in the "pocket" or while passing, but he takes more unnecessary hits because he runs. That's what makes him good at the QB position. The history of similar style QB's who run to set up the pass does not bode well for long-term success or sustainability. Thus, it's not a far fetched idea that a team wouldn't want to load a ton of money into a QB that is more of a RB that happens to have a good arm, than a QB with a good arm who happens to be able to use his legs. Those QB's are not the same.

If Allen got hurt and had to strictly stay in the pocket - while his value may drop some - I don't think there's a ton of concern about his ability to be a passer. If Lamar gets injured and can't run, he's can't play QB. He's shown no real progression as a true pocket passer. I'd want to hedge my bets on any contract with him as well.

So the Ravens are concerned about injuries that could happen (due to their own play calling) that have not happened to date through 5 pro seasons and 3 years at Louisville?

I disagree about Lamar's passing ability. The liabilities of the Ravens' passing game are much more about play calling and a lack of non TE weapons than any lack of passing ability.

BTW, Lamar doesn't want a fully guaranteed contract, just more money guaranteed than Watson.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Ravens are concerned about injuries that could happen (due to their own play calling) that have not happened to date through 5 pro seasons and 3 years at Louisville?

I disagree about Lamar's passing ability. The liabilities of the Ravens' passing game are much more about play calling and a lack of non TE weapons than any lack of passing ability.

BTW, Lamar doesn't want a fully guaranteed contract, just more money guaranteed than Watson.
The history of QB's that play like Lamar are not kind in their later years. Most of those guys didn't have major issues until they did. While I'd agree that you can't always predicate injuries there are certain styles at certain positions that lend themselves to being more injury prone at some point. There's a reason why guys like Lamar didn't play like they did for 10+ years. Could he be the 1st? Sure. Does that mean some team is going to just roll out the red carpet for him banking on him to break the mold? Doesn't look like it.

So, guaranteed, or not - teams are not willing to spend that kind of money when history says that it's not a good signing. Not only that, just because Cleveland screwed the pooch with Waton's deal, doesn't mean other NFL teams suddenly have to go along and follow the same disesterous path. That's just bad business.

Ravens can call whatever plays they like - they are getting the most out of him at the peak of his ability. That's what teams are supposed to do. They are also supposed to look at the future and try and gauge how future pieces fit together - and that includes QB. Ever think one of the reasons maybe the Ravens are taking a hard line stance is hoping that another team is desperate enough to give up multiple 1st round picks allowing them to not only get out from under a long-term issue with a QB who may not be anywhere near his peak in 2-3 years, but have draft capital to replace him? Maybe a lot of this comes down to the fact that the Ravens don't feel that Lamar's success is sustainable based on his playing style and they are looking for a way to try and sell high, or get him under a contract that doesn't lock them up for years to come.

Lamar is a hell of a football player. No one here is disputing that. His long-term prognosis at QB is not all that great, though, based on his playing style and the history of QB's who were always more runners than throwers. He's thrown for over 3K yards just one time...once. And even if you try and extrapolate his yardage the past 2 years to account for injury he doesn't crack 4K last year, and would likely just barely, if at all, crack it in 2021. He's not a great passer. He's a great runner whose legs open up a lot of passing lanes. Without injury you would be looking at a "QB" who would likely have rushed for 1K yards 4 straight seasons...and that is what makes him effective...not his arm/accuracy/passing prowess....his legs.

The minute those legs go - whatever team signs him for 5, 6 years and mucho dinero is going to be in big trouble because, to this point, he's not shown that he can sit back there game after game and just throw the ball all over the yard. He's not shown anything, to this point, that he can be a long-term bet in the QB game. He's a different animal, for sure, and effective as one can be, but those same traits that make him great, make him hard to bet on going forward because, again, history says it won't end well.....

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamar's injuries both happened in the passing game. If anything, his escapability from the rush makes a recurrence less likely.
He's taking more hits and using his legs more. He's stressing his whole body more than a guy standing in the pocket. It's more risky.