• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crap happens

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took a few college classes on it, have multiple family members in the industry, and have transcribed 1000s of different patient files for psychiatric doctors. I'm no psychiatrist by any means, but have always found it fascinating and soaked up a lot of knowledge from others close to me who are more knowledgeable on the subject than I. My mom is a licensed counselor with an M.S. in psychology, for example.

Do you believe psychiatric problems are caused by faulty brain chemistry or something else? I take medicine to balance the chemicals in my brain.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you believe psychiatric problems are caused by faulty brain chemistry or something else? I take medicine to balance the chemicals in my brain.

*Extremely off topic from the sport of college football post*

IMO, a combination of a lot of things, brain chemistry being probably the biggest. But what is the human brain and everything included between our ears (personality, cognitive function, our memories, and even sexual orientation) but just a differing amount of neurons, electrical signals, and a sophisticated balance of chemicals that determine everything about us? Some of these "imbalances" are genetically motivated, and some are "learned" or imbalances out of habit if you will.

A good example of my train of thought on this is the "born that way" vs "taught that way" debate over gays and is why I think the argument of homosexuality being solely natural or learned is stupid. It is, of course, both and dependent upon the situation. If you think gays are born gay, then why can't the specific chemical/neuron/electrical imbalance that causes gays to be different from heterosexuals be replicated through life experience and essentially "learned"? In contrast, if you think gays are just choosing to be gay out of pervasive life experiences that were "taught", either internally or externally, then why can't this same chemical/neuron/electrical imbalance be genetically predisposed from birth?

You see where i'm going with all of this? We are all just a collection of "imbalances" in varying quantities.....if we weren't we would all be the same. If a Serotonin re-uptake inhibitor (most common form of anti-depressant) slightly changes your brain chemistry enough for you to notice an increase in mood. Then why not?

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm learning too much in this thread. It needs more numb football talk.

THE SEC IS OVERRATED!

There. Much better

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm learning too much in this thread. It needs more numb football talk.

THE SEC IS OVERRATED!

There. Much better

Seamless transition from a mental health discussion to tSEC dick suckers?

Challenge_Accepted_meme-s360x270-137762.jpg

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Extremely off topic from the sport of college football post*

IMO, a combination of a lot of things, brain chemistry being probably the biggest. But what is the human brain and everything included between our ears (personality, cognitive function, our memories, and even sexual orientation) but just a differing amount of neurons, electrical signals, and a sophisticated balance of chemicals that determine everything about us? Some of these "imbalances" are genetically motivated, and some are "learned" or imbalances out of habit if you will.

A good example of my train of thought on this is the "born that way" vs "taught that way" debate over gays and is why I think the argument of homosexuality being solely natural or learned is stupid. It is, of course, both and dependent upon the situation. If you think gays are born gay, then why can't the specific chemical/neuron/electrical imbalance that causes gays to be different from heterosexuals be replicated through life experience and essentially "learned"? In contrast, if you think gays are just choosing to be gay out of pervasive life experiences that were "taught", either internally or externally, then why can't this same chemical/neuron/electrical imbalance be genetically predisposed from birth?

You see where i'm going with all of this? We are all just a collection of "imbalances" in varying quantities.....if we weren't we would all be the same. If a Serotonin re-uptake inhibitor (most common form of anti-depressant) slightly changes your brain chemistry enough for you to notice an increase in mood. Then why not?

Yeah, the drawback is that you have to try a bunch of different meds until you finally find the right one. Once you do, though, you are pretty much good to go for the most part. I take Zoloft 50mg. It works pretty good. Without it I am irritable all the time and nearly impossible to get along with. A lot like Chik. :laugh3: