• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Realignment

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always like the clean 2x2 of the Pac 10. 2 Washington schools 2 Oregon schools 2 Arizona schools 2 bay area or NoCal schools and 2 LA or So cal schools. adding Utah and Colorado disrupted that unless you accept their name of the Mountain schools.
my preference would be to add BYU (Utah State) and Colorado State to even that out. but that leaves a gap between 2 schools in the divisions unless Pac 14 became 16.
After that though to go to 16 there really aren't any good pairs Boise and Idaho? San Jose and Fresno? Nevada and UNLV? New Mexico and NMSU?
other options San Diego State, Wyoming, Utah State, Air Force?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realignment starts again in 2024 when the Big 12 TV contract expires. Texas, TTECH, OU and Okie jr all go to the Pac. WVU to the ACC, KU to the B1G. Sorry Baylor and TCU, if your stadium only seats 40K you don't deserve to be in a P5 conference. JMO....

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realignment starts again in 2024 when the Big 12 TV contract expires. Texas, TTECH, OU and Okie jr all go to the Pac. WVU to the ACC, KU to the B1G. Sorry Baylor and TCU, if your stadium only seats 40K you don't deserve to be in a P5 conference. JMO....
I thought Baylors was like 55000. and TCU is 50000.
and what about KSU and ISU?

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said this before, I shall again.

1. Teams are NOT Selected for a Playoff, Teams are Selected for Tournaments. Math Decides who makes a Playoff, NOT PEOPLE!!!

So how does College Football have a REAL Playoff, and not some Propaganda that is called a Playoff? Simple...

8 Conferences
8 Conference Winners play 2 weeks after season is over
4 Winners of CCGs play Jan 1st.
2 Winners play a week later to Decide Champ.

THAT is a Playoff where Math Decides Everything, not people.

So if we want a Real Playoff, and not the BCS +2, realignment has to take this into consideration.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TEAMS are selected for playoffs, otherwise there wouldn't BE any playoffs.

I know where you are coming from, but it's a rather asinine assumption.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ^^

PAC-16

PAC West
Washington
Washington St.
Oregon
Oregon St.
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

PAC East
Arizona
Arizona St.
Utah
Colorado
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Texas Tech
Texas

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw divisions... get rid of them... for details, see my post from January (post #26) on page two of this thread.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said this before, I shall again.

1. Teams are NOT Selected for a Playoff, Teams are Selected for Tournaments. Math Decides who makes a Playoff, NOT PEOPLE!!!

So how does College Football have a REAL Playoff, and not some Propaganda that is called a Playoff? Simple...

8 Conferences
8 Conference Winners play 2 weeks after season is over
4 Winners of CCGs play Jan 1st.
2 Winners play a week later to Decide Champ.

THAT is a Playoff where Math Decides Everything, not people.

So if we want a Real Playoff, and not the BCS +2, realignment has to take this into consideration.
Fuck that.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why have pods? Why have divisions? Those are becoming archaic.

The more I mull it over, the more I become convinced that college football conferences need to get rid of divisions/pods.

Instead of divisions, each team in a conference would have the option to protect one or two annually played games against traditional conference rivals, then rotate playing other games against the remaining conference members. Using whatever tie-breaking system the conference chooses, the two best teams from the conference meet in the Conference Championship Game. No divisions or pods needed. Conferences can have an odd number of members (13 or 15 member conference) under this system because there are no divisions to worry about.

Under such a division-less system, a team could play each/every opponent in their conference at least every other year, even if the conference consists of 15 members, and even if only eight conference games are being played, and while still protecting two annual conference rivalry games.

Under a division-less system, in order to reduce the chances of playing the same conference rival two consecutive weeks, the top teams in each conference simply need to avoid playing each other Thanksgiving week. In other words, perhaps for one or two top programs in each conference, the final week of the regular season would be a good time to play a Power 5 out-of-conference opponent instead of a top conference rival...........

..........In the B1G for example, Michigan vs Ohio State can still be the final conference game played by these two teams, but 'The Game' could be played mid-November (the penultimate week of the regular season), with the final week of the regular season (Thanksgiving weekend) being reserved for a Power 5 out-of-conference opponent for both Michigan and Ohio State......

........Remember, Florida and Florida State already play out-of-conference the final week of the regular season, as does USC sometimes (vs Notre Dame)........... I would love to see Oklahoma vs Nebraska play every year Thanksgiving week instead of Oklahoma & Oklahoma State running the risk of playing each other two consecutive weeks. I would also love to see Texas vs Texas A&M play every Thanksgiving week too, as well as Pitt vs West Virginia. This can be a reality with only 8 conference games being played by all Power 5 conferences in a division-less system..... as long as a national policy is made (for ALL Power 5 conferences) that at least 3 out of the 4 out-of-conference games must be played against Power 5 opponents.

I would also like to see the group of five conferences do something similar, and have their own playoff and national championship using existing Bowls.

giving the option to protect a game or 2 against rivals gives the option not to as well. making the rotation of teams a bit off. by rotating in order to play every team at least every other year that takes away from home and away which can negatively impact recruiting.

you cant predict who the top teams will be year in and year out in order to try to avoid rematches. did you see Colorado winning the Pac south last year? or Penn State?
Pac has a rule against playing out of conference late in the season except for ND or for other considerations which a team needs permissions. like if there was a sudden cancel by the opponent.

the group of 5 wont do their own because it detracts from them. they fight every year to prove they are as good as the P5. teams like Boise, Houston, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, UCF getting opportunity to prove it with a top bowl. now all of a sudden you think they are gonna say never mind we aren't as good so we are gonna take our ball and go play our own playoff?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ^^

PAC-16

PAC West
Washington
Washington St.
Oregon
Oregon St.
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

PAC East
Arizona
Arizona St.
Utah
Colorado
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Texas Tech
Texas

No can do, Longhorn network.

IMO the ACC would be the best option for Texas should the Big12 fold. Gotta believe the ACC would bend over backwards (meaning let them keep their separate tv deals with ESPN AND NBC with the tier 3 rights) to land Texas and Norte Dame and nobody could blame them if they did, be quite a coup.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO the ACC would be the best option for Texas should the Big12 fold. Gotta believe the ACC would bend over backwards (meaning let them keep their separate tv deals with ESPN AND NBC with the tier 3 rights) to land Texas and Norte Dame and nobody could blame them if they did, be quite a coup.

Plus the Pac network is bombing, does Texas just flush 15mil down the drain just to rub elbows with Arizona and Utah?

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Larry Scott wasn't such an imbecile he would have taken both of the Okie schools back in 2011 when they asked to join the PAC. That would have killed off the Big 12 and forced Bevo's hand.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus the Pac network is bombing, does Texas just flush 15mil down the drain just to rub elbows with Arizona and Utah?
because it would also include USC, Washington, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford which also includes better access to California recruiting.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pray the Big XII doesn't die because we still have hopes of joining.

In a perfect world I wish we were invited to the ACC though. These realignments really fucked over rivalries.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard a good discussion yesterday on XM because of the recent ESPN situation and "cord cutting". It was regarding "national draw" audiences instead of conference or regional draws. Said that Maryland and Rutgers didn't really deliver the NY/DC markets but the people in those markets would rather see Ohio State and Michigan than the two local teams. Went something like "Say an Amazon Prime/Twitter type non cable provider said they would be willing to pay $100 million to each of the 24 national draw schools to form an "UBER CONFERENCE" but not their less desirable other conference members. And only play each other every year. Who would those teams be and would those teams be willing to leave their less desirable brethren for football only for that kind of coin?

Here are the ones that the hosts felt like were able to draw more of a national audience for FOOTBALL and not just regional or conference audiences. Example: Casual West Coast CFB viewers would pay to watch Georgia vs Texas A&M but not Texas A&M vs Vandy. Couldn't get to 24 as "national draws".

SEC (7)
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
LSU
Tennessee
Texas A&M

ACC (2)
Florida State
Clemson

B1G (5)
Ohio State
Michigan
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Penn State

Big 12 (2)
Oklahoma
Texas

PAC 12 (1)
USC

Independents (2)
Notre Dame
BYU (This one shocked me but it makes sense...not because of football though)

The discussion as which other 6 teams from the following could draw the most "national viewers" solely by themselves and not because they are playing one of the above was very interesting and there was no consensus that any could move the "national viewer draw" needle anywhere close to the rest.

Arkansas
North Carolina
Virginia Tech
Miami
Michigan State
Oklahoma State
Stanford
UCLA
Washington
Oregon

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pray the Big XII doesn't die because we still have hopes of joining.

In a perfect world I wish we were invited to the ACC though. These realignments really fucked over rivalries.
I can't see it see it surviving. And I don't ever see the PAC12 or the ACC getting the same revenue per school that the SEC and the B1G do. Just not the viewer demand as a whole. Fixing to divide into Power 2 (B1G/SEC), group of 2 (ACC/PAC 12....Big 12 is gone) and then those other FBS conferences that are poor as church mice in comparision.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see it see it surviving. And I don't ever see the PAC12 or the ACC getting the same revenue per school that the SEC and the B1G do. Just not the viewer demand as a whole. Fixing to divide into Power 2 (B1G/SEC), group of 2 (ACC/PAC 12....Big 12 is gone) and then those other FBS conferences that are poor as church mice in comparision.
Time zone and the PAC Network not being available to DTV is killing it.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard a good discussion yesterday on XM because of the recent ESPN situation and "cord cutting". It was regarding "national draw" audiences instead of conference or regional draws. Said that Maryland and Rutgers didn't really deliver the NY/DC markets but the people in those markets would rather see Ohio State and Michigan than the two local teams. Went something like "Say an Amazon Prime/Twitter type non cable provider said they would be willing to pay $100 million to each of the 24 national draw schools to form an "UBER CONFERENCE" but not their less desirable other conference members. And only play each other every year. Who would those teams be and would those teams be willing to leave their less desirable brethren for football only for that kind of coin?

Here are the ones that the hosts felt like were able to draw more of a national audience for FOOTBALL and not just regional or conference audiences. Example: Casual West Coast CFB viewers would pay to watch Georgia vs Texas A&M but not Texas A&M vs Vandy. Couldn't get to 24 as "national draws".

SEC (7)
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
LSU
Tennessee
Texas A&M

ACC (2)
Florida State
Clemson

B1G (5)
Ohio State
Michigan
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Penn State

Big 12 (2)
Oklahoma
Texas

PAC 12 (1)
USC

Independents (2)
Notre Dame
BYU (This one shocked me but it makes sense...not because of football though)

The discussion as which other 6 teams from the following could draw the most "national viewers" solely by themselves and not because they are playing one of the above was very interesting and there was no consensus that any could move the "national viewer draw" needle anywhere close to the rest.

Arkansas
North Carolina
Virginia Tech
Miami
Michigan State
Oklahoma State
Stanford
UCLA
Washington
Oregon

Im well beyond a casual west coast viewer and honestly have no real interest in TA&M the others I think they got pretty right though.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always like the clean 2x2 of the Pac 10. 2 Washington schools 2 Oregon schools 2 Arizona schools 2 bay area or NoCal schools and 2 LA or So cal schools. adding Utah and Colorado disrupted that unless you accept their name of the Mountain schools.
my preference would be to add BYU (Utah State) and Colorado State to even that out. but that leaves a gap between 2 schools in the divisions unless Pac 14 became 16.
After that though to go to 16 there really aren't any good pairs Boise and Idaho? San Jose and Fresno? Nevada and UNLV? New Mexico and NMSU?
other options San Diego State, Wyoming, Utah State, Air Force?

The UNLV steam is going to pick up. With the new stadium they will likely end up in the Pac12. The basketball tournament and football title game will already be played there.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im well beyond a casual west coast viewer and honestly have no real interest in TA&M the others I think they got pretty right though.
I totally understand what you are saying. I'm way more than casual also and I have both the Big 10 and SEC networks. But, I don't watch Purdue/Indiana or Mizzou/Kentucky type games whatsoever. I was also surprised at A&M...along with Tennessee and Wisconsin on the "national demand" list. Not saying they don't have large followings...but don't think of them as "national" followings.