• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Expansion

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the best thing that can happen for the ACC now is for WVU and Louisville to join the big12, further crippling the BE and leaving Notre Dame with nowhere to turn.

I don't disagree with you hunz but I'm not sure that they would take WVU and Louisville. Sure, they bring some good football and strong basketball but from a $$$$ perspective, don't think they would bring much to the table. I don't know that ND would have nowhere else to turn either. For years it sounds like the B1G has been willing to roll out the red carpet whenever they were ready. And they, unlike many conferences have shown recently (considering Texas and LHN), would maybe even let ND keep the TV contract and most of the $$$ that comes with it. They have so many rivalries already in place there as well. Would love to see them in the ACC but if they go to a conference I believe it will be up north.

Wild turkey,

I agree with your assessment when it comes to GETTIG TO a championship game, however I think that we do "have work to do" and have a better shot of winning a championship in a tougher conference because we will get better.

I am also souring more and more on the additions of Pitt and Cuse as the days go by. It hurts us, and does not help us, in my opinion, at all. No time to explain now, but I will later.

Totally agree 46...It does not strengthen us rhat much as a football conference, (may even hurt us in terms of recruiting in PA, NY, and the Northeast), decreases our potential to continue our climb in BB in the ACC. I'm not crazy about it either. Sounds like Rutgers and UCONN are pretty good possibilities (due to academics and popularity in the NY market) to be next????

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't disagree with you hunz but I'm not sure that they would take WVU and Louisville. Sure, they bring some good football and strong basketball but from a $$$$ perspective, don't think they would bring much to the table. I don't know that ND would have nowhere else to turn either. For years it sounds like the B1G has been willing to roll out the red carpet whenever they were ready. And they, unlike many conferences have shown recently (considering Texas and LHN), would maybe even let ND keep the TV contract and most of the $$$ that comes with it. They have so many rivalries already in place there as well. Would love to see them in the ACC but if they go to a conference I believe it will be up north.

WV/Louisville: The big 12 is trying to stay afloat they are already losing A&M and most likely Mizzou, i dont think they can pick and choose to much over which schools they want to bring in. IDK thats just my opinion but where else would they turn???

ND's administration/decision makers/ etc have already publically stated that if they have to give up independence they would prefer ACC over the big10. <---post 39 in this thread kinda explains my opinion and a few facts a little better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WV/Louisville: The big 12 is trying to stay afloat they are already losing A&M and most likely Mizzou, i dont think they can pick and choose to much over which schools they want to bring in. IDK thats just my opinion but where else would they turn???

ND's administration/decision makers/ etc have already publically stated that if they have to give up independence they would prefer ACC over the big10. <---post 39 in this thread kinda explains my opinion and a few facts a little better.

I have heard that TCU's facilities aren't quite up to snuff but that would be logical to me, BYU might not be a great fit but geographically maybe a little bit better. SMU to me is a no brainer. I think there are better choices than Louisville and certainly WVU. Eventually I still think that BIG12 eventually will be no more.

I read the post hunzworth and respect your view. I'm just saying they have a ton of rivalries they've played every year for a long time, many of them already in the Big10 (Purdue, MICH, Sparty, etc.). IF they join a conference they will have to give most of that up. The Big 10 is a better football conference (and arguably better BB conference) right now and ND is in the footprint of B1G land. I don't see them joining any conference really, but IMO if they do, don't think it wil be the ACC. I may end up eating crow on this one but it will fun to see where, if anywhere, they eventually end up.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I have heard that TCU's facilities aren't quite up to snuff but that would be logical to me, BYU might not be a great fit but geographically maybe a little bit better. SMU to me is a no brainer. I think there are better choices than Louisville and certainly WVU. Eventually I still think that BIG12 eventually will be no more.

I read the post hunzworth and respect your view. I'm just saying they have a ton of rivalries they've played every year for a long time, many of them already in the Big10 (Purdue, MICH, Sparty, etc.). IF they join a conference they will have to give most of that up. The Big 10 is a better football conference (and arguably better BB conference) right now and ND is in the footprint of B1G land. I don't see them joining any conference really, but IMO if they do, don't think it wil be the ACC. I may end up eating crow on this one but it will fun to see where, if anywhere, they eventually end up.

I really just threw WVU/Louisville out ther because it was being reported that they had applied for membership. At the time it looked like TX,TT,OK,and OKst, were headed to the Pac, i figured they would be accepted as the BIG12 would have been in somewhat of a "scramble drill". I honestly still think the BIG12 will look to expand (at some point) to either 16 or at least back to 12(for a while). If/when that happens i wouldnt be shocked to see them go after some of the BE teams. IMO expansion has been all about adding TV markets, they may go after BYU but adding any more TX doesnt add you TV sets.

On the Notre Dame thing, all i have to go on is the words of their administration and they have openly said that they would prefer the ACC over the Big10 if they do end up having to join a conference. IMO if/when the "super conferences" do come to fruition ND will be forced to join a conference. The reason: the big east will most likely cease to exist and no other conference is going to pay for ND's non rev's without reaping the benefits of having them as a football member.

-side note: if the big 12 had lost TX,TT,OK,OKst i would completely agree that they wouldnt last but as long as they have some combination of TX & Oklahoma i think they stay together. FWIW IMO the BIG12 would be better off if they told TX "either share your money or get out".

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really just threw WVU/Louisville out ther because it was being reported that they had applied for membership. At the time it looked like TX,TT,OK,and OKst, were headed to the Pac, i figured they would be accepted as the BIG12 would have been in somewhat of a "scramble drill". I honestly still think the BIG12 will look to expand (at some point) to either 16 or at least back to 12(for a while). If/when that happens i wouldnt be shocked to see them go after some of the BE teams. IMO expansion has been all about adding TV markets, they may go after BYU but adding any more TX doesnt add you TV sets.

On the Notre Dame thing, all i have to go on is the words of their administration and they have openly said that they would prefer the ACC over the Big10 if they do end up having to join a conference. IMO if/when the "super conferences" do come to fruition ND will be forced to join a conference. The reason: the big east will most likely cease to exist and no other conference is going to pay for ND's non rev's without reaping the benefits of having them as a football member.

-side note: if the big 12 had lost TX,TT,OK,OKst i would completely agree that they wouldnt last but as long as they have some combination of TX & Oklahoma i think they stay together. FWIW IMO the BIG12 would be better off if they told TX "either share your money or get out".

I agree, I think OK holds all the cards when it comes to the Big12's existence, and they should tell Texas just that. If they leave for the PAC12, so does Ok. St. Then the Big12 would start to crumble. I am sure TX is perfectly content to just stay put and make the 200mill from their ESPN contract/LHN. I am sure they are discussing it now, but either TX will have to come off some $$$ to stay in a conference/join another, or they will have to go independent. Sure, adding TCU or SMU wouldn't help much from a TV market/$$$ perspective but I'm not sure Louisville or WVU would either. I agree with you on ND too. They WILL eventually be in a conference, they will have to. I'm curious to see which one it will be.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm game for Notre Shame!

We all hate them, and they are always overrated, but they could give this conference a huge jump start. BC, Miami, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, and North Carolina all have a significant history with them in football. I'm sure Virginia Tech, Florida State, and Clemson would be happy to welcome a big name football program to their home stadiums. Every other school would easily see a jump in revenue by hosting the Irish. Their Olympic sports would fit right in.

As long as Notre Dame is willing to be a partner, the ACC should work to get them in. Scheduling, NBC, and the 16th member can all be worked out, as long as Notre Dame is committed to be good partners with it's potential conference mates.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would be 16? PLEASE no Rutgers or Uconn. We are set on basketball. Add a football school.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would be 16? PLEASE no Rutgers or Uconn. We are set on basketball. Add a football school.

My guess is UCONN. I would like a bigger football school too, but I don't see it happening. At this point you would need to steal from the B1G or SEC to get a big football school, but I don't think that's realistic.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC should add West Virginia. Good at both football and basketball.

ACC academics are too good for West Virginia to tear down. I think WVU will improve in academic standing if they join the ACC.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is UCONN. I would like a bigger football school too, but I don't see it happening. At this point you would need to steal from the B1G or SEC to get a big football school, but I don't think that's realistic.

There are some C-USA teams I would rather have.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
ACC should add West Virginia. Good at both football and basketball.

ACC academics are too good for West Virginia to tear down. I think WVU will improve in academic standing if they join the ACC.

WVU has no interest in raising their academic standards. There is a whole long list of reasons, but the short of it is they have no interest in doing so. FWIW their reasons have nothing/very little to do with athletics.

LSUfanFloridaAlumni

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am 99% sure that if the ACC came to West Virginia with an offer, they would leave the Big12.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw WVU. Their fans are a disgrace in general and I would rather they not come to Blacksburg