• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy SILVER out of Calgary

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Athletic, so I thought I'd just post the interesting snippet here...

Don’t turn the page on Jacob Markstrom to the New Jersey Devils just yet.

After a failed trade attempt a few weeks ago, I’m told New Jersey reached out again to the Calgary Flames this week to say it was still interested in the 34-year-old netminder. And in fact, I believe the Devils are now willing to make that trade without the Flames having to retain salary, which was a sticking point last time around (or at least the asset cost on retaining salary was).

But even with the Devils offering to take on all of Markstrom’s contract, which pays him $6 million per year through the 2025-26 season, I think it’s still a tough trade to contemplate for Flames GM Craig Conroy. His team is battling hard, and trading its MVP would probably gut his dressing room. He is definitely sensitive to that.

It is certainly a trade conversation that can be revisited this offseason, too. By then, the Devils might also have new goalie options on the market to look at, though. So that’s the Catch-22 for the Flames. Not an easy call either way …

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Athletic, so I thought I'd just post the interesting snippet here...

Don’t turn the page on Jacob Markstrom to the New Jersey Devils just yet.

After a failed trade attempt a few weeks ago, I’m told New Jersey reached out again to the Calgary Flames this week to say it was still interested in the 34-year-old netminder. And in fact, I believe the Devils are now willing to make that trade without the Flames having to retain salary, which was a sticking point last time around (or at least the asset cost on retaining salary was).

But even with the Devils offering to take on all of Markstrom’s contract, which pays him $6 million per year through the 2025-26 season, I think it’s still a tough trade to contemplate for Flames GM Craig Conroy. His team is battling hard, and trading its MVP would probably gut his dressing room. He is definitely sensitive to that.

It is certainly a trade conversation that can be revisited this offseason, too. By then, the Devils might also have new goalie options on the market to look at, though. So that’s the Catch-22 for the Flames. Not an easy call either way …
1000035498.png

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obviously nobody knows what's going on behind the scenes, but these guys (including Markstrom) have been given ample opportunity to put wins on the board over the years and it hasn't happened. Have to take the long view here and get some draft picks and young prospects and if the Devils are willing to offer up a nice package, it's part of the business.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously nobody knows what's going on behind the scenes, but these guys (including Markstrom) have been given ample opportunity to put wins on the board over the years and it hasn't happened. Have to take the long view here and get some draft picks and young prospects and if the Devils are willing to offer up a nice package, it's part of the business.
at 35 if someone is willing to take him you do it. that man is on the backend of that career with his history of injuries.

what do you do with Huby tho?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at 35 if someone is willing to take him you do it. that man is on the backend of that career with his history of injuries.

what do you do with Huby tho?

I think there really is no option with Huby except keeping him and re-visit that contract in a few years (nobody can take on that contract). Besides, you can't go total scorched earth, you still need some veteran presence to guide the young kids. If the NHL does expand in a couple of years, maybe compliance buyouts will re-emerge and give an out to the Flames if they need one.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there really is no option with Huby except keeping him and re-visit that contract in a few years (nobody can take on that contract). Besides, you can't go total scorched earth, you still need some veteran presence to guide the young kids. If the NHL does expand in a couple of years, maybe compliance buyouts will re-emerge and give an out to the Flames if they need one.
they are legit the Canucks in year 2 of the Louie E contract year.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not kid ourselves either, Markstrom contributed greatly to the Oilers prevailing over the Flames in that playoff series a couple of years ago. Even average goaltending and the Flames advance.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kadri's playing really well, has already said he doesn't want to stick around for a rebuild and plays a premium position incredibly effectively that a lot of teams are looking to fill right now

He's got 5 seasons left at $7 mil/yr but say he falls off and you buy him out in 2027, it's $2.4 mil/yr spread across 4 years instead of $7 mil the next two.

I think that's a more likely trade than people think.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kadri's playing really well, has already said he doesn't want to stick around for a rebuild and plays a premium position incredibly effectively that a lot of teams are looking to fill right now

He's got 5 seasons left at $7 mil/yr but say he falls off and you buy him out in 2027, it's $2.4 mil/yr spread across 4 years instead of $7 mil the next two.

I think that's a more likely trade than people think.

Certainly a possibility, he really has picked things up over the last couple of months, best Flames forward by quite some distance.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does mini Kipper get his jersey retired tomorrow night as well?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First 20 minutes without Chris Tanev on the backend is not encouraging lol

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First 20 minutes without Chris Tanev on the backend is not encouraging lol
Yeah it is looking too easy for the Penguins. Granted a normal team would have more goals by now.
Even worse letting this guy get a goal.

1709441135534.jpeg

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

That was his 1st ever NHL goal, I believe.
Yep.

Note…He actually came to the Penguins in the Matt Murray to the Senators deal. With a second round pick coming back also. In turn the Penguins took probably their goalie of the future who looks good in his first season in the AHL.

One of the many Dorian duds in Ottawa.

Last edited:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly Jeff Carters last ever NHL goal could have happened in Calgary. :D

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beautiful individual effort from Kadri.

And very lazy defense by the Penguins.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL officiating remains a joke - Huby tripped, no call, Pens too much man, no call, Jarry dives from a little bump by Coleman, draws the call.