• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody get the feeling after watching these past two weeks that the Leafs are probably Cup contenders with an upgrade on the blue line and at centre, know they have the assets to make it happen and yet feel absolutely terrified about actually making the deals that would get them these assets?

Is this just what being a good team is like and I'm anxious because it's been forever since we actually got to cheer for one? I don't recall feeling this concerned when they were trading pieces for Brian Leetch and Owen Nolan lol

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody get the feeling after watching these past two weeks that the Leafs are probably Cup contenders with an upgrade on the blue line and at centre, know they have the assets to make it happen and yet feel absolutely terrified about actually making the deals that would get them these assets?

Is this just what being a good team is like and I'm anxious because it's been forever since we actually got to cheer for one? I don't recall feeling this concerned when they were trading pieces for Brian Leetch and Owen Nolan lol

When the Leetch and Nolan trades happened the team was in a different place in the curve I think. Even if Jarko Immonen had gone on to become something in Toronto it wouldn't have been by setting up Sasha Mogilny a few years down the road, whereas the current core is just getting started.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Leetch and Nolan trades happened the team was in a different place in the curve I think. Even if Jarko Immonen had gone on to become something in Toronto it wouldn't have been by setting up Sasha Mogilny a few years down the road, whereas the current core is just getting started.
Well maybe Immonen never went anywhere but maybe the Leafs could've done better with the 1st rounder they sent to NYR than CGY eventually did. Probably not, but, maybe.

I just don't see a real contender beyond Nashville in the west (and even then they're relying on a goalie who already punched out in the Cup final once) and I feel like the Leafs really are up there with the best in the East and close enough to get over them with a couple of smart roster moves. I know the core is young still but what if next year and the year after the secondary pieces aren't as good or complementary and they wind up falling back to the middle of the pack? Be shitty to know they had this chance and didn't take it.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the problems facing the Leafs this year is that there surplus is a surplus around the League. What do they have more of than anything else? Wingers. What is the TSN trade list full of? Veteran, proven wingers. What do the Leafs need? C and D. But so does everyone else.

With those market dynamics, I fear they will have to overpay to make a move. Me, I am OK with standing pat. If they make a trade, I would like to see them get a good C with some term. Thats really it. If that deal is out there, I would like for them to pull the trigger.

I know the core is young still but what if next year and the year after the secondary pieces aren't as good or complementary and they wind up falling back to the middle of the pack?

I would be willing to take that chance. When you look at the season as a whole, can you point to anyone who is having a "career" year and is likely to regress? Anderson might be the only one in this category. I think everyone is either: in their prime, or young and has room to improve. [OK, I am ignoring Hainsey and Marleau in that.]

As much as I would like to think they are close this year, my head tells me they are not. Having watched them recently play TBL and BOS, I doubt they would win a series against either. Too leaky on D and I do not believe either McDonough or Green would be enough to fix that.

One last thought about trades. The forward lines are all going good now (finally). I would hate to see a trade disrupt that. Trade some of the assets on the Marlies, fine, but I would not like to see the forward lines disrupted this late in the year. But that might be the price to pay to get an impact player for the playoff push.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the problems facing the Leafs this year is that there surplus is a surplus around the League. What do they have more of than anything else? Wingers. What is the TSN trade list full of? Veteran, proven wingers. What do the Leafs need? C and D. But so does everyone else.

With those market dynamics, I fear they will have to overpay to make a move. Me, I am OK with standing pat. If they make a trade, I would like to see them get a good C with some term. Thats really it. If that deal is out there, I would like for them to pull the trigger.

I would be willing to take that chance. When you look at the season as a whole, can you point to anyone who is having a "career" year and is likely to regress? Anderson might be the only one in this category. I think everyone is either: in their prime, or young and has room to improve. [OK, I am ignoring Hainsey and Marleau in that.]

As much as I would like to think they are close this year, my head tells me they are not. Having watched them recently play TBL and BOS, I doubt they would win a series against either. Too leaky on D and I do not believe either McDonough or Green would be enough to fix that.

One last thought about trades. The forward lines are all going good now (finally). I would hate to see a trade disrupt that. Trade some of the assets on the Marlies, fine, but I would not like to see the forward lines disrupted this late in the year. But that might be the price to pay to get an impact player for the playoff push.

I disagreee somewhat, I think the Bozak line has still generally looked shitty lately.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well maybe Immonen never went anywhere but maybe the Leafs could've done better with the 1st rounder they sent to NYR than CGY eventually did. Probably not, but, maybe.

I just don't see a real contender beyond Nashville in the west (and even then they're relying on a goalie who already punched out in the Cup final once) and I feel like the Leafs really are up there with the best in the East and close enough to get over them with a couple of smart roster moves. I know the core is young still but what if next year and the year after the secondary pieces aren't as good or complementary and they wind up falling back to the middle of the pack? Be shitty to know they had this chance and didn't take it.

Oh yeah I've got no problem with them taking a swing at it this year, I'm just saying that it's probably a little harder decision now than it was at that time right before the lockout.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think they could beat Tampa. Vasilevsky's not as hot as he was earlier in the year (.901 sv% since January 6), they're relying on a lot of young guys below Stamkos and Kucherov, and if they were to somehow slip below the Leafs and lose home ice I like Leaf odds infinitely more with Babcock line-matching.

Boston thoroughly outplayed the Leafs two weeks ago, and are the better team right now but keep in mind the Leafs were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights. I'm much more interested how they'll do at home Saturday night on regular rest.

I think someone like McD could be a massive pickup for the Leafs (not really into Green - we have Rielly and Gardiner already).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah I've got no problem with them taking a swing at it this year, I'm just saying that it's probably a little harder decision now than it was at that time right before the lockout.
That was pretty much it - the thought of going for it terrifies me and I can only imagine how much thinking Shanny and Lou have had to do about it lately.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was pretty much it - the thought of going for it terrifies me and I can only imagine how much thinking Shanny and Lou have had to do about it lately.

It's hard to not go for it. I've been walking this line for years in my baseball Sim league, trying to get 110+ win teams ready to win playoff series while still trying to keep the long term goals on the radar. It's difficult to do, I've been lucky to have been talked out of a couple of short term gains/long term mistakes by my relatively hands off co-owner.

It's even more tempting in something like Sim league where you kind of "know" what you're trading for and don't have to worry as much about trading for 2 months of a star and watching him not fit in and bat .150.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not ideal but if he's out for a month give or take, not the worst. Get him back for the last 5 or 6 games of the season to get in game shape and have him ready for the playoffs.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But can one hoist the Cup effectively with a messed up shoulder?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bozak had 2:08 PP time last night. Nylander had 50 seconds.

There was also a 5-on-3 that Marner didn’t get in on.

PLAY YOUR BEST PLAYERS ON THE PP, BABS! :L