• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Basketball could be so good

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how MLB determines player eligibility to be drafted.

High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed

I think something similar to this would be good.

Agreed, I like this system. NBA should also have a real minor league system.

LongHairedTimmeh

Bancroft Hall, USNA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Student athletes trade their talent for scholarships in yearly increments - with both parties having legal 'outs' to the agreements.

While I don't disagree with the above, let's be honest in this assessment: The out afforded the university was to protect school's academic integrity as well as against students engaged in any type of criminal activity; it wasn't for the school to have an option of saying "you didn't play well enough for us, we're pulling your scholarship."

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't disagree with the above, let's be honest in this assessment: The out afforded the university was to protect school's academic integrity as well as against students engaged in any type of criminal activity; it wasn't for the school to have an option of saying "you didn't play well enough for us, we're pulling your scholarship."

up until 2012, most schools awarded only 1-year renewable scholarships. many schools (including B1Gs MICH, MSU, OSU, WIS, etc) now award a few 4-year fulls (even those, however, are 'renewable' on an annual basis); but most (including IU and MINN, etc) still offer only 1-year renewables...and, yes, the school can say 'fuck off, you're done here' to athletes who don't play/perform to expectations.

SMALL PRINT: there is every chance I'm either wholly wrong or mildly off-base here...if so?...please correct the record.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
up until 2012, most schools awarded only 1-year renewable scholarships. many schools (including B1Gs MICH, MSU, OSU, WIS, etc) now award a few 4-year fulls (even those, however, are 'renewable' on an annual basis); but most (including IU and MINN, etc) still offer only 1-year renewables...and, yes, the school can say 'fuck off, you're done here' to athletes who don't play/perform to expectations.

SMALL PRINT: there is every chance I'm either wholly wrong or mildly off-base here...if so?...please correct the record.

Think you are right, that's how big football schools push out former 4 star recruits who don't perform, so they can sign 20 more the next year. It's funny how coaches can leave at anytime, and schools/staffs can yank scholarships at anytime, yet the players need to show 'commitment'

LongHairedTimmeh

Bancroft Hall, USNA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, they can't do that. They have to be pursuaded into leaving "on their own."

LongHairedTimmeh

Bancroft Hall, USNA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took my opinions from ghosting Section 15.3.4.2 and 15.3.5 of the NCAA Rules Manual (http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D113.pdf). Please share what your opinion is based on.

It's not opinion, it's fact: 15.3.4.3.1 Athletically Related Condition Prohibition - An institution may not set forth an athletically related condition (e.g. financial aid contigent upon specified athletic performance or playing a specific posititon) that would permit the institution to reduce or cancel the student-athlete's financial aid during the period of the award if the conditions are not satified.

I would imagine you're now going to attempt to argue that the point of the year to year aid enables the institution to chose not to renew a year to year award based on athletic performance. I guess you'll be forced to "ghost" some other section(s). Good luck.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no need to be an asshole here...

but if the plug fits? buzz on brah...

It's not opinion, it's fact: 15.3.4.3.1 Athletically Related Condition Prohibition - An institution may not set forth an athletically related condition (e.g. financial aid contigent upon specified athletic performance or playing a specific posititon) that would permit the institution to reduce or cancel the student-athlete's financial aid during the period of the award if the conditions are not satified.

I would imagine you're now going to attempt to argue that the point of the year to year aid enables the institution to chose not to renew a year to year award based on athletic performance. I guess you'll be forced to "ghost" some other section(s). Good luck.

I said: and, yes, the school can say 'fuck off, you're done here' to athletes who don't play/perform to expectations.

You said: No, they can't do that. They have to be pursuaded into leaving "on their own."

If you weren't so fucking obtuse, and had actually ghosted the NCAA Manual sections cited, it should have been quite evident my argument had to do with overall 'contract/agreement performance parameters' and NOT simply athletically-oriented.

Maybe I should have said: and, yes, the school can say 'fuck off, your financial aid to remain a student at our university will be discontinued at the end of the award's current period, for the reasons specified, in accordance with the pertinent NCAA & Conference rules regarding such actions. In the meanwhile, however, and thereafter - you're no longer on our team...you're on your own!"

Maybe...but I doubt it would have mattered.

LongHairedTimmeh

Bancroft Hall, USNA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but if the plug fits? buzz on brah...

I said: and, yes, the school can say 'fuck off, you're done here' to athletes who don't play/perform to expectations.

You said: No, they can't do that. They have to be pursuaded into leaving "on their own."

If you weren't so fucking obtuse, and had actually ghosted the NCAA Manual sections cited, it should have been quite evident my argument had to do with overall 'contract/agreement performance parameters' and NOT simply athletically-oriented.

Maybe I should have said: and, yes, the school can say 'fuck off, your financial aid to remain a student at our university will be discontinued at the end of the award's current period, for the reasons specified, in accordance with the pertinent NCAA & Conference rules regarding such actions. In the meanwhile, however, and thereafter - you're no longer on our team...you're on your own!"

Maybe...but I doubt it would have mattered.

That's where you're going now? You needed to follow the entire conversation from my first participation (two whole posts), but you were so hell-bent on being "right" that you've failed to comprehend, and you're forced (out of pride, probably) to attempt to spin this favorably for yourself.

A.) I said that a school can't pull a scholarship based on an athlete's play.

B.) You said that they could...going to great pains, albeit incorrectly interpreting (I guess...) the simple rules, to show me so.

C.) I showed you that you're wrong using your own provided link.

D.) You can't deal with it so that makes me obtuse.

Just stop already....

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the obtuse fits...

Timmeh? You've made your whole anemic case on the obtuse assumption that I think ANY school would-can-does publically say anything of the sort? get a life, sport.

If a kid doesn't play/perform to expectations - for whatever reasons - the kid isn't going to play/perform at all. He'll ride wood, or worse.

It's almost never a case (as such is both morally & legally wrong) of the School's "PURSUADING a kid to leave." Enough of such persuasion usually comes from the kid's friends, agents and family.

It's almost always a matter of the kid's accepting the reality of the fact that the School's legal position is: "You're not on the team any more; your scholarship is/will be discontinued/not renewed; please feel free to remain a registered student here thereafter - at your own expense."

btw, I've never heard of a scholarship player sustaining in-service injuries losing his scholarship. Nor have I ever heard of a scholarship player losing his scholarship strictly due to consistently shitty play. Has anybody?

LongHairedTimmeh

Bancroft Hall, USNA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Timmeh? You've made your whole anemic case on the obtuse assumption that I think ANY school would-can-does publically say anything of the sort? get a life, sport.

If a kid doesn't play/perform to expectations - for whatever reasons - the kid isn't going to play/perform at all. He'll ride wood, or worse.

It's almost never a case (as such is both morally & legally wrong) of the School's "PURSUADING a kid to leave." Enough of such persuasion usually comes from the kid's friends, agents and family.

It's almost always a matter of the kid's accepting the reality of the fact that the School's legal position is: "You're not on the team any more; your scholarship is/will be discontinued/not renewed; please feel free to remain a registered student here thereafter - at your own expense."

btw, I've never heard of a scholarship player sustaining in-service injuries losing his scholarship. Nor have I ever heard of a scholarship player losing his scholarship strictly due to consistently shitty play. Has anybody?

I didn't bother to read past your first sentence, there's no point. Thanks for adding it yet again, it's unfortunate that you still can't, or won't, admit it's incorrect. You've been shown you're wrong, repeatedly. You've tried misdirection, you've moved the goal posts...yet you're still wrong. You just can't stand it; that's hilarious. You'll reply to this with some more of your bullshit, undoubtedly. And I'm sure it won't matter to you that I won't read it, your pride will demand that you respond.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pride demands this response...

fit to your maturity level...

TAG! You're IT!

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love college basketball as my most favorite sport. As far as OD getting emotionally attached to young men that another issue.
It does suck that we will never see teams like we did a while back, but the intensity, and passion for the game is still there. It also bring better coaching to the forefront, because a decent coach wont ever look great behind freshman talent. I would like to see them either take the guys right from high school to the d league or whatever, or make them stay 2 years. Dont see it likely though.

I see what you did there.

:laugh3: