• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Basketball could be so good

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they required players to stay 3 years or AT LEAST 2 years.

Why get emotionally attached to any of these dominant Freshman players in this years class? they are all gone next year to the NBA.

This 1 and done stuff has ruined the game. Both ends parties really. NBA I don't evne know half the rosters anymore and NCAA is just a bunch of older HS players running around who are really good, then they leave and you may hear from them again, you may not.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do wish it was two years, if only because I think it'd add to the parody of college basketball because two recruits would be forced to go to different schools.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tht's why we never see dynasty's any more as well.

Great teams have to most likely start over the next year.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Make em stay at least 2 seasons. Too many kids think they are gods gift to basketball, leave early for the draft, and ride the pine in the d-league.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It waters down the NBA and CBB. And like stated, most of these guys go and do the D-League or ride the bench for years and we don't hear about them ever again, or the first time we hear about them in the NBA is 5 years down the road when they are finally getting their shot.

There would be some amazing competitive games in college basketball if these guys stayed. March Madness would be a show!

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tht's why we never see dynasty's any more as well.

Great teams have to most likely start over the next year.

It’s also interesting that given the current environment of great players leaving after one year, that UK can completely reload in one year, two tops. Remember a couple of years ago their entire starting 5 went in the NBA draft? Two years later and they’re a top program again. Incredible machine.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should have it where you either stay for at least 2-3 years, or you can put your name in the draft right after high school (isn't this how it was back in the day?).

That way, you basically have to have an NBA team tell you, "Look, we are going to draft you in the top 10."

That way, if a player wants to skip, they can because they know that at least someone will take a chance on them, and they will be a lottery pick. Other than that, you have to spend at least 2-3 years in college. At that point, there is much more of an opportunity to be vested to the university, so there is a much better chance that the player stay to finish up (be it for the program, or the degree). Right now, college is just a pit stop, so players are not establishing any ties to the university. All they need to do is pass one semester. Problem is, the majority need more than one year, but they screw them selves over and have to declare, because they dropped classes after the fall semester.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too bad the NBA doesnt care about the quality of CBB

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There would be some amazing competitive games in college basketball if these guys stayed. March Madness would be a show!

College basketball is great and there's NOTHING in all of sports better than March Madness. :2cents:

But anyone associated with basketball (college and pro) knows that this deal isn't working for anyone. It needs to change. Dick Vitale is always screaming about no restrictions of any sort. it's a complex issue but I'll always love college basketball. It's the purest sport to me.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love college basketball as my most favorite sport. As far as OD getting emotionally attached to young men that another issue.
It does suck that we will never see teams like we did a while back, but the intensity, and passion for the game is still there. It also bring better coaching to the forefront, because a decent coach wont ever look great behind freshman talent. I would like to see them either take the guys right from high school to the d league or whatever, or make them stay 2 years. Dont see it likely though.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is for sure. March Madness is the greatest sporting event in history. And even though I love the sport of baseball more, college basketball is the top of the line.

Trevler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how MLB determines player eligibility to be drafted.

High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed

I think something similar to this would be good.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College basketball is great and there's NOTHING in all of sports better than March Madness. :2cents:

But anyone associated with basketball (college and pro) knows that this deal isn't working for anyone. It needs to change. Dick Vitale is always screaming about no restrictions of any sort. it's a complex issue but I'll always love college basketball. It's the purest sport to me.

Completely agree.

And dicky V is a moron

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too bad the NBA doesnt care about the quality of CBB

Could the NCAA implement a rule that states once you enter college you have to stay for three years before you put your name into the NBA draft? Is there anyway the NCAA could make it a part of the signing process when they sign out of high school? They could say it's because they care about them as students and think that three years in college is valuable experience and is beneficial for a students and that one year in college accomplishes nothing.

The NBA doesn't allow players to enter the draft right out of high school, but does the NCAA have to accept players for only a year?

A rule like the MLB has would make the most sense, but the NBA isn't going to change their rule. I think the NCAA should consider making athletes that are only going to enter the NBA ASAP to go to Europe or somewhere else instead.

I'm not sure it's possible to make a rule like that, but it'd help college basketball. That being said, I still think college basketball is fun to watch and that it doesn't need that much improvement.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could the NCAA implement a rule that states once you enter college you have to stay for three years before you put your name into the NBA draft? Is there anyway the NCAA could make it a part of the signing process when they sign out of high school? They could say it's because they care about them as students and think that three years in college is valuable experience and is beneficial for a students and that one year in college accomplishes nothing.
I suppose they could, but much like the rule saying that they have to declare they're leaving by a certain date (which is earlier than the NBA's draft declaration deadline) it would be completely unenforceable. Once they leave NCAA rules no longer apply, so making rules about leaving early is a pretty futile endeavor. Yes, that could theoretically make them contractually bound, realistically that would never fly.

The NBA doesn't allow players to enter the draft right out of high school, but does the NCAA have to accept players for only a year?
The NCAA doesn't have to accept anybody, but they've already given the OaD rule the thumbs up (despite all of the lip service about not liking it) by changing the rules to accommodate it. The NCAA could have stuck to its guns but instead, they immediately added an APR exemption in for athletes that early for their chosen sport. If they didn't put thet exemption in, obvious OaD guys would be far too risky to recruit.

A rule like the MLB has would make the most sense, but the NBA isn't going to change their rule. I think the NCAA should consider making athletes that are only going to enter the NBA ASAP to go to Europe or somewhere else instead.
Europe and the D-League have always been viable options for guys instead of college basketball, but there is no Dick Vitale equivalent in the D-League screaming about the (something that starts with "R") Rookies Baby!

I'm not sure it's possible to make a rule like that, but it'd help college basketball. That being said, I still think college basketball is fun to watch and that it doesn't need that much improvement.

It's a complicate issue for sure. I've written about it at great lengths, but suffice it to say, there isn't a solution I can think of that will make everyone (fans, programs, players, NBA execs) happy.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand why they dont just go back to the way they used to do it where you could declare and ( as long as you didnt sign an agent ) you could come back if you didnt get drafted as high as you thought you might. I have no ill will towards the guy that plays a year and then is a lottery pick but I feel terrible for the guys that declare and then dont get drafted til the 2nd round or even drafted at all. This rule seeemed to work fine. Id probably add an adendum that if you declared after your freshman year and then came back to college youd have to stay through your junior year as that would prevent guys from declaring every year.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand why they dont just go back to the way they used to do it where you could declare and ( as long as you didnt sign an agent ) you could come back if you didnt get drafted as high as you thought you might.
I think the fear is that even more talent would declare for the draft as there would be no risk doing so.

I have no ill will towards the guy that plays a year and then is a lottery pick but I feel terrible for the guys that declare and then dont get drafted til the 2nd round or even drafted at all. This rule seeemed to work fine.
I guess there is always the possibility that a kid was given really bad advice, but in general I don't feel too bad for the guys that leave early and don't get drafted in the first round. From what I've seen most of them know they aren't going to be high picks, but they do it to get some immediate money because of family needs.

Id probably add an adendum that if you declared after your freshman year and then came back to college youd have to stay through your junior year as that would prevent guys from declaring every year.
Again, it comes down to enforcement. A rule that you can't enforce isn't really a rule, and you most certainly can't enforce such a rule.

Also, when did they change the rule regarding returning from the draft? I don't ever remember a time when they could come back after having entered the draft.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the fear is that even more talent would declare for the draft as there would be no risk doing so.

I guess there is always the possibility that a kid was given really bad advice, but in general I don't feel too bad for the guys that leave early and don't get drafted in the first round. From what I've seen most of them know they aren't going to be high picks, but they do it to get some immediate money because of family needs.

Again, it comes down to enforcement. A rule that you can't enforce isn't really a rule, and you most certainly can't enforce such a rule.

Also, when did they change the rule regarding returning from the draft? I don't ever remember a time when they could come back after having entered the draft.

I think they only had the rule a couple years. The biggest name that entered and then came back was voshon lenard when he was an all american at minnesota, entered, went 2nd round and came back. There were a few other guys but his is the name that I remember.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is College Basketball Worse Than It Could Be?

Sorry, but...
I've been hooked on cbb since 2-and-out Earvin Johnson kissed Michigan State in 1977. Really can't say the quality of the GAME now is any better or worse than it's ever been - which has been, IMO, as good as it gets!

If they required players to stay 3 years or AT LEAST 2 years.

Why 'at least' two years? Why three?
Student athletes trade their talent for scholarships in yearly increments - with both parties having legal 'outs' to the agreements. I think it's good for (most) athletes, good for the schools/programs, good for all concerned IF the athletes make the most out of their college years...at worst they cop a free education...at best they improve their skills and go on to long, lucrative professional careers...but then,

who wants a player who doesn't want to play? After 1, 2 or 3 years?
Holding "Long Term-Oriented Service-for-Scholly Trade Contracts" over their heads is ludicrous these days.

The GAME's never been better.

LongHairedTimmeh

Bancroft Hall, USNA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's working just fine for the NBA...and for college players (I would never call them student-athletes) that show up on campus for no other purpose than to tread water until the NBA draft. However, the NCAA has no issue with this system either, so that's probably telling in itself.