• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colin Kaepernick vs. Joe Montana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The asterisk comment actually has nothing to do with Young. It does have to do with Rice. Right before the great pass to Owens, Rice clearly fumbled and the ball was recovered by the enemy. Why the call wasn't overturned I will never know, but the game would have otherwise been over.

How many instant replay reviews did you see that season? Looking at history through 2013 goggles and a slippery armchair, eh?

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many instant replay reviews did you see that season? Looking at history through 2013 goggles and a slippery armchair, eh?
LOL. I think one of us is. :)

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The asterisk comment actually has nothing to do with Young. It does have to do with Rice. Right before the great pass to Owens, Rice clearly fumbled and the ball was recovered by the enemy. Why the call wasn't overturned I will never know, but the game would have otherwise been over.

They didn't have instant replay at the time so they couldn't get another look at it.

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't have instant replay at the time so they couldn't get another look at it.
Actually I remember being pretty certain that call was going to be overturned, but I am getting older and my memory may not be what I seem to remember ...what was I saying? Anyway, I looked it up to be sure. Instant replay started in the NFL in 1986. If I recall they went with it for a couple of years, got rid of it, the reinstated it permanently. I'm pretty sure it was in place for that game.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I remember being pretty certain that call was going to be overturned, but I am getting older and my memory may not be what I seem to remember ...what was I saying? Anyway, I looked it up to be sure. Instant replay started in the NFL in 1986. If I recall they went with it for a couple of years, got rid of it, the reinstated it permanently. I'm pretty sure it was in place for that game.

They had it for a while, and then got rid of it and brought it back in 99' so that game didn't have replay. Worked out for us!

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

They definitely did not have instant replay at that point. The big big push for (the return of) instant replay came when Vinny Testaverde was awarded a TD against the Seahawks on a QB sneak where he had the ball tucked into his stomach and no part of his body really came close to breaking the plain of the goal line. That play was one of many in the 1998 season, but this call cost the Seahawks a playoff spot (it was week 14) and it got the Jets a bye (they finished 12-4, Indy was 11-5. Denver was the top seed at 14-2).

Here's an article, I'm trying to find video.
Quarterback sneak by Vinny Testaverde in 1998 opened door for coaches to request video replays - NY Daily News

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They definitely did not have instant replay at that point. The big big push for (the return of) instant replay came when Vinny Testaverde was awarded a TD against the Seahawks on a QB sneak where he had the ball tucked into his stomach and no part of his body really came close to breaking the plain of the goal line. That play was one of many in the 1998 season, but this call cost the Seahawks a playoff spot (it was week 14) and it got the Jets a bye (they finished 12-4, Indy was 11-5. Denver was the top seed at 14-2).

Quarterback sneak by Vinny Testaverde in 1998 opened door for coaches to request video replays - NY Daily News

I remember that play but wasn't Rice's fumble the final straw since the great Green Bay Packers & Brett Farve lost a game on a bad call?

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP would like talking to this SF poster on an old board I posted on. Extreme homerism.

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL. My memory really is getting bad. I (seem to) remember being very worried they would overturn the call. I don't recall feeling especially bad for Favre or the Packers, especially because as was pointed out earlier in this thread, they benefitted greatly from some terrible calls in previous games, and besides IMO, Favre is a twit of the first order. Still, it gave their fans an excuse to feel as though our boys shouldn't have won the game.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I remember that play but wasn't Rice's fumble the final straw since the great Green Bay Packers & Brett Farve lost a game on a bad call?

The Seahawks-Jets game was the big one because it
a. cost the Seahawks a playoff spot,
b. secured the Jets a first round bye, and
c. had a New York team directly involved (A NY team that was 2 years removed from 1-15).

The decision was, for all intents and purposes, made to bring back replay before the Rice fumble.

There was a collection of bad calls throughout that season that had built momentum. This one was so bad, and resulted directly in the GW TD being scored (it ended 32-31 Jets with that being the winning TD, scored with 20 seconds to go on 4th and goal.

It was about as similar a circumstance to the Fail Mary (except with the exact opposite play call, a QB sneak vs Hail Mary) as it could get.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Montana is a legend... Kap is going into his 3rd year as qb... Stop it....

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.. It works.. But comparing the 2 is a little crazy.. Wait 8 years then talk... :]

No, he'll talk when he wants to talk, not wait 8 years.. unless he wants to wait 8 years. Heck, he might even wait 9. Capiche?

Just kidding. He's fine, he just doesn't like people telling him what to think, say, or do (not that anyone likes those things). This isn't the first time where it's bothered him, but that's his right to be bothered by it.

For me, I'll wait a bit.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he'll talk when he wants to talk, not wait 8 years.. unless he wants to wait 8 years. Heck, he might even wait 9. Capiche?

Just kidding. He's fine, he just doesn't like people telling him what to think, say, or do (not that anyone likes those things). This isn't the first time where it's bothered him, but that's his right to be bothered by it.

For me, I'll wait a bit.

I hear ya...