• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clown asses finally gone

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Dave. And Chip, Chip... my God he is the most frustrating manager I've ever encountered. Every move he made in-game backfired, not his fault on the injury front but it's time to cut ties.

This roster still has tons of talent and could rebound as soon as next year if they stay healthy and all decide not to have career worst years together.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Dave. And Chip, Chip... my God he is the most frustrating manager I've ever encountered. Every move he made in-game backfired, not his fault on the injury front but it's time to cut ties.

This roster still has tons of talent and could rebound as soon as next year if they stay healthy and all decide not to have career worst years together.

Is it me, or weren't you praising Stewart's tenure as GM earlier this season?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They almost need to double down.

Trade guys like Bradley and Shipley to get another SP or fill a hole somewhere else.

Since Trumbo is going to leave I'd be shopping Tomas to Balt as his natural replacement and maybe get that sidewinding lefty RP to start to restock your pen.

Maybe bring Ziegler back.

But really your season will come down to Ray, Corbin and Rubby getting back strong.

Reactions: NY7

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Someone needs to "bow down" to them Diamondbacks. :D

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Shelby trade was stupid the moment it was announced. Not only did they give up wayyyyy too much, but there was plenty of reason to be skeptical about Shelby's performance going forward. He's had mediocre strikeout rates since his rookie year and he walks his share of batters. That's not to say he can't rebound and still be a useful part, but I wouldn't expect a low 3 ERA either (he outperformed his FIP/xFIP by a good margin). Trading Inciarte really hurt their defense too, especially after Pollock went down.

I could see Bradley and Ray having strong 2017 seasons. Bradley still needs to cut down on the walks, but he's improved in that regard from 2015 and he's getting strikeouts (9.1 K/9). Ray had one of the best strikeout rates (11.3) in the majors and his FIP/xFIP (3.76 and 3.45 respectively) were much better than his ERA (4.90).

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona has been a hurricane of odd personnel decisions going back to when they traded away Justin Upton and tried to build an entire lineup of Cody Ross types.

Dave Stewart was a great pitcher but an obvious hack as a GM. Felt like he made moves for the sake of making moves. Signing a Cuban became a big deal so he signed Tomas. Signing a big name SP is a headline, so he signed Greinke. Then there's the "blockbuster" that mortgaged the future for a SP who couldn't win 6 games the year prior.

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona has been a hurricane of odd personnel decisions going back to when they traded away Justin Upton and tried to build an entire lineup of Cody Ross types.

Dave Stewart was a great pitcher but an obvious hack as a GM. Felt like he made moves for the sake of making moves. Signing a Cuban became a big deal so he signed Tomas. Signing a big name SP is a headline, so he signed Greinke. Then there's the "blockbuster" that mortgaged the future for a SP who couldn't win 6 games the year prior.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona has been a hurricane of odd personnel decisions going back to when they traded away Justi n Upton and tried to build an entire lineup of Cody Ross types.

yeah... despite having a 3.02 ERA. The Braves had the worst offense in baseball and scored 0-2 runs in 18 of Miller's 33 starts. That's an awful lot.

I was critical of the Miller trade, but it had nothing to do with his W-L. It's a terrible stat to evaluate pitching performance.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah... despite having a 3.02 ERA. The Braves had the worst offense in baseball and scored 0-2 runs in 18 of Miller's 33 starts. That's an awful lot.

I was critical of the Miller trade, but it had nothing to do with his W-L. It's a terrible stat to evaluate pitching performance.

Miller looked more like a MOR guy based on his metrics and instead they paid for an Ace. Plus it's not like they were set at SS to begin with.

And they really shouldn't have traded Inciarte if you're trying to win. Just dip into the prospect pool.

They really should've taken advantage of Leake trying to give them a discount.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller looked more like a MOR guy based on his metrics and instead they paid for an Ace. Plus it's not like they were set at SS to begin with.

And they really shouldn't have traded Inciarte if you're trying to win. Just dip into the prospect pool.

They really should've taken advantage of Leake trying to give them a discount.

agreed. Even Inciarte for Miller alone would have been a questionable trade.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed. Even Inciarte for Miller alone would have been a questionable trade.

They were about the same WAR and they had Tomas without a position, so it would've made some sense.

But if you read stuff by guys like Tom Tango he says trades like that are the least efficient way to add talent.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomas may have a position (or not really, seeing as he split time in RF/LF), but it's not like he's good at it. A 110 OPS+ isn't going to cut it with that kind of defense.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomas may have a position (or not really, seeing as he split time in RF/LF), but it's not like he's good at it. A 110 OPS+ isn't going to cut it with that kind of defense.

Fair. They wanted to give him another shot after he missed like 2 years of playing ball (fair considering we saw what missing 3 months did to guys like JD Drew and Kendrys Morales).

I still think he's a classic Baltimore reclamation project (like Trumbo this year).

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it me, or weren't you praising Stewart's tenure as GM earlier this season?

Nope, I liked the talent on the roster for the upcoming season and had high expectations but I was furious about trading Inciarte and killing the farm, I didn't mind the Greinke signing and still don't. I liked the Segura trade, but man he came in and destroyed our farm. He undersold on Swanson big time.

It was a bad year all around and you can't predict injuries, but Stewart is not the right guy for the job. That is clear now.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Segura had a hell of a season (.319/.368/.499, 124 OPS+, 5+ WAR), but there's the matter of him actually repeating it. His BABIP this year was well above his career norms (.353 in 2016; career .314). It'll be interesting to see if this year's power surge is for real. He was still a solid player in 2013, but he was almost replacement level in 2014-15.

Swanson did pretty well in his short MLB stint (.302/.361/.442), but he also sported a high BABIP (.383).

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Segura had a hell of a season (.319/.368/.499, 124 OPS+, 5+ WAR), but there's the matter of him actually repeating it. His BABIP this year was well above his career norms (.353 in 2016; career .314). It'll be interesting to see if this year's power surge is for real. He was still a solid player in 2013, but he was almost replacement level in 2014-15.

Swanson did pretty well in his short MLB stint (.302/.361/.442), though he also sported a .383 BABIP.

Segura and swanson weren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Segura could've played 2B.