• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clock management question

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn't we start burning TOs when the Bears got it 1st & goal at the 7 late in the 1st half ? I think there was around 1:40 left. Why not use the TOs and play for another possession with time to maybe do something before the half after they scored... or didn't as it turned out ? No harm I guess but I thought it was a weird decision to let the clock run. It's not as if Chicago was hurting for time to do whatever they were going to do.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad u brought that topic up. If anyone remembers Bizzle from CBS, he and I were texting about why the Lions didn't run on 2nd down right before their 3rd TD of the game. It would've ran off another 30+ seconds leaving the Bears much less time.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't catch that one. I had something to do and DVR'd the 2nd half. I just zipped through it to watch all the plays. Didn't pay much attention to the time. I already knew they won. But right before halftime bugged me. It looked like they were going to get a FG at least and I was thinking don't we want another possession before the half ?

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn't we start burning TOs when the Bears got it 1st & goal at the 7 late in the 1st half ? I think there was around 1:40 left. Why not use the TOs and play for another possession with time to maybe do something before the half after they scored... or didn't as it turned out ? No harm I guess but I thought it was a weird decision to let the clock run. It's not as if Chicago was hurting for time to do whatever they were going to do.

Schwartz is a conservative coach. He doesn't think that way unless it's desperation time.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz is a conservative coach. He doesn't think that way unless it's desperation time.

This. From what I have seen this season, if theres less than 2 minutes lef before the end of the half jim will just run the clock out, I guess hes worried about a turnover? I dont know. Smething else was botherin me as well about schwartz. I saw in another thread a few weeks ago how schwartz would always take the ball first to start the game to build momentum and start off hot or something along those lines, while many other coaches have been deferring the ball. Which was fine, I preferred that and deferring the ball makes no sense, unless you are marty morninwheg. Anyhow schwartz chose to defer for who knows why and the bears marched easiky down the field and scored.ugh.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyhow schwartz chose to defer for who knows why and the bears marched easiky down the field and scored.ugh.
Yeah but we had a huge stop to end the first half. That excitement and momentum seemed to carry over to the 2nd half as the Lions marched right down on their own and went up by a TD, never to relinquish their lead.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but we had a huge stop to end the first half. That excitement and momentum seemed to carry over to the 2nd half as the Lions marched right down on their own and went up by a TD, never to relinquish their lead.

Thats great, but its not like schwartz could have predicted that. I just dont like how a coach says theres a reason he does something and then two weeks later does the exact opposite. Is reminiscient of when JL (tigers) asked the media who the fuck do they want him to use as closer when they had benoit in pen and all of the fans wanted benoit and JL acted like he had nobody in pen he could use. Benoit finally becomes closer and hes dominant. I mean, you are the fucking coach, dont flip flop and know our team. Why defer in the 1st place, why is this the thing to do all of the sudden? I dont get it.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why defer in the 1st place, why is this the thing to do all of the sudden?
Maybe bc he realized that shit wasn't working? Why keep doing the same shot over and over if you're getting the same results? I applaud the fact that we finally got the ball first in the 2nd half. If the offense struggles in the 1st half, it gives em that halftime to regroup and come out firing, which they did.

Coaches stances have to change if things aren't working. I'm glad he realized that and made that adjustment.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, nevermind.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would always defer if I was the coach. Every single time if I won the toss.

My reasoning would be that the defensive plan we put in place might offer a different look than what the offense was expecting to see. It's the first drive of the game and perhaps they are a little bit cold. Get a quick stop and you could put field position in your favor.

Deferring might get you an extra series with the ball in the second half. At halftime you've seen what the D is running and can make adjustments to take advantage. You dont have that on the first drive. Despite Chicago scoring I think it was the right call.

Anyone got any stats on what the percentage of times it is that the team with the ball first scores? That would be really interesting to know.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe bc he realized that shit wasn't working? Why keep doing the same shot over and over if you're getting the same results? I applaud the fact that we finally got the ball first in the 2nd half. If the offense struggles in the 1st half, it gives em that halftime to regroup and come out firing, which they did.

Coaches stances have to change if things aren't working. I'm glad he realized that and made that adjustment.

I agree. The Lions have been a much better offensive team in the 2nd half than in the 1st half. Not just this year but since Stafford got here. The guy is a 2nd half QB. It makes sense to take the ball in the 2nd half. Not only does our offense play better in the 2nd half, I dont think we have ever opened a game with a TD when receiving first. Slow starts. Big finishes. I'll take the extra 2nd half possession every time.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday was the first time all year that Detroit scored a touchdown on its opening drive. Can't say as to the other seasons though.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone remembers Bizzle from CBS, he and I were texting about why the Lions didn't run on 2nd down right before their 3rd TD of the game. It would've ran off another 30+ seconds leaving the Bears much less time.

Because the Lions were trying to score on 2nd down, as well, or at least get a 1st down. The TD was more important than the clock, at that point.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the Lions were trying to score on 2nd down, as well, or at least get a 1st down. The TD was more important than the clock, at that point.

I can understand not pushing it in the first half against a defense like the Bears. No sense in forcing amything and making a mistake.

I would have run, however late in the game to kill the clock. The Bears would have had 1 less TO and that could have changed their play calling.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand not pushing it in the first half against a defense like the Bears. No sense in forcing amything and making a mistake.

I would have run, however late in the game to kill the clock. The Bears would have had 1 less TO and that could have changed their play calling.

They didn't need to push it or force anything. But for an offensive team like the Lions possessions should be considered valuable commodities. We only had 3 in the first half and moved the ball well on 2 of them. Those weren't the '85 Bears on the other side of the ball yesterday. There was around 1:40 left when Chicago got it 1st & goal at the 7. If you call all 3 TOs, worst case scenario is the Bears score and kick off to us with 40+ seconds left. Mix in an incomplete pass, or even better... say we pick it off :whistle:and there's a lot more time to do something when we get it back. The turnover was great but from a clock management standpoint Schwartz basically was conceding the score and an additional possession.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The not pushing it in the first half thought process is wrong. Especially when you have stafford and CJ. To the aggressor goes the spoils. When are the lions going to play an entire game like lions and not like lambs?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fwiw, I watched the replay on the NFL channel last night and there was 1:52 left when the Bears got it to 1st & goal on the 7. The Lions had 3 TOs.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah ok someone posted a quote in another thread about this a week or two ago from him. Maybe there was some confusion down the line because he seemed pretty adamant that he wanted the ball first. Maybe i misread it.

Well no, I just saw an article about it. Schwartz said like three weeks ago when asked if he would prefer the ball first that he does because of calvin and matthew. Fast forward to the bears game and now he is deferring, because, well who the hell knows. I dont care for coaches that really arent sure of what they are doing, and at the time I actually for once said i supported schwartzes decision to take the ball first because in my opinion it always makes the most sense to have the opportunity to gain momentum and score first. Take early control of the game, then he done goes out and contradicts himself. Ugh.