• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clock Management and Timeout Coordinator

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It amazes me that I can be drunk off my ass and "know" how to manage the clock and timeouts while watching the game. Apparently a head coach does not have the same level of mental acuity as a drunk sum bitch watching from afar. LOL

So, serious question, should teams have a coordinator designated (maybe even a coach that doesn't have all the real time game management things going on in their head) to handle this crucial aspect of the game. Pelini was atrocious at clock management and Riley had some snafus his first game as head coach.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
qo6fc.jpg

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, there is a reason for not snapping the ball at the very last second.

It's not like all of us were sitting here going "SNAP IT AT THE LAST SECOND!!!! HOW DOES HE NOT KNOW THIS?!!!".....and he was sitting there like "fuck, what do I do?!!"

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, there is a reason for not snapping the ball at the very last second.

It's not like all of us were sitting here going "SNAP IT AT THE LAST SECOND!!!! HOW DOES HE NOT KNOW THIS?!!!".....and he was sitting there like "fuck, what do I do?!!"

Granted, I was tongue in cheek, but seriously, would someone designated solely to consider clock management be a bad thing. Too often the head coaches have so many different things going on in their minds during the game, a designated guy tasked with thinking only of clock and timeouts might be something to consider. Again, it doesn't have to be a completely new guy, but what is WR coach doing real time during the game that he couldn't be tasked with focusing on clock management and giving real time feedback to the head coach?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying. Not a bad idea at all.

I don't think we had any mismanagement on Saturday though. I understood everything we did there in the 4th quarter.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying. Not a bad idea at all.

I don't think we had any mismanagement on Saturday though. I understood everything we did there in the 4th quarter.

Even the slow developing HB draw play on third and one that would of won the game had we converted?

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he explained that one in his presser.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even the slow developing HB draw play on third and one that would of won the game had we converted?

You are wasting your time with the Kool-Aid drinker denialists.

Everything Riley does for the next 7 years is right and will not be questioned.

It was the same with bo-pleeny up until the day he was fired. Then the roaches came out of the woodwork talking 'bout how they never liked the fuck and he should have been gone long ago.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that, the QB sneak, and the short side jet sweep to Jamal were horrendous calls..

I believe the RileDog addressed all of them in his presser

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that, the QB sneak, and the short side jet sweep to Jamal were horrendous calls..

I believe the RileDog addressed all of them in his presser

I didn't see the presser. Do you have a link for it? I'm not anti-Riley by any means. Always would like to hear all sides of the issues.

And I am still going to be enthusiastic with Riley at the helm. I loved the fact we made halftime adjustments and didn't get completely ass raped like it was looking to be.

Am disappointed that the whole "we will modify our approach to fit the skills of the players" was all just bullshit as Tommy obviously had a huge anchor tied to him....

Will end with something my uncle told me when Riley was hired.....we will not be able to get a pro-set style QB worth a damn to come to Nebraska when they can go to Florida, California, Texas, or the SEC....we have to be different.....

As much as I thought Tommy played overall very well, he will never flourish in a Riley type offense....he just doesn't have the talent that is needed....

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick O'Brien is that pro-style QB, and Gebbia likely coming the year after.. I'll try and find that link

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did see a second run off on a few incomplete passes. that there should have been enough to end the game before the hail mary.

:bolt:

oh wait..that goes the other way...never mind

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I was speaking in terms of time management.

I agreed with the way we managed the clock. Snapping the ball at random times under 6 seconds was a very smart decision, and the timeouts that were called were all good timeouts.

It's hard to call a QB sneak a "bad call" when the Offensive Line doesn't do their job and create a push for 1 damn yard. The jet sweep was a really really bad call.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the same time, it's very easy for anyone to call any play a bad call when it doesn't work.

Just like the entire game of football goes. The outcome changes everything. If the miracle hail mary doesn't end up working out for BYU, we aren't having all these discussions about things we need to change. Shit, one would think the entire coaching staff needs to be scrapped after one damn football game with the way people have knee-jerked over this.

One miracle play turned the average fan's view from "this was a good win over a good opponent" to "we have a ton of shit we need to work on.....this is pretty bad."

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the same time, it's very easy for anyone to call any play a bad call when it doesn't work.

Just like the entire game of football goes. The outcome changes everything. If the miracle hail mary doesn't end up working out for BYU, we aren't having all these discussions about things we need to change. Shit, one would think the entire coaching staff needs to be scrapped after one damn football game with the way people have knee-jerked over this.

One miracle play turned the average fan's view from "this was a good win over a good opponent" to "we have a ton of shit we need to work on.....this is pretty bad."

I know you aren't talking about me and I don't agree with the anti's that are "I told you Riley would suck and Pelini is way better"....or even the Pelini sucked and Riley will never succeed group either....

It's funny that Pelini held on for as long as he did on a couple hail mary's and fluke wins....

As many positives that came out of the first game, you can't deny what my biggest complaint was that Armstrong was clearly coached not to run, and that is his best natural talent....it will be hard for Coach Riley to win many games in the near future if he is going to force his quarterback to try and do something that he doesn't have the natural talent to succeed at. If he wants to scrap the Tommy at quarterback and go in a different direction, that is fine, but don't blow sunshine up our ass with this whole "hybrid" talk when you have no desire for Armstrong to do what he excels at....

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you aren't talking about me and I don't agree with the anti's that are "I told you Riley would suck and Pelini is way better"....or even the Pelini sucked and Riley will never succeed group either....

It's funny that Pelini held on for as long as he did on a couple hail mary's and fluke wins....

As many positives that came out of the first game, you can't deny what my biggest complaint was that Armstrong was clearly coached not to run, and that is his best natural talent....it will be hard for Coach Riley to win many games in the near future if he is going to force his quarterback to try and do something that he doesn't have the natural talent to succeed at. If he wants to scrap the Tommy at quarterback and go in a different direction, that is fine, but don't blow sunshine up our ass with this whole "hybrid" talk when you have no desire for Armstrong to do what he excels at....

No I'm definitely not talking about you.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad idea.

Special Team coach sounds most likely. My understanding from Riley is that Bruce Read is the best special teams coach in the universe.

But I think there are enough coaches or graduate student coaches that one of them could do that. I don't want some guy or gal paid $500,000 plus perks and only has to worry about 2 minutes of real world problems for 14 weeks(and sometimes there will be blowouts that clock management isn't even needed). If there is a job like that, I want to apply.