• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Cin at SF Sunday 4:25pm est

Who Dey?

• Bengals by 7 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kiss the sister

• SF by 7 or more

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have to rough up the purty boy

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sam Darnold career revival is set for take-off. I'm already dreading it.

I think Purdy is a good qb. I was hoping he would struggle against us this week so the talking heads could do the whole overreaction thing about a couple of poor showings leading to losses before he turns it back around and starts kicking ass again. But now we're going to get the Sam Darnold 300 yard, 2 TD passing game and the talking heads either praising Shanny as the QB guru or the overly hyped 'should there be a qb controversy in SF talk.'

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sam Darnold career revival is set for take-off. I'm already dreading it.

I think Purdy is a good qb. I was hoping he would struggle against us this week so the talking heads could do the whole overreaction thing about a couple of poor showings leading to losses before he turns it back around and starts kicking ass again. But now we're going to get the Sam Darnold 300 yard, 2 TD passing game and the talking heads either praising Shanny as the QB guru or the overly hyped 'should there be a qb controversy in SF talk.'
It really comes down to the offense...score early, and force SF to pass...and the defense can do what it does best, which is get after the QB...

No Purdy. No Samuel. Possibly no Williams at LT, and if so - likely limited as he missed last weeks' game, I believe, and when injured against the Brows was eaten alive for one of his worst days as a pro. Banged up in other areas.

Again, it's not who you play, but when.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really comes down to the offense...score early, and force SF to pass...and the defense can do what it does best, which is get after the QB...

No Purdy. No Samuel. Possibly no Williams at LT, and if so - likely limited as he missed last weeks' game, I believe, and when injured against the Brows was eaten alive for one of his worst days as a pro. Banged up in other areas.

Again, it's not who you play, but when.
Agreed. The sad thing is that even with all of our talent on offense, there isn't one of us that really believe enough in our ability to get a lead and consistently move the football. And it's been like this for the last couple of years. That unit needs to start living up to potential or it is time for change.

As you mention, SF is banged up and their D is not the same D as it was under Ryans. Hell, Cousins put up 300+ without JJ and his offensive line is no better than ours.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The sad thing is that even with all of our talent on offense, there isn't one of us that really believe enough in our ability to get a lead and consistently move the football. And it's been like this for the last couple of years. That unit needs to start living up to potential or it is time for change.

As you mention, SF is banged up and their D is not the same D as it was under Ryans. Hell, Cousins put up 300+ without JJ and his offensive line is no better than ours.
You know... the more I look at the offense, the more I'm convinced that the running game, and Mixon, is the piece that is killing this offense.

While this is a pass first, and pass often, offense...the inconsistency is with the running game because they are getting absolutely nothing from it. It puts so much pressure on the passing game to be perfect all the time, which isn't going to happen.

We can talk about TE, or Higgins' issues...and those are certainly fair points...but in terms of expectations for a position group vs how they are used in game situations and production - there isn't a group that gets less than the RB group.

Either it's time to see what there is in Chase Brown....or maybe swing a trade (and no, not for Perine...someone who is a CLEAR upgrade).

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know... the more I look at the offense, the more I'm convinced that the running game, and Mixon, is the piece that is killing this offense.

While this is a pass first, and pass often, offense...the inconsistency is with the running game because they are getting absolutely nothing from it. It puts so much pressure on the passing game to be perfect all the time, which isn't going to happen.

We can talk about TE, or Higgins' issues...and those are certainly fair points...but in terms of expectations for a position group vs how they are used in game situations and production - there isn't a group that gets less than the RB group.

Either it's time to see what there is in Chase Brown....or maybe swing a trade (and no, not for Perine...someone who is a CLEAR upgrade).
This is what I have been saying!! Mixon is a huge issue.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I have been saying!! Mixon is a huge issue.
You nailed it. Just took awhile for me to come around on the issue(s).

In fairness, the past year, or two, it was really hard to tell because the OL was pretty rough. He also had that huge game last year rushing when they seemed to change up their desired blocking scheme.

But, the advanced metrics are what they are. The weakest OL, Volston, has a solid run blocking grade, so the OL isn't really a huge issue at the moment in the run game. I've seen where there are a lot of opportunities to get yards, and it just doesn't materialize. Not always on Mixon, but when you are unable to break tackles on 1st contact, be elusive, and lack overall explosiveness to get those longer run plays...I think you add that in to his inability to just get the ball and GO and the results are what they are.

Not to mention he's facing a light box nearly more than any other RB in the NFL over the past 2 seasons as teams look to bubble scheme the passing game to take away the explosive plays. Without a running game that can churn out a consistent 4-5 yards against those light boxes...the amount of pressure on the offense to pass, be consistent, and grind out drives becomes a huge problem...even when you have Burrow/Chase/Higgins.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You nailed it. Just took awhile for me to come around on the issue(s).

In fairness, the past year, or two, it was really hard to tell because the OL was pretty rough. He also had that huge game last year rushing when they seemed to change up their desired blocking scheme.

But, the advanced metrics are what they are. The weakest OL, Volston, has a solid run blocking grade, so the OL isn't really a huge issue at the moment in the run game. I've seen where there are a lot of opportunities to get yards, and it just doesn't materialize. Not always on Mixon, but when you are unable to break tackles on 1st contact, be elusive, and lack overall explosiveness to get those longer run plays...I think you add that in to his inability to just get the ball and GO and the results are what they are.

Not to mention he's facing a light box nearly more than any other RB in the NFL over the past 2 seasons as teams look to bubble scheme the passing game to take away the explosive plays. Without a running game that can churn out a consistent 4-5 yards against those light boxes...the amount of pressure on the offense to pass, be consistent, and grind out drives becomes a huge problem...even when you have Burrow/Chase/Higgins.
If you watch last year's regular season game against KC, you get a better glimpse at what the Bengals offense should be. Perine was the starter that day as Mixon was out with a concussion. With our O-line healthy, he ran for 5 yards a pop and the passing game was ridiculously efficient. The Bengals should have won that game by 2 scores but they were done in by Taylor being silly (hello jet sweep to Trent Taylor) and Boyd dropping a TD that was dropped in his lap. But, what you see from the offense is a team that punishes a team playing light boxes.... Not with long explosive runs, but getting 4-6 yards a pop. The passing game opens up, Burrow's decision making becomes a huge asset and the threat of big plays always looms large. We just don't get that with Mixon in the game.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you watch last year's regular season game against KC, you get a better glimpse at what the Bengals offense should be. Perine was the starter that day as Mixon was out with a concussion. With our O-line healthy, he ran for 5 yards a pop and the passing game was ridiculously efficient. The Bengals should have won that game by 2 scores but they were done in by Taylor being silly (hello jet sweep to Trent Taylor) and Boyd dropping a TD that was dropped in his lap. But, what you see from the offense is a team that punishes a team playing light boxes.... Not with long explosive runs, but getting 4-6 yards a pop. The passing game opens up, Burrow's decision making becomes a huge asset and the threat of big plays always looms large. We just don't get that with Mixon in the game.
I think some are seeing the same things...rumor was/is that Brown is set to see an expanded role...of course, then he pops up on the injury report yesterday with a hammy issue...so...who knows now...lol

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To further illustrate how poor the run game has been:

Cincinnati has faced a light box...86% of the time this season.

And yet are getting less than 70 yards a game....I mean...woof.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Indications are that Purdy is likely to play this weekend. Kind of surprised by that. He went into protocol Tuesday

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, I hope he's ok. sure I hope we win, but not at the expense of someone losing their mind.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indications are that Purdy is likely to play this weekend. Kind of surprised by that. He went into protocol Tuesday
The Shanahan family is highly regarded for protecting their partially injured quarterbacks. I'm sure this will be fine.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Shanahan family is highly regarded for protecting their partially injured quarterbacks. I'm sure this will be fine.
Lol.

I was kind of intrigued by the idea of seeing Darnold in that offense. He has some talent and seemingly every QB plays well under Shannahan. The fact they have a big name backup QB made me even more surprised Purdy is returning this quickly