• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chip's secret advisor: Jimmy Johnson

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting reading. Chip has been calling some old coaches for advice, using them as sounding boards as he decides on his crazy moves. Among the coaches? Jimmy Johnson.

“Does Kelly remind you of you, 25 years ago?” I asked Johnson the other day.

“Well, in some ways,” Johnson said. “I really like what I have seen out of Chip Kelly. Chip called me and we visited a couple times, and what I heard from him, I liked. No one can say from the outside—right moves, wrong moves. You gotta let ‘em play out. You won’t know till you see the results. I felt I was right when I did the things I did, but who knew? I traded away my starting quarterback, Steve Pelluer, to Kansas City. The leading receiver, I don’t remember his name [it was Ray Alexander] we got rid of. I talked to Danny White, and he retired. Then I traded Herschel Walker. You can’t be afraid to make moves. Chip’s not. So some of it is similar. But there is one big difference: We were the worst team in the league two years in a row [1988, 1989]. People were ready for a big change.

“The similarities? We’re both confident, both competent, both know how to win. We talked after he got the new responsibilities this year. I just said, ‘Go with people you believe in, and go with players who fit your personality and fit your system.’ I have talked to Bill Belichick about this too. Certain players are gonna be successful in his system and not in others.”

Read more at Kelly Using Jimmy Johnson As a 'Sounding Board' - Birds 24/7

Kelly Using Jimmy Johnson As a 'Sounding Board' - Birds 24/7

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article it cant hurt to talk to as many winning coaches as you can. For as much as we all hate the cowboys ad Jimmy Johnson the guy was a winner