• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chiefs Cut Jeremy Maclin

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith was producing before Reid came into his life. In fact before he got hurt his final year with the 49ers he was on pace for a career year with a 104 QB rating and over a 70% completion rate.

I really do like Alex Smith. He is a good QB but not a great one. He generally won't lose you games but he doesn't win you them either. He has looked pretty good in Philly. Under Harbaugh, he wasn't asked to do much. The 49ers had a top defense and running game. Alex Smith was very conservative and checked down a lot. He wouldn't throw deep often and did not throw into tight windows or throw guys open when he was in SF. He did have an amazing comeback game against New Orleans in the playoffs and the NO's DC helped him out by running a poor defensive scheme. the NY Giants figured out how to stop him. Did it in the NFL championship game and in a regular season game the following year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do like Alex Smith. He is a good QB but not a great one. He generally won't lose you games but he doesn't win you them either. He has looked pretty good in Philly. Under Harbaugh, he wasn't asked to do much. The 49ers had a top defense and running game. Alex Smith was very conservative and checked down a lot. He wouldn't throw deep often and did not throw into tight windows or throw guys open when he was in SF. He did have an amazing comeback game against New Orleans in the playoffs and the NO's DC helped him out by running a poor defensive scheme. the NY Giants figured out how to stop him. Did it in the NFL championship game and in a regular season game the following year
Thats pretty close to my opinion of Alex Smith. A guy that can get a team with a great defense to the playoffs but thats about it. He really isnt a guy you want against playoff defenses because the only way he is really going to kill a team is with his legs.

I think last year really exposed his game managing aspects. He had some really poor turnovers that lost games. But he also had some really, really good 4th quarter play once the other teams started playing the clock and not Alex Smith.

That Niners team almost won a Super Bowl with Colin Kaepernick. I think the idea that Alex Smith is a positive commodity is somewhat suspect. He is a starting level QB and nothing more imo.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I think this is very smart. He was hurt last year. If nothing else it's inventory. Had a brief rebound to close out the year. I am probably the most comfortable guy out there with Tyreek Hill and Conley but that looks a lot better if Maclin is in the equation. No reason to give up on Maclin in 2017.

and he is a veteran to help out all the young guys they just got. Did he have a falling out with upper management or something?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he have a falling out with upper management or something?
Quite the opposite as far as I've heard. Pretty much everyone is a fan of Maclin.

This is more of a money thing then anything else, I'd imagine. The Chiefs overspent on Eric Berry (still a good move, though) and have a good amount of money in their oline and in a couple of years Kelce, Hill, their dline and Marcus Peters.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite the opposite as far as I've heard. Pretty much everyone is a fan of Maclin.

This is more of a money thing then anything else, I'd imagine. The Chiefs overspent on Eric Berry (still a good move, though) and have a good amount of money in their oline and in a couple of years Kelce, Hill, their dline and Marcus Peters.

That's true money is always an issue... And they have what they think is the "future" at WR so I guess that's why they cut him

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true money is always an issue... And they have what they think is the "future" at WR so I guess that's why they cut him
Pretty much. It'll be the same reason they'll likely boot Alex Smith out the door in a year or two.

Their drafting strategy combined with this move suggests that they are more interested in keeping a core together for awhile then winning a Super Bowl in 2017 with the pieces they have in place (imo).

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much. It'll be the same reason they'll likely boot Alex Smith out the door in a year or two.

Their drafting strategy combined with this move suggests that they are more interested in keeping a core together for awhile then winning a Super Bowl in 2017 with the pieces they have in place (imo).

Do you think they will have even a shot to win it this year?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think they will have even a shot to win it this year?
There are some unlikely scenarios that could play out on top of some more likely scenarios that could play out. A lot of their question marks are at positions that most people aren't normally looking at: LG, #2 CB, #2 TE, #3 WR but its also hard to see Alex Smith keeping up with an elite offense in the playoffs or beating an elite defense in the playoffs. I like Terrance Mitchell at #2 CB a lot but he has to do it again and Ive seen some good numbers for Ehinger at LG so we'll see. The biggest weakness to the team last year was actually stopping the run up the middle and hopefully thats been addressed.

The Chiefs do a lot of Gronk stuff with Kelce and if they could actually throw it deep then it would really open up their screen games to scary levels but then we're talking about some sort of fantasy scenario where Mahomes steps in and is ready to play by the end of the year. Without that, I think you're looking at something closer to a 10% shot at winning a Super Bowl. Nothing to write home about.

edit

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some unlikely scenarios that could play out on top of some more likely scenarios that could play out. A lot of their question marks are at positions that most people aren't normally looking at: LG, #2 CB, #2 TE, #3 WR but its also hard to see Alex Smith keeping up with an elite offense in the playoffs or beating an elite defense in the playoffs.

The Chiefs do a lot of Gronk stuff with Kelce and if they could actually throw it deep then it would really open up their screen games to scary levels but then we're talking about some sort of fantasy scenario where Mahomes steps in and is ready to play by the end of the year. Without that, I think you're looking at something closer to a 10% shot at winning a Super Bowl. Nothing to write home about.

Well the Browns won a game last year so this is possible as well :D

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats pretty close to my opinion of Alex Smith. A guy that can get a team with a great defense to the playoffs but thats about it. He really isnt a guy you want against playoff defenses because the only way he is really going to kill a team is with his legs.

I think last year really exposed his game managing aspects. He had some really poor turnovers that lost games. But he also had some really, really good 4th quarter play once the other teams started playing the clock and not Alex Smith.

That Niners team almost won a Super Bowl with Colin Kaepernick. I think the idea that Alex Smith is a positive commodity is somewhat suspect. He is a starting level QB and nothing more imo.

This pretty much sums it up

Chiefs can't win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith at QB | PFF

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange move by the Chiefs, got to think he has another job soon.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, with another brilliant QB coach.... better than douche nozzle "hello overrated" Gruden. Until Harbaugh arrived Smith's own fanbase was boo'ing him off the field. "We want Carr!" if you don't recall...

He also was switching OC's every single season making it hard to find any kind of consistency in the offensive playbook/style they were playing. I'm not sure there are many QB's that would be successful having to learn a whole new playbook every single year. Yes I remember them booing him and yes he did struggle early on in his career. Once he got some consistency though around him he turned into a decent QB. I'm not trying to say he is elite by any means but I would put him top half of the league when it comes to QB's in the NFL.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do like Alex Smith. He is a good QB but not a great one. He generally won't lose you games but he doesn't win you them either. He has looked pretty good in Philly. Under Harbaugh, he wasn't asked to do much. The 49ers had a top defense and running game. Alex Smith was very conservative and checked down a lot. He wouldn't throw deep often and did not throw into tight windows or throw guys open when he was in SF. He did have an amazing comeback game against New Orleans in the playoffs and the NO's DC helped him out by running a poor defensive scheme. the NY Giants figured out how to stop him. Did it in the NFL championship game and in a regular season game the following year.

Oh I get all that. I was just more proving his success isn't solely based on Andy Reid giving him a great system. He has had success with other coaches. And believe me I have been one that has said the Chiefs will be good but not great as long as Smith is their QB. He is a limited QB. I understand that all too well with this past season for the Broncos having a very conservative QB in Siemian. He reminds me so much of Smith actually in the way he plays the game. It is frustrating to watch when you see WR's breaking wide open down the field and they hit the 3 yard out play on a 3rd and 5 that leaves them short.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also was switching OC's every single season making it hard to find any kind of consistency in the offensive playbook/style they were playing. I'm not sure there are many QB's that would be successful having to learn a whole new playbook every single year. Yes I remember them booing him and yes he did struggle early on in his career. Once he got some consistency though around him he turned into a decent QB. I'm not trying to say he is elite by any means but I would put him top half of the league when it comes to QB's in the NFL.

I mean fair, but Alex Smith was a complete train wreck even with a great defense until arguably one of the best QB and offensive coaches of all time came along.