• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Chicago (CE 3) vs ST. Louis (CE2)

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Bluez. And heck of a series from all the Hawks except Toews (Was he there, did he get into the arena?). Panarin, Teraveinen and Hjalmarsson are special players. And man do I miss Arty Party.

I like seeing the Blues keep it together. It gives me hope that John Davidson actually has a plan beyond "eh, trade... THAT guy".
Come again? Had one fewer point than Kane and Panarin and was top 2 in possession among Hawks forwards in 4 of the 7 games. He didn't have his best game last night, though.

TBH, if anybody unexpectedly impressed me it was Anisimov.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy to think Kane and Toews only combined for one goal in the series. Shaw ended up leading the team in goals with one less game played.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come again? Had one fewer point than Kane and Panarin and was top 2 in possession among Hawks forwards in 4 of the 7 games. He didn't have his best game last night, though.

He's making over 10 million now, so I patiently await the national media questioning his numbers. I don't dislike the guy, I just don't understand why he's put in that top five conversation.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That game last night was why I love playoff hockey. That felt like a conference final to me, not a first round series. It's unfortunate that these two teams had to play each other so soon in the playoffs.

Go Blues

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was just inconsistent compared to what I've come to expect from him. He was pretty well neutralized by Backes most times that I saw. Not saying he was a scrub, but he just was not the impact player he usually is. He was invisible for long periods of a few games.

And yeah, Anisimov is way better than he gets credit for. He's done a lot for Panarin and while I cant be sad about Saad, I really wish I'd have gotten the chance to see Anisimov with Bjorkstrand...

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's making over 10 million now, so I patiently await the national media questioning his numbers. I don't dislike the guy, I just don't understand why he's put in that top five conversation.
He's among the best two-way players in the game, and while his numbers seem a little underwhelming for $10 mil he does average 72 pts over 82 regular season games. His defensive and gameplay contributions put him up there with the Crosbys and Ovies.

It's also why LA gave Kopitar $10 milli too.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apologies if already discussed, but Seabrook looked pretty woozy last night after that hit by Brouwer and I don't recall if he went to the quiet room. I guess my question is what good is a concussion protocol if nobody puts it into practice?

/And yes, the Flames earlier this season were guilty of the same thing with Dennis Wideman.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apologies if already discussed, but Seabrook looked pretty woozy last night after that hit by Brouwer and I don't recall if he went to the quiet room. I guess my question is what good is a concussion protocol if nobody puts it into practice?

/And yes, the Flames earlier this season were guilty of the same thing with Dennis Wideman.

But they overcompensated by putting him in there for 21 games.

/too soon?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol - Might have been a blessing in disguise, 43.

/Praying to Oprah this Saturday

You keep doing that. I am praying to Prince, David Bowie and BB King.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You mean he stayed in the game and managed not to incapacitate an official?

This is contrary to what I've been led to believe regarding how people react to concussions.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean he stayed in the game and managed not to incapacitate an official?

This is contrary to what I've been led to believe regarding how people react to concussions.

He was pulling himself out of the game and the linesman got in the way. Gotta keep that head on a swivel, BBB.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's among the best two-way players in the game, and while his numbers seem a little underwhelming for $10 mil he does average 72 pts over 82 regular season games. His defensive and gameplay contributions put him up there with the Crosbys and Ovies.

It's also why LA gave Kopitar $10 milli too.

I don't want to downplay the two way player, they're important. But that still doesn't get him into my top five players, probably not into my top five forwards. With the emergence of Benn and Seguin, then Sid, OV, probably Tavares, if I'm "starting a team" I'd get McDavid before him too. Kane (*vomits*), Pavelski, possibly take Bergeron and Stamkos first too. Actually, Bergeron is basically a better version of Toews, so.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to downplay the two way player, they're important. But that still doesn't get him into my top five players, probably not into my top five forwards. With the emergence of Benn and Seguin, then Sid, OV, probably Tavares, if I'm "starting a team" I'd get McDavid before him too. Kane (*vomits*), Pavelski, possibly take Bergeron and Stamkos first too. Actually, Bergeron is basically a better version of Toews, so.
If you'd take Sid that's fine. JT, McD, either of the Dallas boys, sure. Matter of opinion. Their numbers are ridiculously good.

But Pavelski and Bergeron? How is Bergeron even close to a better version of Toews? If you're saying Toews' totals are reason enough to not include him in a top 5 Bergeron has produced at a much lower rate than Toews has over his career in both the regular season and the playoffs. They are very similar defensively and possession-wise, so what is the tie-breaker here?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you'd take Sid that's fine. JT, McD, either of the Dallas boys, sure. Matter of opinion. Their numbers are ridiculously good.

But Pavelski and Bergeron? How is Bergeron even close to a better version of Toews? If you're saying Toews' totals are reason enough to not include him in a top 5 Bergeron has produced at a much lower rate than Toews has over his career in both the regular season and the playoffs. They are very similar defensively and possession-wise, so what is the tie-breaker here?

Much lower rate? Really? I'll admit I'm taking into account Bergeron of the last five years, and honestly their numbers are pretty similar. And I feel he's better as a two-way player. I don't put Bergeron in my top five players, but I'd be tempted to put him ahead of Toews. Postseason Toews has the edge, certainly.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much lower rate? Really? I'll admit I'm taking into account Bergeron of the last five years, and honestly their numbers are pretty similar. And I feel he's better as a two-way player. I don't put Bergeron in my top five players, but I'd be tempted to put him ahead of Toews. Postseason Toews has the edge, certainly.
I actually think Bergeron has the edge possession-wise, but throughout their career Toews scores .1 PPG more. Ditto for playoff scoring.

Like I said, it's preference at the end of the day. Both Boston and Chicago decided to build their teams around Bergeron and Toews, respectively, and they were two of the most successful clubs in the past decade. There are obviously other factors at play but having that well-scoring two-way C to depend on has served them well.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Bergeron has the edge possession-wise, but throughout their career Toews scores .1 PPG more. Ditto for playoff scoring.

Like I said, it's preference at the end of the day. Both Boston and Chicago decided to build their teams around Bergeron and Toews, respectively, and they were two of the most successful clubs in the past decade. There are obviously other factors at play but having that well-scoring two-way C to depend on has served them well.

Again, not trying to disparage what the guy brings, he's essential to that team. My point was that I simply don't put him in a top 5 NHL player place, or top 5 forward. I know this has been said for awhile, and they've managed to avoid the ramifications, but just seems like they may finally feel the crush of the cap implications when they're paying him over $10M.