• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chants of "fire wilson"

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One of the reasons Babcock is considering leaving Detroit is because he wants more say in what players are on the roster. With Wilson looking to step away from the GM position I wonder if he will try to convince Babcock to come to San Jose in a Coach/GM role. I've seen this talked abut in other places and just find it an interesting possibility.
Kind of what I was hoping for too, I'd imagine Toronto would offer the same thing

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As much as I dislike what wilson has done this past year it's hard to argue against his drafting record, roughly 50% of the guys he's drafted have made it to the nhl and stayed that's pretty impressive

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As much as I dislike what wilson has done this past year it's hard to argue against his drafting record, roughly 50% of the guys he's drafted have made it to the nhl and stayed that's pretty impressive

And he's made good trades too. My issue, and maybe its the ownership group tying his hands, is that he has NEVER signed an impact FA to add to the team.
I really like Wilson too, but he royally fucked up since the collapse vs the Kings.....and if he holds true to his word about not asking Marleau and Thornton to waive their NTC, then we have at least 2 more years of mediocrity.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is this I read that Wilson expects the Sharks to "trend up" next year? Did he clarify that they are going to trend up in the draft lottery? Is that what he meant?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And he's made good trades too. My issue, and maybe its the ownership group tying his hands, is that he has NEVER signed an impact FA to add to the team.
I really like Wilson too, but he royally fucked up since the collapse vs the Kings.....and if he holds true to his word about not asking Marleau and Thornton to waive their NTC, then we have at least 2 more years of mediocrity.
Ownership has never tied his hands,hes made huge offers to major impact UFA's they just chose to play elsewhere i know with Chara he made one of the biggest if not the biggest offer to him but Chara wanted to play in boston. He made a huge play for Neidermeyer too. Alot of impact UFA's dont want to play in san jose primarily due to cost of living and californias insane taxes, nothing to do with lack of fiscal effort

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So can we protest this bullshit at SAP or what? there needs to be thousands of people at SAP protesting this I feel Maybe you guys don't agree but some way some how it would be a dream to get this dbag to step down. And I feel like it comes down to us passionate fans to make it happen or it never will change

I choose to not spend any more money on the Sharks as my form of protest.

I've done my part for a long time. Now it's up to the Sharks to prove they are worth supporting.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ownership has never tied his hands,hes made huge offers to major impact UFA's they just chose to play elsewhere i know with Chara he made one of the biggest if not the biggest offer to him but Chara wanted to play in boston. He made a huge play for Neidermeyer too. Alot of impact UFA's dont want to play in san jose primarily due to cost of living and californias insane taxes, nothing to do with lack of fiscal effort

They did offer Chara and Nieds big deals, but those were pretty much the only ones.
Wilson always called it the "silly season"....and hardly ever went after anyone big, with the exceptions you mentioned.
The majority of time it comes down to $$ with free agents....nothing more. LA has had no problems signing guys, and the cost of living there is higher than here. I have a hard time believing players did not want to come to San Jose...the problem is the only time they went hard after a FA was a guy they could get at a low price.
I'm not saying you go all out in FA, but you need to at some point have an impact signing....especially when you are a team that was as good as the Sharks, and maybe that 1 really good player away from winning it all. That was my only fault with Wilson.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They did offer Chara and Nieds big deals, but those were pretty much the only ones.
Wilson always called it the "silly season"....and hardly ever went after anyone big, with the exceptions you mentioned.
The majority of time it comes down to $$ with free agents....nothing more. LA has had no problems signing guys, and the cost of living there is higher than here. I have a hard time believing players did not want to come to San Jose...the problem is the only time they went hard after a FA was a guy they could get at a low price.
I'm not saying you go all out in FA, but you need to at some point have an impact signing....especially when you are a team that was as good as the Sharks, and maybe that 1 really good player away from winning it all. That was my only fault with Wilson.
Um name one UFA of substance the kings have ever signed? I can't think of anyone Gaborik they acquired in trade

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Um name one UFA of substance the kings have ever signed? I can't think of anyone Gaborik they acquired in trade

LA has done alot of what the sharks did. trade for a guy, then resign him. Gabby was that. However, they have definitely gone for more outside the org that has been intelligent. Scuderi, Mitchell, williams, stoll, and others all played huge roles in their cup runs. They have also draft better even in the non-1st rounds rounds with guys like Voynov, martinez, toffoli, quick and others. However, Their deals for carter and richards were humongous, but they did them using draft choices that were in the top 5. Can't compare easily...

In terms of dougie's UFA record, it sucks. Aside from bad rentals, it is the worst part of his tenure. He is a master of dealing for top players (Jumbo, Boyle, heatley (which was great at the time), even Burns). He is a master at resigning his own guys usually for very reasonable figures. Even the deals to the big two are very reasonable. However, his UFA signings are attrocious. Scott, Burish, Brown, and several others were just crap. I think if he has able to bargain hunt wisely, he would have done much better. Finding guys like Rich Peverly or mason raymond would have been huge. these guys are paid next to nothing but fill key roles. Dougie has been awful in adding this way. Even if he doesnt land the chara, niedermeyer, parise, or suter of the world, he could have landed some key role players for good $$ but doesnt. Maybe manny malhotra is the one UFA that comes to mind that was a really good signing.

the top teams do know how to add strategically. Bad GM's really do fall into "silly season". Dougie's fear of silly season is so large that he fails to see the value in front of his face on many occasions.

of course he is pretty good at signing UFA's out of college and jrs. Desi, karlsson, and a few others fall into that category, so you gotta love those freebees.

I dunno about wilson. I like him, but at the end of the day, the final job hasnt come close. Tough call there...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LA has done alot of what the sharks did. trade for a guy, then resign him. Gabby was that. However, they have definitely gone for more outside the org that has been intelligent. Scuderi, Mitchell, williams, stoll, and others all played huge roles in their cup runs. They have also draft better even in the non-1st rounds rounds with guys like Voynov, martinez, toffoli, quick and others. However, Their deals for carter and richards were humongous, but they did them using draft choices that were in the top 5. Can't compare easily...

In terms of dougie's UFA record, it sucks. Aside from bad rentals, it is the worst part of his tenure. He is a master of dealing for top players (Jumbo, Boyle, heatley (which was great at the time), even Burns). He is a master at resigning his own guys usually for very reasonable figures. Even the deals to the big two are very reasonable. However, his UFA signings are attrocious. Scott, Burish, Brown, and several others were just crap. I think if he has able to bargain hunt wisely, he would have done much better. Finding guys like Rich Peverly or mason raymond would have been huge. these guys are paid next to nothing but fill key roles. Dougie has been awful in adding this way. Even if he doesnt land the chara, niedermeyer, parise, or suter of the world, he could have landed some key role players for good $$ but doesnt. Maybe manny malhotra is the one UFA that comes to mind that was a really good signing.

the top teams do know how to add strategically. Bad GM's really do fall into "silly season". Dougie's fear of silly season is so large that he fails to see the value in front of his face on many occasions.

of course he is pretty good at signing UFA's out of college and jrs. Desi, karlsson, and a few others fall into that category, so you gotta love those freebees.

I dunno about wilson. I like him, but at the end of the day, the final job hasnt come close. Tough call there...
I'm pretty sure both Williams and stoll were traded for. Williams for Tim Gleason from Carolina and stoll was like a 4th rounder or something like that. Willie Mitchell was a gamble that paid off, Scuderi was a high risk low reward signing

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm pretty sure both Williams and stoll were traded for. Williams for Tim Gleason from Carolina and stoll was like a 4th rounder or something like that. Willie Mitchell was a gamble that paid off, Scuderi was a high risk low reward signing

I'd have to go back and look, but I'm sure LA has signed someone better than Mike Grier or Scott Thornton. When those are pretty much the biggest FA signings in the history of your franchise, something is wrong.
And I'm not saying go crazy in FA...totally agree you win by building your team thru the draft. But every now and then you need to sign someone that will make an impact. Everyone points out each year how much cap room the Sharks have, and it never matters, because they aren't going to sign anyone. We get guys like John Scott and Adam Burish instead.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd have to go back and look, but I'm sure LA has signed someone better than Mike Grier or Scott Thornton. When those are pretty much the biggest FA signings in the history of your franchise, something is wrong.
And I'm not saying go crazy in FA...totally agree you win by building your team thru the draft. But every now and then you need to sign someone that will make an impact. Everyone points out each year how much cap room the Sharks have, and it never matters, because they aren't going to sign anyone. We get guys like John Scott and Adam Burish instead.
Grier was a trade with buffalo and Thornton also a trade lol because everyone was like wtf?!? Who's this guy? But that's back when the Sharks didn't spend to the cap either.

Sad to say but the biggest UFA signing was probably Jeff Norton and Rob Blake

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just emerged. Doug Wilson keeps his job.

Hasso_STHLetter2.jpg

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you completely remove emotion from it, it's a very sound idea and plan and it shows direction with an end goal. Smart business man is all I'm saying and that's a good sign to have in a owner

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like everyday more and more people are realizing about this shitty situation with our GM, and how is that going to work out for games/merchandise sales next season? At the same time, Hasso is trying to finalize a deal to stay in SJ? Is there a potential issue down the stretch here?

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the very least, it's nice that the CEO wrote us a letter indicating his stance and his talking points are reasonably stated even if I don't agree with them.

"Should we have traded for reinforcements and block the young hopefuls from from playing..."
I saw the exit interviews from the Sharks locker room. The young hopefuls are young but hardly hopeful and that's because the leaders on the ice gave up.

"We are trying to finalize with the city of San Jose a new arena deal keeping the Sharks at home."
So the Sharks moving to another city is officially on the table. Not a confidence builder for fans.

"...we got the organization streamlined and focused on hockey."
Believed when seen.

The firing of coach McLellan (make no mistake, he was fired) is the move that made the least sense because he wasn't the problem. Doug Wilson is the problem in the front office and Marleau and Thornton are the problems on the ice because of their bad attitudes. The Thornton/Wilson rift isn't going to close anytime soon and they're both going to bring their dysfunction to the ice next season. It wont be a rebuild until those 3 are gone, a day that cant come too soon.

I'm quickly losing patience with this franchise. Our team is becoming the Warriors of the 90's. The Sharks are a team that doesn't try and that is completely unacceptable.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'll give them until the end of the summer to pass final judgment. Keeping dougie is not so bad as long as this summer is a smart one. However, if the team is basically the same as it was at the end of the year, I'll be devastated. If the big two are still here, I will be crushed. However, I wonder if a big move is not coming. Yes, the tone of the letter is one of "stick to the plan" which implies little major change, but at the same time, who knows? I didnt love the line "the older players are still committed" since that clearly implies they are staying, but we'll see...