• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFP will release polls weekly on Tuesdays

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, of course, but they are meaningless

They will still be handing out their own nc trophy, per usual The cfp panel will be influenced heavily by them to avoid a split. And the obviousness gets amplified by the fact that they will wait until tuesday, if so.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will still be handing out their own nc trophy, per usual The cfp panel will be influenced heavily by them to avoid a split. And the obviousness gets amplified by the fact that they will wait until tuesday, if so.

There is only one trophy that matters now.

The Dr Pepper CFB Playoff Trophy.

The AP has been and remains meaningless for nearly a decade as it hasn't counted towards the BCS since then and won't count towards the CFB Playoff.

The second part is merely a guess or wishful thinking that this committee is releasing their poll on Tuesday to closely mirror the AP and Coaches poll.

It is being released Tuesday as a prime time tv show on ESPN to avoid.....

1. Sunday NFL games (as the ratings for BCS Countdown were killed by the NFL)

2. Monday Night Football

So Tuesday it is. This is why it is released Tuesday... ^^^

Last edited by a moderator:

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ap trophy has still been a big deal. Thats why its a hot topic just about every year the bcs is about to screw up. Its just as meaningful as ever. Youll see if and when it ever disagrees with cfp. Odds are slim, tho.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is only one trophy that matters now.

The Dr Pepper CFB Playoff Trophy.

The AP has been and remains meaningless for nearly a decade as it hasn't counted towards the BCS since then and won't count towards the CFB Playoff.

The second part is merely a guess or wishful thinking that this committee is releasing their poll on Tuesday to closely mirror the AP and Coaches poll.

It is being released Tuesday as a prime time tv show on ESPN to avoid.....

1. Sunday NFL games (as the ratings for BCS Countdown were killed by the NFL)

2. Monday Night Football

So Tuesday it is. This is why it is released Tuesday... ^^^
Lol. Where you get those facts?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully this means the committee will be spending sunday-tuesday watching games they didn't catch on Saturday. I doubt it though

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it matter? All what really matters is who gets "picked" to play for a National Championship.

The real news is that the committee is going to turn in their top 6 unranked beforehand, and the 6 teams with the most voters becomes the finalist list.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully this means the committee will be spending sunday-tuesday watching games they didn't catch on Saturday. I doubt it though

Jeff Long (CFP Chair) is on record of saying as much.

I sure hope so.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long will also be the guy on the Tuesday tv show discussing why they did what they did.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it matter? All what really matters is who gets "picked" to play for a National Championship.

The real news is that the committee is going to turn in their top 6 unranked beforehand, and the 6 teams with the most voters becomes the finalist list.

Word.

And 103 teams already know, they have no shot in hell of making the cut. I know mine won't ever sniff a playoff game, I'm just hoping they continue to win +8 per, beat Clemson, and get to some decent bowl game.

The only thing rankings ever do for my team is maybe get them on prime time TV, so I can watch them.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, it matters to me for a couple of reasons. With the BCS, even prior to it's release, we had some idea of who would be ranked where because 1/3 of the poll came from the coaches poll.

Now, until nearly November, we have no real idea what is on the committee's minds.

I am ultimately hoping for a little bit of transparency.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word.

And 103 teams already know, they have no shot in hell of making the cut. I know mine won't ever sniff a playoff game, I'm just hoping they continue to win +8 per, beat Clemson, and get to some decent bowl game.

The only thing rankings ever do for my team is maybe get them on prime time TV, so I can watch them.

I know mine won't sniff one either as we are the South Carolina of the Big Ten.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MSU woulda been in just this past season.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MSU woulda been in just this past season.

Could definitely see them putting Stanford ahead of MSU with Stanford beating the only team Michigan State lost to. Plus with the media and everyone hating the Big Ten.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it matters to me for a couple of reasons. With the BCS, even prior to it's release, we had some idea of who would be ranked where because 1/3 of the poll came from the coaches poll.

Now, until nearly November, we have no real idea what is on the committee's minds.

I am ultimately hoping for a little bit of transparency.

Why top 25? Only 12 goes to the "relevant" bowls. Wouldn't it be better where teams stand in the top 12 or top 16?

Why does polling results in October and for most of November really matter? The more relevant games get played week 13 and 14, and lets face it, the committee is going to re-vote, when it comes to choosing the participates for the Cotton, Peach, Fiesta, Sugar, Rose, and Orange Bowls.

If college football really wanted to be transparent, they would release the ballot results, and require every committee member to defend their picks and explain why certain teams on the bubble didn't get in. That would be real transparency.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why top 25? Only 12 goes to the "relevant" bowls. Wouldn't it be better where teams stand in the top 12 or top 16?

I have no idea. It confuses me. Maybe they want to show us teams they have "on the bubble" with potential of being one of the 12 teams. Like the BCS has a top 25. Same thing maybe.
Why does polling results in October and for most of November really matter? The more relevant games get played week 13 and 14, and lets face it, the committee is going to re-vote, when it comes to choosing the participates for the Cotton, Peach, Fiesta, Sugar, Rose, and Orange Bowls.
Well a majority of CFB talk throughout the season surrounds rankings. Now, I am sure people will still be talking rankings like in seasons past, but now, they will be debating 2 polls that have zero significance. A whole lotta what ifs and I think it will be....

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If college football really wanted to be transparent, they would release the ballot results, and require every committee member to defend their picks and explain why certain teams on the bubble didn't get in. That would be real transparency.

There will never be real transparency with any system. We didn't have it in the BCS or the NCAA tourney. Even if there was "real transparency" people would whine and cry over whatever reason was given on why their team wasn't selected over another. Last year Stanford fans would cry over the fact that they beat Notre Dame and Michigan State lost to them so they should be in the playoff over MSU, and completely overlook the fact that they had two losses. A case like the rematch for Alabama. Bama fans were crying over who Oklahoma State lost to, while OkSU fans were crying over playing the harder schedule and that Bama already had their chance, at home and couldn't get the job done.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will never be real transparency with any system. We didn't have it in the BCS or the NCAA tourney. Even if there was "real transparency" people would whine and cry over whatever reason was given on why their team wasn't selected over another. Last year Stanford fans would cry over the fact that they beat Notre Dame and Michigan State lost to them so they should be in the playoff over MSU, and completely overlook the fact that they had two losses. A case like the rematch for Alabama. Bama fans were crying over who Oklahoma State lost to, while OkSU fans were crying over playing the harder schedule and that Bama already had their chance, at home and couldn't get the job done.

In 2013, I would have picked both Michigan State and Stanford to join Florida State and Auburn. I am a big believer in conference championship status, and think Stanford's ultra tough schedule overrides the fact they lost twice and to 5-7 Utah. I would have not put in Alabama. The Tide didn't even make it to their conference championship game and avoided both Missouri and South Carolina. Putting in Alabama would also be gravely unfair to Missouri, seeing as how they played a tougher schedule and actually won their division.

It's indeed impossible to please everybody, and no playoff plan should be thinking "Well if we do this, then Team X would whine." You essentially would simply be moving the complaint, and would ignore the concept that all playoff systems are flawed. The best you can do is to setup a system where everybody gets a shot and you install some level of objectivity. Making the voting process transparent and drilling down specifically what you want out of a National Championship team, should be first priority. One also has to realize that leaving things up to subjective/opinion hands means conference bias, team bias, player/coach bias, location of bowl games, and team history creep into the equation. It's something inherit within any subjective system.