• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFP Poll

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. By expanding to 16 you will have all conference winners, an independent spot if deserving, as well as spots for teams that didn't win conference championship but just as well had good seasons and their record deserving of a spot.

I don't understand how you can feel that way when the AFL/NFL has had no problem doing it for what, 75-80 years now? Granted, it doesn't have 120 teams, but this is why you have conferences. It's the best solution possible for the circumstances, otherwise, just what do you think is a solution? You surely can't be advocating for a beauty contest in the Polls?

Anytime you make a choice based on opinion it's subjective. Human beings have biases and schemas, to pretend otherwise is to ignore reality. This committee has biases and schemas and they will bleed into these 'rankings'. I'm sorry but if anyone expects me to believe that Condoleeza Rice knows more about football than me, I challenge her to a football knowledge duel!

The point is simply, remove the human component, let the teams decide it on the field. It's certainly much more palatable to say, oh you're around the 17th best team and didn't make it in, do better next year?! Much better than to say, oh you have just as good a record as the 4th/5th team but arguably a weaker schedule, or you didn't have as convincing a win(s) as this team did etc... is not nearly as palatable.

Do you ever see the NFL analysts saying, oh I think team X should make the playoffs because they beat the defending champs or last year's division winner, etc? Nope. Your record and tie-breakers make the case, nothing more nothing less. The same way it should be in any sport that has record as a barometer of a team as compared to another.

The NFL has only 32 teams, and the teams are pretty even. College football currently has 128 FBS teams lone, and the difference between teams varies greatly.

It's just not the same thing. And that is the reason I don't even watch NFL very much.

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I am sure of is there will be 2 SEC teams in the playoffs and they will be seeded 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 so that there will be a possibility for a all SEC championship. Beyond that we have to hope for one of the 2 remaining spots and the teams above us have the benefit of conference championships which will be hard to overcome. We still have hope, but I think our chances are very slim. I think the decision was already made to have conference champs in there and the only way ND ever will have a chance is to go undefeated.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they keep this type of committee it will force ND to join a conference or force ND to be like other schools and have 1-2 FCS schools on their schedule. Play 1-2 very good teams, 2 FCS schools and 8 so so schools.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I am sure of is there will be 2 SEC teams in the playoffs and they will be seeded 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 so that there will be a possibility for a all SEC championship. Beyond that we have to hope for one of the 2 remaining spots and the teams above us have the benefit of conference championships which will be hard to overcome. We still have hope, but I think our chances are very slim. I think the decision was already made to have conference champs in there and the only way ND ever will have a chance is to go undefeated.

I agree they are slim now. Its going to take a lot now. 1 thing that can turn it around is a blow out win against ASU and ASU wins out. This would give us a blow out win against the Pac 12 champ. Also Stanford beating Oregon would be nice.

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they keep this type of committee it will force ND to join a conference or force ND to be like other schools and have 1-2 FCS schools on their schedule. Play 1-2 very good teams, 2 FCS schools and 8 so so schools.

If ND wants to go to the NC then ND will need to adapt.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL has only 32 teams, and the teams are pretty even. College football currently has 128 FBS teams lone, and the difference between teams varies greatly.

It's just not the same thing. And that is the reason I don't even watch NFL very much.

That's not much for a reason, I already explained how that can be accomplished and you've not provided one suggestion that is a better solution.

BCS was not a solution because you're excluding teams that MAY be #1. Likewise in this committee, they'll be doing the same thing. With 16 teams you have the best of best in the country and the kids determine it on the field, not YOU as a committee member having a hand in deciding which of the top ten make the 4th and 3rd teams... 1 and 2 will be fairly obvious, it's 3 and 4 that'll be a bit muddy.

Why is having the 15th and 16th seeded team, who may bump a team out who's around 20-15 worse than possibly not including a host of very good 1 loss teams that will be hovering in the top 10-5 range and even maybe as far out as 15-20? I don't get the logic, please someone explain.

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree they are slim now. Its going to take a lot now. 1 thing that can turn it around is a blow out win against ASU and ASU wins out. This would give us a blow out win against the Pac 12 champ. Also Stanford beating Oregon would be nice.

It would help, but FSU, Mich St, and TCU/KSU are still a problem. Not only that but no matter what, I think the committee would find a way to keep ND out. They sent a message with their first ranking.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree they might have to adapt. Stop playing top teams and schedule FCS schools.

Im just pissed about MSU being ahead of us. Right there it shows that this committee has no clue.
MSU beat Mich 35-11
ND beat Mich 31-0
MSU beat Purdue 45-31
ND beat Purdue 30-14
Mich St worst Loss: Blow out @ Oregon
ND worst Loss: Close loss @ FSU(bad/so so call at end of game)
Mich St Best win Nebraska(so so team) 22-19
ND best Win Stanford: 17-14(Not a great Stanford team.

Overall just by this its easy to see ND is better then Mich st. also throw in that Mich st played Jacksonville st, E. Mich and Wyoming

Just a joke.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This won't be fixed until they get a Committee that isn't biased and people who currently work for universities that are involved in the the playoff system. Here are some names of the Committee

Jeff Long, Arkansas athletic director (chairman)
Barry Alvarez, Wisconsin athletic director
Lt. Gen. Mike Gould (Ret.), former superintendent of the U.S. Air Force Academy
Pat Haden, USC athletic director and played at USC
Tom Jernstedt, former NCAA executive vice president and played at Oregon
Oliver Luck, West Virginia athletic director
Tom Osborne, former Nebraska coach and athletic director
Dan Radakovich, Clemson athletic director
Condoleezza Rice, Stanford professor and former U.S. Secretary of State
Mike Tranghese, former Big East Conference commissioner
Steve Wieberg, former USA Today college football reporter
Tyrone Willingham, former Stanford, Notre Dame and Washington coach and grad from MSU.

ND had no chance. Just look at that info.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not much for a reason, I already explained how that can be accomplished and you've not provided one suggestion that is a better solution.

BCS was not a solution because you're excluding teams that MAY be #1. Likewise in this committee, they'll be doing the same thing. With 16 teams you have the best of best in the country and the kids determine it on the field, not YOU as a committee member having a hand in deciding which of the top ten make the 4th and 3rd teams... 1 and 2 will be fairly obvious, it's 3 and 4 that'll be a bit muddy.

Why is having the 15th and 16th seeded team, who may bump a team out who's around 20-15 worse than possibly not including a host of very good 1 loss teams that will be hovering in the top 10-5 range and even maybe as far out as 15-20? I don't get the logic, please someone explain.

You don't need 16 teams. Never in the history of CFB has there even been 16 teams that could say - we should be considered to be the best team.

Most years 2 is all there is. Occasionally there are 3. Which the current format of 4 handle.

But now people are crying 4 isn't enough, because 10 teams think they have a claim on #4. And when you get to 16 people are just going to be crying even more because they think their 8-4 team deserves to be #16 and that other team that did get in only got in because of bias in the media, blah blah blah.

The same crap happened to NCAA basketball and even now with 64 teams - it's somehow not enough. And now with the NCAA, the regular season doesn't even mean that much any more, it's the tourney everyone watches.

It solves absolutely nothing. On top of which, you kill any incentive at all for teams to be in good conferences with conference champions because it means you have a harder road. And then since being conference champions is all that matters - no reason to play cross conference quality games. Good bye good season games that will FAR outnumber the playoff games.

It's terrible and it's not college football where every game matters. You want to kill everything that makes college football what it is, and turn it into NFL light. Screw that.

And why? All because fans want their team to have a chance, and if they actually deserve it doesn't mean a damn thing. Lets just jump to the end, given everyone participation trophies that says everyone is equal and we can sit around and drink beer talking about when college football was great while the kids of tomorrow won't have a clue. It'll be worth more that way.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already sent an email to the Rankings sight asking them how they're going to account for their committee's inherent biases and/or schemas. I doubt I'll get a response but I don't give a shit, you call a spade a spade because that's what it is.

It's high time to take the subjective out of it to the highest degree possible. 16 team playoff, sorry if you don't make it in, it's much better than being ranked #4 and not getting into a playoff because someone on the committee 'feels' differently about data. Take the BS out of the equation, you're left with Wins and Losses, nothing more and nothing less. I don't give a fuck how the Irish played against a common opponent. They both don't have the same personnel, each game is a mutually exclusive event, you have a ton of variables that can affect any given game (injuries, turnovers, a fluke play, etc). This is why the Pro model is the PRO model. It removes the hyperbole and the bias and leaves you with the only thing you really need to OBJECTIVELY measure two teams against one another; their record.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already sent an email to the Rankings sight asking them how they're going to account for their committee's inherent biases and/or schemas. I doubt I'll get a response but I don't give a shit, you call a spade a spade because that's what it is.

It's high time to take the subjective out of it to the highest degree possible. 16 team playoff, sorry if you don't make it in, it's much better than being ranked #4 and not getting into a playoff because someone on the committee 'feels' differently about data. Take the BS out of the equation, you're left with Wins and Losses, nothing more and nothing less. I don't give a fuck how the Irish played against a common opponent. They both don't have the same personnel, each game is a mutually exclusive event, you have a ton of variables that can affect any given game (injuries, turnovers, a fluke play, etc). This is why the Pro model is the PRO model. It removes the hyperbole and the bias and leaves you with the only thing you really need to OBJECTIVELY measure two teams against one another; their record.

I think the lack of response will signify that college football doesn't give a shit what your opinion on it is.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to make it public. I would really like to see where Ty and Haden had us. I don't get how we can be 6th in the AP and 7th Coaches(among our peers) and some how get whacked the most in this new poll and some how Ol Miss gets this big jump and how MSU is getting some respect while we beat 2 teams that we both played better then them and we lost to defending champs on a last play and they get blown out. Makes no sense.

U know what have the Avg of all 3 to be the new rankings. I can at least live with that.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the lack of response will signify that college football doesn't give a shit what your opinion on it is.

It will show that College football doesn't give a crap about college football. Have the transcript public or vote or whatever way they made the decision.

When there is so much bias on a committee they need show why they made these decisions. If votes are public to elect our president no reason for this to be a secrete.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will show that College football doesn't give a crap about college football. Have the transcript public or vote or whatever way they made the decision.

When there is so much bias on a committee they need show why they made these decisions. If votes are public to elect our president no reason for this to be a secrete.

Oh yeah, because you heard a rumor which likely isn't even remotely from a legit source. :rollseyes:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, because you heard a rumor which likely isn't even remotely from a legit source. :rollseyes:

I never said I believe the rumor. Was just posting what Im hearing. Im still right that they need to make it public. Its makes the committee look bad that they won't make it public. Its common sense.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If FSU lost to us do you think they would be 10th. No way in hell.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said I believe the rumor. Was just posting what Im hearing. Im still right that they need to make it public. Its makes the committee look bad that they won't make it public. Its common sense.

I just wanted to use the BCS formula and never liked the committee. The thing with polls is you need more people involved to get out the bias. Making the votes public isn't going to change anything.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If FSU lost to us do you think they would be 10th. No way in hell.

No, they would be much lower. They don't have near the SoS that you guys do. In fact, with the games you have left - I'm not even sure why you guys are so upset.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they would be much lower. They don't have near the SoS that you guys do. In fact, with the games you have left - I'm not even sure why you guys are so upset.

The reason we are upset is because now their is a very good chance that winning out won't get Notre Dame to the 4th spot, if they had been ranked 6th or 7th like they are in the other poles winning out would easily get them in because the SEC West is going to eliminate 3 of the teams ahead of them or about that many putting Notre Dame much closer to in the playoff than out. Now If TCU/Kansas State or Michigan State win out Notre Dame won't get in.