• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFP Poll

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think this years team is paying for past teams not looking good on the big stage. I read some where a guy talking about Notre Dame pretty much having the same team and coaches as the 2012 team and that isn't factual at all most of the starters from that team are gone and the Offensive and Defensive coordinators are new as well. At the end of the day this is a better team than 2012 and these guys are paying the price from that game.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think this years team is paying for past teams not looking good on the big stage. I read some where a guy talking about Notre Dame pretty much having the same team and coaches as the 2012 team and that isn't factual at all most of the starters from that team are gone and the Offensive and Defensive coordinators are new as well. At the end of the day this is a better team than 2012 and these guys are paying the price from that game.

That was two years ago so it is ridiculous. Nobody is talking about how LSU got butt stomped by Alabama a year prior. Hell, LSU didn't pass the 50 yard line in that game.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just win out. Thats all ND can do. Its bull crap just like the FSU call but there is nothing ND or us fans can do.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad we have an Alabama fan on here that doesn't spew ND hatred and brings something positive to the conversation. This forum is so much better than espn.
:suds:

Although to be 100% honest, I don't very often pull for you guys to win. :lol:

I don't figure it's much different the other way either.

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the SEC, but I don't mind you coming here talking football.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the SEC, but I don't mind you coming here talking football.

I know a lot of fans hate the SEC, but for me it's the Mountain West. I hate those bastards.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I hate the SEC but only because I'm tired of watching them win. They are great I think they get the benefit of the doubt more often than not but someone needs to prove otherwise for that to change. My biggest gripe is the preseason love some SEC teams get that makes wins look better than they might actually be South Carolina, Texas A&M and LSU come to mind. I do think LSU are a good team but not a top 10 team at least not early in the season. Which is the issue I have with the selection committee, Mississippi State gets credit for beating 3 top 10 teams when only one was and still is a top 10 team and the other two were or are unranked for a time. Then Notre Dame gets no credit for beating a Stanford team that has lost to two top 15 teams in Arizona State and Notre Dame plus USC who were ranked and themselves having two losses to ranked teams (BC was a disgrace but I still enjoyed it). Like I've been saying though Notre Dame will have an up hill climb with Haden and Willingham on the committee.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I hate the SEC but only because I'm tired of watching them win. They are great I think they get the benefit of the doubt more often than not but someone needs to prove otherwise for that to change. My biggest gripe is the preseason love some SEC teams get that makes wins look better than they might actually be South Carolina, Texas A&M and LSU come to mind. I do think LSU are a good team but not a top 10 team at least not early in the season. Which is the issue I have with the selection committee, Mississippi State gets credit for beating 3 top 10 teams when only one was and still is a top 10 team and the other two were or are unranked for a time. Then Notre Dame gets no credit for beating a Stanford team that has lost to two top 15 teams in Arizona State and Notre Dame plus USC who were ranked and themselves having two losses to ranked teams (BC was a disgrace but I still enjoyed it). Like I've been saying though Notre Dame will have an up hill climb with Haden and Willingham on the committee.

Its not so much that I am tired of watching them win, the ones that do the winning have earned it. My problem is the "shared success" mentality, which has had an after-effect on the polls and has given a great many teams that don't necessarily deserve it, the benefit of the doubt. When we talk about SEC dominance, we are really talking about Alabama, and for a while, Florida. When everyone talks about the streak of SEC BCS titles, 5 of them were owned by two teams. Auburn had their Cam Newton year, yes they got there last year too, on two incredibly lucky plays. LSU hasn't reached the summit since Saban left, although they were in the conversation at least, Georgia has had some good teams, but no SEC titles and no NC titles. Their NC title drought is far longer than ours, and yet I get to heare UGA fans run their gums about the greatness of their team and how we are living on past glory. Its the moonglow effect that bothers me the most, and now its Ole Miss and Miss. St.'s turn at the top, unless they get knocked off, but those are two programs that maybe once a decade emerge from obscurity to make noise, and they are treated like royalty.

And S. Carolina had no business being ranked where it was pre-season, that made A & M's blowout of them the smokescreen that it is.

We, on the other hand, are still getting punished for the NC game in 2012. Its a bit ironic that so many non-SEC fans, who aren't necessarily ND fans, are complaining about the "benefit of the doubt" that the conference top to bottom gets. That for many, many years was the criticsim of ND, that, based on its past success, it gets the benefit of the doubt. I think that ship sailed a few years ago, and should be painfully obvious to everyone now that its gone. But that same "benefit of the doubt" argument that's been used against us, should also apply to the SEC. But they will continue to get it from polls, the media, and playoff committees until it stops winning the big games, especially inter-conference games.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Les Miles did win one at LSU I believe. I pretty much agree with what you said we basically have the same issue but I am also tired of watching them win which is why I was rooting for FSU (hardly any better).

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its kind of crazy that if it wasn't for the bowl ban Notre Dame would have played Ohio State in the National Championship game in 2012 and not Alabama. Can you imagine what kind of shit storm would happened if no SEC team in the championship game?

matthstl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love SEC fans talking about how ND got beat in NC in 2012. You hear nothing about Alabama beating LSU 21-0 in National Championship game in 2011. This same game where LSU offense never cross the 50 yard line. You can argue that LSU loss was worse than ND. At least ND scored and at times did move the ball downfield.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love SEC fans talking about how ND got beat in NC in 2012. You hear nothing about Alabama beating LSU 21-0 in National Championship game in 2011. This same game where LSU offense never cross the 50 yard line. You can argue that LSU loss was worse than ND. At least ND scored and at times did move the ball downfield.

True. Lets be honest, there was no stopping their offense that night. There was nothing we could do, they were killing us up front, and NOBODY was tackling when they did have a chance to make plays. But I thought if we could score on one of our first few possessions, they might be able to keep it close. There was, in my mind, that questionable no-catch call on Eifert, that killed that drive. First drive of the second half, we were moving until Golson got picked off.

People say, well, Bama stopped playing after they were up. Well, the players interviewed after the game would disagree with that. A lot of their defenders were saying they were playing for the shutout and were not happy we scored.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not so much that I am tired of watching them win, the ones that do the winning have earned it. My problem is the "shared success" mentality, which has had an after-effect on the polls and has given a great many teams that don't necessarily deserve it, the benefit of the doubt. When we talk about SEC dominance, we are really talking about Alabama, and for a while, Florida. When everyone talks about the streak of SEC BCS titles, 5 of them were owned by two teams. Auburn had their Cam Newton year, yes they got there last year too, on two incredibly lucky plays. LSU hasn't reached the summit since Saban left, although they were in the conversation at least, Georgia has had some good teams, but no SEC titles and no NC titles. Their NC title drought is far longer than ours, and yet I get to heare UGA fans run their gums about the greatness of their team and how we are living on past glory. Its the moonglow effect that bothers me the most, and now its Ole Miss and Miss. St.'s turn at the top, unless they get knocked off, but those are two programs that maybe once a decade emerge from obscurity to make noise, and they are treated like royalty.

And S. Carolina had no business being ranked where it was pre-season, that made A & M's blowout of them the smokescreen that it is.

We, on the other hand, are still getting punished for the NC game in 2012. Its a bit ironic that so many non-SEC fans, who aren't necessarily ND fans, are complaining about the "benefit of the doubt" that the conference top to bottom gets. That for many, many years was the criticsim of ND, that, based on its past success, it gets the benefit of the doubt. I think that ship sailed a few years ago, and should be painfully obvious to everyone now that its gone. But that same "benefit of the doubt" argument that's been used against us, should also apply to the SEC. But they will continue to get it from polls, the media, and playoff committees until it stops winning the big games, especially inter-conference games.

The "Shared success" mostly comes in response to people from other conferences/teams who on the whole always address things as "SEC this" and "SEC that". If you get among SEC only fans, you'll see quite a different picture.

I get accused of "Team SEC" on these forums for defending against the crazy things people claim. But I had never in my life said "SEC SEC SEC" and never engaged in such things elsewhere. I'm more accustomed to being around SEC fans, and we just give each other shit constantly.

It's weird. But the "anti-SEC" drives that stuff more than anything.

As for punishing Notre Dame - I don't think that is the case.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, we talk about LSU about 100 times more than Notre Dame. But most people out of conference see things as "SEC" and that is why you probably see it more(not to mention you are a ND fan).

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "Shared success" mostly comes in response to people from other conferences/teams who on the whole always address things as "SEC this" and "SEC that". If you get among SEC only fans, you'll see quite a different picture.

I get accused of "Team SEC" on these forums for defending against the crazy things people claim. But I had never in my life said "SEC SEC SEC" and never engaged in such things elsewhere. I'm more accustomed to being around SEC fans, and we just give each other shit constantly.

It's weird. But the "anti-SEC" drives that stuff more than anything.

As for punishing Notre Dame - I don't think that is the case.

I do.

No matter which way you slice it, the committee is still human, and in the back of their mind is the constant blow-out losses ND has suffered in the BCS games. And most recently, having our shit pushed in, in the National Championship game.

At the end of the day, the committee is made up of humans, and it's impossible to forget about Notre Dame's showings on the big stage, in the last 14 years or so.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do.

No matter which way you slice it, the committee is still human, and in the back of their mind is the constant blow-out losses ND has suffered in the BCS games. And most recently, having our shit pushed in, in the National Championship game.

At the end of the day, the committee is made up of humans, and it's impossible to forget about Notre Dame's showings on the big stage, in the last 14 years or so.

Just making it to the game says more than losing it. I think the problem with Notre Dame was the drop off the next season.

Of course, as an Alabama fan I'd love to say we beat ND so bad they can't even get ranked anymore, but honestly - I really don't believe it to be true.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Les Miles did win one at LSU I believe. I pretty much agree with what you said we basically have the same issue but I am also tired of watching them win which is why I was rooting for FSU (hardly any better).

Miles won one in 2007, the last bit of Saban's recruits. :whistle:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just making it to the game says more than losing it. I think the problem with Notre Dame was the drop off the next season.

Of course, as an Alabama fan I'd love to say we beat ND so bad they can't even get ranked anymore, but honestly - I really don't believe it to be true.

What did you expect when we went from Golson to Tommy Rees for a season? If Golson was on that team last year they're a 10 or 11 win team and make a BCS game.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did you expect when we went from Golson to Tommy Rees for a season? If Golson was on that team last year they're a 10 or 11 win team and make a BCS game.

We win 10 games at the most last season, with Golson at QB.

Golson is a turnover machine just like Rees. Not to mention, our defense was a step below last season with a boring and repetitive scheme. The team as a whole is much better this season, from the defense/VanGorder to the QB and Folston coming into his own. A lot more team speed as well

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame is mentioned positively in this:

Phil Steele, CFB - ESPN

Also, a little SEC reality for BKS and the "bias". But no mention of 2012 holding Notre Dame back.