• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CC Sucks

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is (arguably) supposed to be a pitching-dominated era of baseball, going back at least 3 or 4 years. But, staff aces are getting pounded this year more than in any previous year I can remember. It isnt just Sabathia. Weaver, Verlander, Felix, Dickey, Dumpster, Price, Linecum, Hamels, Cain, Kennedy, Haren, Hudson, Gallardo...WTF?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is (arguably) supposed to be a pitching-dominated era of baseball, going back at least 3 or 4 years. But, staff aces are getting pounded this year more than in any previous year I can remember. It isnt just Sabathia. Weaver, Verlander, Felix, Dickey, Dumpster, Price, Linecum, Hamels, Cain, Kennedy, Haren, Hudson, Gallardo...WTF?

Dumpster, Haren, Hudson, and Gallardo hardly qualify as aces. However, I do agree CC hasn't been an ace the last two or three years.

I have no idea what is going on with the other guys. Everyone of course is prone to a rough stretch, but seriously wtf is going on?

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumpster, Haren, Hudson, and Gallardo hardly qualify as aces.

'Ace' is an abused word as it applies to baseball. Technically, every staff has an ace, but more often than not, they don't measure up to what we expect from an ace.

Haren was an ace from 2005-2011, at least in my opinion he was. He was easily comparable to Cain in those years.

Dickey, in reality, pitched like an ace for one year out of eleven. So, the odds are better that last year was an anomaly rather than this year. Same can be said for Kennedy - at this point he is just a one-hit wonder.

I was never sold on Dempster, but he's pitched in high profile markets which tends to exaggerate his ability in the eyes of the media.

Lincecum's decline started last year.

Hudson is a stretch. has never really had the stats but is pretty good at winning. Eight seasons of 15+ wins. Not too many active pitchers can say that. Wins, theoretically, are a 'team stat' but still some pitchers seem to have more of a knack for it than others.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

word, self

CC sucks

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Ace' is an abused word as it applies to baseball. Technically, every staff has an ace, but more often than not, they don't measure up to what we expect from an ace.

Haren was an ace from 2005-2011, at least in my opinion he was. He was easily comparable to Cain in those years.

Dickey, in reality, pitched like an ace for one year out of eleven. So, the odds are better that last year was an anomaly rather than this year. Same can be said for Kennedy - at this point he is just a one-hit wonder.

I was never sold on Dempster, but he's pitched in high profile markets which tends to exaggerate his ability in the eyes of the media.

Hudson is a stretch. has never really had the stats but is pretty good at winning. Eight seasons of 15+ wins. Not too many active pitchers can say that. Wins, theoretically, are a 'team stat' but still some pitchers seem to have more of a knack for it than others.

Pitching wins is the last thing I look at when evaluating a pitcher. Lee was 0-6 at one point last year despite pitching really well. It's a meaningless stat with all things considered.

Zig

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the pride and honor of wearing the pinstripes seems to be wearing off. He's also gaining weight and losing velocity.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Cobb, on the other hand, looks pretty good.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitching wins is the last thing I look at when evaluating a pitcher. Lee was 0-6 at one point last year despite pitching really well. It's a meaningless stat with all things considered.

Yeah, I'm not big on W/L records either when it comes to pitchers. Huddy's a really good pitcher (3.45 career ERA) and great guy to have on your team but I wouldn't consider him an ace either. Beachy was the Braves ace til he went on the DL, hopefully he'll keep it up when he returns next month.

Lambeau Leap

Master of the Yuniverse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An exaggeration to say that he sucks, but he certainly isn't the pitcher he once was.

An awful lot of mileage on that left arm of his.....

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I also agree with your overall assessment of "aces". There's only a handful of guys I'd consider true bonafide aces. Some are getting hit hard lately.

Kershaw, Cain, Hamels, Wainright, Hernandez, Verlander, Price, Darvish (I believe he's an ace, but need to see how he finishes the season.

Fringe guys include: Cueto, Latos, Greinke, Lee, Gonzalez, Strasburg, Shields, Weaver... Probably forgetting some.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL Nobody is an ace besides Felix, Verlander, Weaver, Price, Hamels and Maybe Sabathia. Dempster is a bum btw

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also agree with your overall assessment of "aces". There's only a handful of guys I'd consider true bonafide aces. Some are getting hit hard lately.

Kershaw, Cain, Hamels, Wainright, Hernandez, Verlander, Price, Darvish (I believe he's an ace, but need to see how he finishes the season.

Fringe guys include: Cueto, Latos, Greinke, Lee, Gonzalez, Strasburg, Shields, Weaver... Probably forgetting some.

I think Strasburg, Lee, and Weaver are aces. I might consider Gio in that discussion too.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You could say Samardzija is, well, on the fringe of being a fringe guy. :)

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the Way Romeo is right on Wins being Overrated and a meaningless stat unless you play fantasy baseball lol

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Strasburg, Lee, and Weaver are aces. I might consider Gio in that discussion too.

All those guys you mentioned are fringe aces to me. Two have had declining peripherals for the last couple years. I think the two bats pitchers are on the verge of breaking through to being bonafide aces, but Strasburg needs to mature more.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could say Samardzija is, well, on the fringe of being a fringe guy. :)

Eh, maybe. We'll see how he does once things heat up a bit. Wriggles is a pitchers dream in the early season.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those guys you mentioned are fringe aces to me. Two have had declining peripherals for the last couple years. I think the two bats pitchers are on the verge of breaking through to being bonafide aces, but Strasburg needs to mature more.

I think you can consider Strasburg there because he's been in the League as long as Darvish

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can consider Strasburg there because he's been in the League as long as Darvish

Darvish has shown himself to be more polished than Strasburg and has consistently pitched deeper into games than Strasburg.