• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Castillo to the Mariners for 4 Prospects

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is prob not right.....a guy with a 921..ops..does not get drafted...indiana..is in the big 12

all im saying is thats top compation

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thisguy..was drafted...
Joshua DayMissouriSS.340.435.508.94350197506710172914204792

but not this one.......all im sayin is his numbers...say...he should be........
Phillip GlasserIndianaSS.346.442.479.9214718843651223257273061

yeah thats all..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners lineup...soon

crawfard...ss left
julio.,..........cf
Frazier........2b..left
france...........1b
haniger...........rf
Winkler,..........lf..left
lewis..... ........dh
Suarez...........3b
raleigh.........catch

Torrens
Moore
Haggerty
toro
santana
.could they use a left handed...marte
Maybe..some say drury..right handed though..

I would guess.

M arte
can heplay 3b....prob

..he has been playing
center...but I would..guess..he could left better....than center....

Last edited:

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with this. The M's org has zero clue how to cultivate talent, and the big win streak that got us into possible contention for the 3rd wilcard spot doesn't change that....and don't talk to me about JRod who is an anomaly and a fucking freak of nature.

You guys have any left over trash cans and video cameras you can send us so we can cultivate our talent?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we will see how we finish the rest of the season if we are trying to make the playoffs we would need to add another pitcher to the rotation. The reason we are where we are is really because our rotation did not have any major injuries and did an awesome job even with Robbie Ray not really living up to expectations. I like George Kirby but making the playoffs is a wild west shootout in September and I am not sure how George will hold down the stretch. I like how are 5 man rotations is nothing but vets plus Logan Gilbert who is a killer

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that Dipoto hasnt really lost on any trades some have broke even. Ketel Marte to the D-Backs looked like a loss at first but we got back Segura and Haniger. Segura was an all star and we traded him to the phillies and got JP then last year Haniger had a great season and made the all star team.

Tyler Oniell had one great season but Marco Gonzales has been consistently good every year for us.

I can't think of any trades where Dipoto out right lost.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen scouting reports that indicate it's not very likely Marte stays at short and either goes to third or OF. Per MLB.com, Marte is now the Reds best prospect for whatever it's worth.

I think the Mariners shipping away Marte and Arroyo is more a product of the following:
- Arroyo and Marte were the #1 and #3 top prospects for the Mariners depending on the ranking you're looking at
- Both Marte and Arroyo have an MLB ETA that overlaps with J.P. Crawford's contract with the Mariners.
- Following up on the previous point, the Mariners love J.P. Crawford, he's a leader in the clubhouse, a fan favorite and barring him suffering serious injuries/massive drop off in production, I would be surprised if the Mariners let him hit the market after his contract expires.
- Suarez doesn't hit free agency until 2025. If it is true that Marte's future is at 3rd, it's unlikely there will be a spot for him unless the Mariners were to move Suarez to DH.

Obviously a lot can change, but I think given that context it makes a bit more sense that the Mariners gave up those two despite the Reds having a number of IF prospects already in the organization.
I don’t think anyone actually thinks Marte is going to be a MLB SS. That was kind my number 1 goal for Jerry this past offseason was to get a 3B because IMO that is what Marte is going to be and he needed to be traceable. Won’t pretend I know a single thing about Arroyo but he was a decent prospect last year then exploded in winter ball, very similar to how Raleigh went from a one dimensional prospect to an all around prospect (obviously he is more touted).

Suarez becoming a DH isn’t in the future for the M’s though IMO. They do not need a DH at all because they have a DH in France for 3 years unless they move him back to 3B or maybe work him out at 2B. Unless Evan White is traded he is the 1B on paper when it comes to building the franchise. Withstanding Evan White being dealt or whatever the franchise has Haniger right now, and Lewis for a couple of years that should be penciled in as the DH because they cannot stay healthy. I will be an optimist with this next statement but Lewis’ career as of right now is Edgar.

Without question I won’t say anything negative about the deal because Castillo is 100% a must get (though there is an issue with vaccination that I haven’t heard been addressed). I was mostly asking what a deal for Castillo and Drury would’ve been, because all of the websites have the Mariners as a contender for Drury which makes zero sense to me because they can toss in a pitcher. IMO Kirby is a no go at all, unless it is Soto or Ohtani, but Gilbert and Hancock are interchangeable.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't make any other moves today:

Tell me you're building for next year without telling me you're building for next year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think anyone actually thinks Marte is going to be a MLB SS. That was kind my number 1 goal for Jerry this past offseason was to get a 3B because IMO that is what Marte is going to be and he needed to be traceable. Won’t pretend I know a single thing about Arroyo but he was a decent prospect last year then exploded in winter ball, very similar to how Raleigh went from a one dimensional prospect to an all around prospect (obviously he is more touted).

Suarez becoming a DH isn’t in the future for the M’s though IMO. They do not need a DH at all because they have a DH in France for 3 years unless they move him back to 3B or maybe work him out at 2B. Unless Evan White is traded he is the 1B on paper when it comes to building the franchise. Withstanding Evan White being dealt or whatever the franchise has Haniger right now, and Lewis for a couple of years that should be penciled in as the DH because they cannot stay healthy. I will be an optimist with this next statement but Lewis’ career as of right now is Edgar.

Without question I won’t say anything negative about the deal because Castillo is 100% a must get (though there is an issue with vaccination that I haven’t heard been addressed). I was mostly asking what a deal for Castillo and Drury would’ve been, because all of the websites have the Mariners as a contender for Drury which makes zero sense to me because they can toss in a pitcher. IMO Kirby is a no go at all, unless it is Soto or Ohtani, but Gilbert and Hancock are interchangeable.
Arroyo I think might actually be a better prospect than Marte. The biggest kick in the gut to me is that I thought Arroyo was flying under the radar, but was included in this trade. In the end, prospects are lottery tickets, especially considering that Arroyo is only 18 and Marte is only 20. It's funny you bring up Raleigh, because the points you bring up actually remind me of Julio. I don't think many scouting reports considered him much of a threat on the basepaths and he led the league in steals at one point.

I actually disagree regarding Suarez, France and White. We're probably going to see Suarez at 3B this season and next. France is a good defensive first baseman. I don't think there is any reason to DH France when he can play first at a high level defensively, second in a pinch and third if you're desperate. I completely disagree with your assessment of Evan White. I was probably higher on Evan White than anyone, but I don't think he fits anywhere in the organization at this point. France plays 1B well, and DH will be tied up with Hanigered and Kyle Knee Injury Lewis.

Perhaps I'm biased, but the only thing that sours me about this Castillo trade is that I think what the Padres gave up for Soto is somewhat comparable to what we gave up for Castillo.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arroyo I think might actually be a better prospect than Marte. The biggest kick in the gut to me is that I thought Arroyo was flying under the radar, but was included in this trade. In the end, prospects are lottery tickets, especially considering that Arroyo is only 18 and Marte is only 20. It's funny you bring up Raleigh, because the points you bring up actually remind me of Julio. I don't think many scouting reports considered him much of a threat on the basepaths and he led the league in steals at one point.

I actually disagree regarding Suarez, France and White. We're probably going to see Suarez at 3B this season and next. France is a good defensive first baseman. I don't think there is any reason to DH France when he can play first at a high level defensively, second in a pinch and third if you're desperate. I completely disagree with your assessment of Evan White. I was probably higher on Evan White than anyone, but I don't think he fits anywhere in the organization at this point. France plays 1B well, and DH will be tied up with Hanigered and Kyle Knee Injury Lewis.

Perhaps I'm biased, but the only thing that sours me about this Castillo trade is that I think what the Padres gave up for Soto is somewhat comparable to what we gave up for Castillo.
I don’t remember anyone talking about Julio as a base stealer but I do think everyone labeled him as a 5 tool guy. I will say I honestly didn’t think he could be a legit base runner with how much everyone said he bulked up. Maybe him spending 3 months straight on trying to become a CF helped with base stealing because it is similar in terms of athleticism plus technique.

I only mentioned 2B and 3B because France is with the under club control for years to come and unless they get a legit DH he can fill that role as they don’t have a 2B for next year. I can see your argument with Haniger and Lewis, but IMO it is highly doubtful Haniger is a Mariner next year and you can’t count on Lewis. But my main point was White is still under contract and on paper has a spot and it is foolish to try to change his gold glove position. He has struggled with his offense, isn’t going to help his struggles offensively if he struggles adjusting defensively to a COF spot.

100% agree on Soto. The Mariners easily had the package for Soto that the Padres gave up. Issue with all of the talking heads talking about the comparison is they completely leave out that Bell came over too. It is all about the “Soto” package but forget SD not only upgraded with Soto but also upgraded at 1B which I don’t think anyone could honestly say the Mariners would be better off with an ace versus having a legit starting LF and DH. Without question they needed another starter and got the best one on the market but there biggest issue since Jerry has taken over is offense and he hasn’t been able to attract any offensive free agents. Hard, I won’t shit on Jerry at all for Castillo but it really seems like Castillo was his number 1, 2, and 3 option for who he wanted and no way could he have both. I would’ve chose the Soto route but I also am not the GM and he does have the Kirby issue coming up along with if the race stays the same his ace cannot pitch in the wild card round.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Furness had a pro scout on that said they wanted Julio and Gilbert as well as a couple of prospects. You can claim there was a deal to be made, but you don't know what their asking price was.

They 100% were not getting him. And I'm fine with it.

They for sure could have picked up a quality hitter that wouldn't have cost as much.

Relying on Haniger and Lewis is a bad idea. This is why Dipoto hasn't had postseason success.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t remember anyone talking about Julio as a base stealer but I do think everyone labeled him as a 5 tool guy. I will say I honestly didn’t think he could be a legit base runner with how much everyone said he bulked up. Maybe him spending 3 months straight on trying to become a CF helped with base stealing because it is similar in terms of athleticism plus technique.

I only mentioned 2B and 3B because France is with the under club control for years to come and unless they get a legit DH he can fill that role as they don’t have a 2B for next year. I can see your argument with Haniger and Lewis, but IMO it is highly doubtful Haniger is a Mariner next year and you can’t count on Lewis. But my main point was White is still under contract and on paper has a spot and it is foolish to try to change his gold glove position. He has struggled with his offense, isn’t going to help his struggles offensively if he struggles adjusting defensively to a COF spot.

100% agree on Soto. The Mariners easily had the package for Soto that the Padres gave up. Issue with all of the talking heads talking about the comparison is they completely leave out that Bell came over too. It is all about the “Soto” package but forget SD not only upgraded with Soto but also upgraded at 1B which I don’t think anyone could honestly say the Mariners would be better off with an ace versus having a legit starting LF and DH. Without question they needed another starter and got the best one on the market but there biggest issue since Jerry has taken over is offense and he hasn’t been able to attract any offensive free agents. Hard, I won’t shit on Jerry at all for Castillo but it really seems like Castillo was his number 1, 2, and 3 option for who he wanted and no way could he have both. I would’ve chose the Soto route but I also am not the GM and he does have the Kirby issue coming up along with if the race stays the same his ace cannot pitch in the wild card round.
Always good points, buddy.

When people were talking about how much Julio bulked up, they probably meant that he went from being skinny to being muscular. Having watched him live, he has great reaction time and great take off speed. Long strides and launches himself into second from first. He reminds me a lot of Alfonso Soriano.

Perhaps I'm underestimating France, but I just don't think he has the range to play second, or the arm to play third. Regarding White, I agree that you have to keep him at 1B. In the games I watched Evan White, I don't think I've ever seen a guy play first as well as him. My concern is that his bat won't ever justify being in the lineup. He has also had a number of injury setbacks.

I think you might've just made my point on Soto even better than I could've.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Furness had a pro scout on that said they wanted Julio and Gilbert as well as a couple of prospects. You can claim there was a deal to be made, but you don't know what their asking price was.

They 100% were not getting him. And I'm fine with it.

They for sure could have picked up a quality hitter that wouldn't have cost as much.

Relying on Haniger and Lewis is a bad idea. This is why Dipoto hasn't had postseason success.
I am not a pro scout at all, but I call bullshit. Julio and Gilbert alone is better than the entire package they got and given those two up would be the biggest swap in baseball history. As good as Soto is, he isn’t remotely worth Gilbert and Julio. The Padres got a couple of top prospects and two former top 5 prospects who have been injured or can’t find a spot in the everyday lineup going forward. The only thing that could’ve been different is they don’t like Kelenic at all or any of the Gilbert/Kirby/Hancock pairing. Which is fine but Kirby and Gilbert both have proven at the moment they are better than Gore as ace material and Marte/Arroyo have more promise than Abrams who doesn’t have a long term position with the Padres. The M’s had the collateral but I don’t think Jerry wanted Soto and he still has Hancock and Ford plus the OF prospects to improve the offense this off-season.

As a fan, it was disappointing just because this deadline moves is for 2023, not going for it for 2022. May end up working out but just at first glance it is disappointing. Much like how Jerry got the Cy Young winner yet the off-season seemed disappointing

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a fan, it was disappointing just because this deadline moves is for 2023, not going for it for 2022. May end up working out but just at first glance it is disappointing. Much like how Jerry got the Cy Young winner yet the off-season seemed disappointing
I agree and so do many who follow the team. Careful though, we have folks up here that get quite angry if you don't call the pickup of Castillo such a blockbuster that nothing else was necessary.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and so do many who follow the team. Careful though, we have folks up here that get quite angry if you don't call the pickup of Castillo such a blockbuster that nothing else was necessary.
LOL. I see you had the same F.U. moment that I had some time back.

Castillo is a good pickup even though signing either Gausman or Rodon would have allowed us to keep those 4 prospects or used them on a bat. And not signing a bat in the offseason puts us where we are now. Nothing has changed. Dipoto still can't get the job done.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A question of is lewis.
Or is he not..
.Will have to be answered..
As well...as a LHB
.off the bench...
And a back up catch...they may go with
The one they have..casali..or..a handful
Of others...raliegh..is the main guy..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 13 guys..
10 backup catch
11ss/2b
12of...all3
13 1b/3b

Any extras..should be at tacoma..
kelenic..trammell
And lewis could be that 4th guy in outfield..at some point..

then they will have a possable..series team...
Posablle..and likely...in offseason

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have this year..

Then the next...and castillo.is free agent
. Seems to me

.they should..all in..in the offseason

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total payroll...128.701.000

Looks like..at least..60,000mil to spend
it could happen..

If
Haniger...26..maybe..idk..his 30 to 40 hrs is important..to the mariners..
Frazier......idk

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One and done..does not cut it either..
Houston...has had..a long long..run

Time to change captains..