• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

carson palmers contract?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Deep and Dre, I think you guys both put out a very good point that he signed a contract and he should honor it. I just don't understand the point of destroying your team just to win in a situation like this. I think it's rather stupid of the Bengals to not go out and get a 1st round pick.

Sure, this isn't quite on the level of Haynesworth signing a huge deal and then deciding a year later that he wants out... and stealing 40 million from the Redskins, that was pure bullshit on his behalf. Although it is very similar to that in terms of Palmer having a big deal with lots of time left.

I don't think either side is being professional in my opinion. Although, I guess when you're the Bengals. They have to consider that if they let one player do this, then it'll open the door for the rest of the players to try the same thing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, Deep and Dre, I think you guys both put out a very good point that he signed a contract and he should honor it. I just don't understand the point of destroying your team just to win in a situation like this. I think it's rather stupid of the Bengals to not go out and get a 1st round pick.Sure, this isn't quite on the level of Haynesworth signing a huge deal and then deciding a year later that he wants out... and stealing 40 million from the Redskins, that was pure bullshit on his behalf. Although it is very similar to that in terms of Palmer having a big deal with lots of time left.

I don't think either side is being professional in my opinion. Although, I guess when you're the Bengals. They have to consider that if they let one player do this, then it'll open the door for the rest of the players to try the same thing.

the only reason i can think of is precedence? cause what if two years from now AJ Green does the same thing?

Palmer isn't the first to threaten retirement, how many other players have actually retired?

if i had to bet on it, the Bengals have talked to other team...behind closed doors. but unless the can get a good deal (informally), they can't come public.

lastly, not so sure another team will give them a 1st for Palmer? i know i wouldn't.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only reason i can think of is precedence? cause what if two years from now AJ Green does the same thing?

Palmer isn't the first to threaten retirement, how many other players have actually retired?

if i had to bet on it, the Bengals have talked to other team...behind closed doors. but unless the can get a good deal (informally), they can't come public.

lastly, not so sure another team will give them a 1st for Palmer? i know i wouldn't.

Seattle will, after TJax continues to be unimpressive.. and Pete Carroll is on the hot seat.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed a contract and should have to live up to it. I understand being unhappy but the dude should still show up and play it out, unless he wants to stay retired. Maybe if he showed up the bengals would be willing more to negotiate with him and send him somewhere. Kind of foolish they dont at least try and get soemthing for him.

Also i can see if Palmer wants to stay away and play next year somewhere else then he would be avoiding playing as not to risk any kind of injury.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also i can see if Palmer wants to stay away and play next year somewhere else then he would be avoiding playing as not to risk any kind of injury.

I think it's two years and if he "retires," don't the Bengals still own his ass for two years when he "unretires?"

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Jake Plummer comes to mind

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I understand the whole signed a contract and should live up to it argument but in the NFL a contract is meaningless. A team can release, ask you to restructure a contract, and basically not live up to their end of the deal why should we hold the players to the same ideal?

And to Carson's credit he has actually retired and kept his mouth shut. It's up to the Bengals to decide if they want to get something for him or let him sit and get nothing.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the whole signed a contract and should live up to it argument but in the NFL a contract is meaningless. A team can release, ask you to restructure a contract, and basically not live up to their end of the deal why should we hold the players to the same ideal?

And to Carson's credit he has actually retired and kept his mouth shut. It's up to the Bengals to decide if they want to get something for him or let him sit and get nothing.

Good point.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

true, Palmer can decide to retire, keep his mouth shut, and no problem here.

was just responding to "show up and half azz it". so IF he shows up to collect the money or whatever reason, be professional for your own good.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't agree with the folks, like then Bengals embarrassing owner, that want to go to the 'Carson gave us his word' stuff. When the day comes that the contract he signs binds the owner as tightly as the player, I suppose we could go there. However, both parties made the deal knowing that the contract could be over whenever the Bengals choose. It is part of the deal, of course, but it's hypocritical nature doesn't allow any moral judgements to be made on the player.

If he prefers retirement over the playing for the worst 'professional' sports team in the US, then so be it.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You asked the question "Why should we hold players to the same deal?" Because they are players, the owners sign the checks. If the system was so out of wack, then why don't the players collectively take their earnings and start their own league? It's a business and the owners have invested money in a product and have watched it grow, I don't know of any business where the employees yield as much power or earnings as the owners, sorry, that's just the way it is. Palmer saying he'd rather retire than play again for the Bengals was not him remaining quiet nor was putting his house on the market. Dude has been unprofessional from the get go. If you want out, fine, don't destroy leverage for your current team, quietly have you're paid handler find you a deal suitable for both you and you're current club, say the right things in the media, report to camp and get yourself a trade.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Forget Carson's credit. He didn't sign the contract and then find out the rules. He knew long before he signed his first contract the way the league worked. The NFLPA just went through a lockout where they could have at least attempted to change that and chose not to. Whenever a player holds out and is criticized some fans bring up that the team doesn't have to honour the contract as if it justifies what the player is doing. It doesn't. It doesn't come close. The rules have been in place for 20 years. That excuse doesn't fly.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, if Palmer shows up in week 1, what does he do if the team decides to start him? Dalton is not exactly looking ready. If Palmer shows up and is declared the starting QB in week 1, what does he do? If he refuses to play, then he can certainly be suspended without pay. If he goes out and shits the bed, then the Bengals are in good shape for Andrew Luck.

Showing up won't solve Palmer's problem.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it's two years and if he "retires," don't the Bengals still own his ass for two years when he "unretires?"

No, if he comes back in 2 years his contract is over.

Also I see people saying he should honor his contract, how often do teams honor theirs?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Also I see people saying he should honor his contract, how often do teams honor theirs?

100 point zero percent of the time.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No, if he comes back in 2 years his contract is over.

His contract isn't over. If Barry Sanders came back tomorrow, he would be Detroit Lions property. He has to get two accrued seasons for his contract to expire. We went through this a few years ago with Tai Streets.

Teams honour the contract according to what the CBA requires of them. Players usually do the same. Palmer is not.