• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

carson palmers contract?

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read on profootballtalk.com if he reports by week one his salary is fully guaranteed. Anyone think he shows up to force brown into a decision ?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I wouldn't be surprised. That's probably what I'd do.

...I hope he does show up. The Been Gals DEFINITELY would not trade away the rights to Andrew Luck if they get the #1 pick.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes sense, he is a veteran and they have that rule about how a vet's salary is guaranteed if he is on the roster week 1. If he really wants to force a trade, or get cut, the best thing he can do is make the Bengals face the possibility of paying him 11.5 million dollars to sit on the bench.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could go in and just half ass it for 11.5 Mil. thats the good life

Mock2Speed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think i read that somewhere else as well, that if he actually does that, it would force Cincy's hand because it would require them at that point to release at least 2-3 players to just possibly get under the cap. So if I'm Palmer, that is a strong possibility, as a way out of there. Then again, theyre so bad and rebuilding, that it wouldnt shock me if ownership just opted for that. Also, at this point in the offseason, so close to the start of the regukar season, who'd be the buyers in a trade for him, especially with the ridiculous askiong price that they would be demanding? I can ony think of Miami and Seattle.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He could also show up and geta headache & just hold out on 'em like a frigid wife. :)

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could come back and they'd still be under the cap

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He could come back and they'd still be under the cap

Yes, but they'd still have to write that 8 figure cheque. I hope he comes back. Dalton isn't anywhere near ready to play in the NFL.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I was just replying to the guy saying they would have to cut player s to get under cap my bad

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He could go in and just half ass it for 11.5 Mil. thats the good life

yes he could, but i wouldn't. thats being short sighted and unprofessional.

his whole angle is get to another team and at his age, likely a play-off team? anyways, all other teams will be watching him so don't half-ass it. if you do then other teams have to decide how much of it was half ass, and how much is due to your 'decline'?

if he just has a solid year, then no question you're worthy of a big contract.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes he could, but i wouldn't. thats being short sighted and unprofessional.

his whole angle is get to another team and at his age, likely a play-off team? anyways, all other teams will be watching him so don't half-ass it. if you do then other teams have to decide how much of it was half ass, and how much is due to your 'decline'?

if he just has a solid year, then no question you're worthy of a big contract.

Well, it's also pretty darn unprofessional of the Bengals to not even consider trading Palmer on the grounds of 'he either plays for us, or for nobody'. It wouldn't be a good idea for Palmer to dog it on the field on Sunday's, but he could certainly half-ass it in practice so that a coach would need to be insane for putting him in the starting line-up.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were him I would come back just to stick it to the owner. The owner chose to go the "if I cant have you no one can" route and hurt his team like a child. If I were Carson I would come back and barely practice and get paid.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it's also pretty darn unprofessional of the Bengals to not even consider trading Palmer on the grounds of 'he either plays for us, or for nobody'. It wouldn't be a good idea for Palmer to dog it on the field on Sunday's, but he could certainly half-ass it in practice so that a coach would need to be insane for putting him in the starting line-up.

He's not a guy with a troublemaking history so it might not be in his contract, but there might be clauses included to prevent this sort of thing. A "conduct detrimental to the team" type of thing.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not a guy with a troublemaking history so it might not be in his contract, but there might be clauses included to prevent this sort of thing. A "conduct detrimental to the team" type of thing.

I imagine that sort of clause is more along the lines of a being convicted of a felony, like in the case of Michael Vick. Playing poorly in practice is not quite grounds to withhold a paycheck for conduct detrimental to the team. It would just keep him out of the starting line up, and only a lunatic would pay 11.5 million for a bench player.

Although, like you said, he doesn't have a history of trouble-making. It's easy to say to do this on a message board, I know, and totally different when you're in a locker room with your peers and they're pissed that they are suffering because you're quarrelling with the owner.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine that sort of clause is more along the lines of a being convicted of a felony, like in the case of Michael Vick. Playing poorly in practice is not quite grounds to withhold a paycheck for conduct detrimental to the team. It would just keep him out of the starting line up, and only a lunatic would pay 11.5 million for a bench player.

Although, like you said, he doesn't have a history of trouble-making. It's easy to say to do this on a message board, I know, and totally different when you're in a locker room with your peers and they're pissed that they are suffering because you're quarrelling with the owner.

I was thinking about Brandon Marshall. Remember when he was doggin it in practice and kicking the ball? Looks like it was dubbed "insubordination." I knew there was some avenue of rebuttal from the team. I don't know if that's with or without pay, though.

Denver Broncos suspend insubordinate Brandon Marshall - ESPN

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about Brandon Marshall. Remember when he was doggin it in practice and kicking the ball? Looks like it was dubbed "insubordination." I knew there was some avenue of rebuttal from the team. I don't know if that's with or without pay, though.

Denver Broncos suspend insubordinate Brandon Marshall - ESPN

That is a pretty good example. I guess he'd have to walk a fine line, he'd have to show up to meetings and behave himself. No sleeping in meetings or angry outbursts at other employees and/or outside contractors such as the company that prepares food for the players/staff.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a pretty good example. I guess he'd have to walk a fine line, he'd have to show up to meetings and behave himself. No sleeping in meetings or angry outbursts at other employees and/or outside contractors such as the company that prepares food for the players/staff.

Yea. I guess he could show up, say the right things and "try hard" but just one hop all his passes but, like you said, it'd be hard to actually follow through on something like from so many aspects. Personal pride, respect to your teammates, etc.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly, I disagree with most views in this thread. Carson is under contract, with 4 years left if memory serves me right; on what grounds does he deserve a trade? Because he’s unhappy? Not feeling it. Players need to think long term before they commit to multi-year deals with visions of dollar signs dancing in their minds. And let’s also consider the position that Palmer put the Bengals in by destroying his trade value via, making remarks about “preferring to retire rather than play another down for the bengals, or how about putting his house on the market. How were the bengals supposed to receive anything comparable with those aforementioned actions by their star QB? Are they supposed to ship him for a 6th round pick and wish him the best? Carson dug his own hole, he has a contract, play or file retirement papers son. Football is a business as well, giving into the demands of employees simply because they are unhappy after entering a contractual agreement is a dangerous precedents to set for the duration of the ball club. I wouldn’t mind seeing Brown allow this clown to report to camp, pay him and still keep him on the bench..another Barry Sanders moment here folks, play or go home

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

your opinion is fine.

mine is the team doesn't need to consider a trade whenever a player asks for it? Palmer has a valid contract and is the one being unprofessional.

if he goes in and practices poorly, thats still being unprofessional, not only to the Bengals but to teammates.

btw - do we know they're not even considering a trade? publically, yes no trading activity, but what about behind closed doors?