• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

carson palmers contract?

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, if Palmer shows up in week 1, what does he do if the team decides to start him? Dalton is not exactly looking ready. If Palmer shows up and is declared the starting QB in week 1, what does he do? If he refuses to play, then he can certainly be suspended without pay. If he goes out and shits the bed, then the Bengals are in good shape for Andrew Luck.

Showing up won't solve Palmer's problem.

Where have you been?

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget Carson's credit. He didn't sign the contract and then find out the rules. He knew long before he signed his first contract the way the league worked. The NFLPA just went through a lockout where they could have at least attempted to change that and chose not to. Whenever a player holds out and is criticized some fans bring up that the team doesn't have to honour the contract as if it justifies what the player is doing. It doesn't. It doesn't come close. The rules have been in place for 20 years. That excuse doesn't fly.

Man this is even more intense than the time I forgot how to sit down.

But I agree. I think we suffer from the habit of choosing sides, only because there is a side to choose. Things are how they should be in this case.

Players should do a better job of working their contracts in ways that cover this. Imagine every team in the league, having to honor a contract for someone like Leaf. Players like Carson who don't want to be there, aren't helping their team though. Bengals are kinda being dickish with pride, The team won't get results even if he comes back at this point. He is toxic to them after the way it's been handled. . Look at Gore, he wants to be here so he is, but he let it be known he wants a new deal. That's the honorable way to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Man this is even more intense than the time I forgot how to sit down.

But I agree. I think we suffer from the habit of choosing sides, only because there is a side to choose. Things are how they should be in this case.

Players should do a better job of working their contracts in ways that cover this. Imagine every team in the league, having to honor a contract for someone like Leaf. Players like Carson who don't want to be there, aren't helping their team though. Bengals are kinda being dickish with pride, The team won't get results even if he comes back at this point. He is toxic to them after the way it's been handled. . Look at Gore, he wants to be here so he is, but he let it be known he wants a new deal. That's the honorable way to do it.

I do love the way Gore is handling it, but let's say he doesn't get a deal and he suffers a serious injury. He then loses his last big contract. I think Desean Jackson is making something like $750k this year. That's ridiculous. The guy should hold out. Chris Johnson is definitely premature. I believe he has a pretty good contract but I could be wrong on him. And I'm not picking sides, I understand when both do it. But you shouldn't get mad at players when they do that and vice versa.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, Mike Brown already has Palmer's money waiting for him, so he can pay him. Palmer would sit the first 4 weeks, and then he would be the starter yet again. Mike Brown would not trade him for any value, because he wants him as his QB, and if he decides to come back, he would welcome him back with open arms, just bench him the first 4 weeks until he learns the offense.

He has 4 years / 50 million left on his contract, and Brown is willing to honor that contract if Palmer comes back. Problem is, will Palmer's offensive line respect him enough to block as hard for him if it looks like he is not trying out there? If Palmer is not trying or appears to be not trying, how many middle blitzes you think Palmer will get killed on during the season.

He would have to come back and give 100% to avoid getting killed.

Palmer is either retiring on his own terms, or he is coming back and being the Bengals starter for the next 4 years. If Palmer wouldn't have left the team high and dry, Brown may have been willing to work with him if he said, "I want out of here, btu I am giving you my notice. I will stay one year while you groom another young QB to take over for me. After that, I would hope you honor me with enough respect to trade me to another team, or I will be forced to retire." If Brown said yes, then get that shit in writing, however, he just quit. So to reward a quitter who leaves you high and dry with no alternative, I do not feel sorry for Palmer, and this is coming from a guy whose favorite player in the league was Palmer.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I do love the way Gore is handling it, but let's say he doesn't get a deal and he suffers a serious injury. He then loses his last big contract. I think Desean Jackson is making something like $750k this year. That's ridiculous. The guy should hold out. Chris Johnson is definitely premature. I believe he has a pretty good contract but I could be wrong on him. And I'm not picking sides, I understand when both do it. But you shouldn't get mad at players when they do that and vice versa.

I can't agree with this. The players are knowingly breaching their contracts. The team would only be in breach if they refused to pay part of the contract that the player had earned.

If Frank Gore gets his new contract then suffers a serious injury, would he willingly give money back?

If DeSean Jackson gets his new contract, say 4 years 36M (9M per year) and goes on to average 48 catches, 550 yards and 2 TDs over the length of the contract, will he be willing to renegotiate the contract and take less money?

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can't agree with this. The players are knowingly breaching their contracts. The team would only be in breach if they refused to pay part of the contract that the player had earned.

If Frank Gore gets his new contract then suffers a serious injury, would he willingly give money back?

If DeSean Jackson gets his new contract, say 4 years 36M (9M per year) and goes on to average 48 catches, 550 yards and 2 TDs over the length of the contract, will he be willing to renegotiate the contract and take less money?

Teams knowingly drop contracts all the time. Look at Clements, he was due a lot of money so they got rid of him. They structured his contract so they can do that. And the whole injury thing doesn't apply, the teams insurance pays that. Just because it shows up on the salary cap, doesn't mean the owners are paying them still. And on your DeSean Jackson point, maybe he would give him money back if owners weren't the way they were. Last year their was a soccer player that got injured one season, so he gave the money back and played for free the next. They asked him why, and he basically said it was because his team doesn't screw him.

At the end of the day, players get a limited time to make their money. They really only get 2 chances to get the best contract in their prime. Their is no point in DeSean Jackson blowing possible his only shot. He has definitely already earned that money if you ask me.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hopefully you guys don't think I'm supporting Gore getting that Deangelo money because that's just ridiculous. But I do support him securing his future with this team. We've wasted his entire career. Whether we're paying him to be a backup or complimentary back in 3-4 years or not, he's worth an extension.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Teams knowingly drop contracts all the time.

That's why they give out signing bounuses & other guarenteed money. Everyone knew Clements wouldn't get that 2011 salary (including Clements unless he's a moron).

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Teams knowingly drop contracts all the time. Look at Clements, he was due a lot of money so they got rid of him. They structured his contract so they can do that. And the whole injury thing doesn't apply, the teams insurance pays that. Just because it shows up on the salary cap, doesn't mean the owners are paying them still. And on your DeSean Jackson point, maybe he would give him money back if owners weren't the way they were. Last year their was a soccer player that got injured one season, so he gave the money back and played for free the next. They asked him why, and he basically said it was because his team doesn't screw him.

At the end of the day, players get a limited time to make their money. They really only get 2 chances to get the best contract in their prime. Their is no point in DeSean Jackson blowing possible his only shot. He has definitely already earned that money if you ask me.

You're right. Teams drop contracts all the time. Know why? Because it's written into the CBA that the NFLPA agreed to that it was acceptable. The PA also clearly agrees that holdouts are not acceptable because they agreed in the CBA to let franchises fine players for holding out. If I recall, the new CBA allows for significantly greater daily fines than those in the past.

With Clements, he agreed to the contract. Not only did (should?) he have known he could be cut when it got too rich, but he likely knew he WOULD get cut at that time. He still signed it.

Cutting a player is not analogous to a hold out anyway. The franchise equivalent would be refusing to pay the player until he took a pay cut, but not releasing him.

If the players sincerely wanted to stop franchises from cutting them when they were overpaid, they would have insisted on full guaranteed contracts, or at least more guaranteed money, like MLB. Instead it didn't even come up in the most recent negotiations. Everyone knew the system would be the same.

With respect to injuries, if players take a pay cut, it saves cap room. If Frank Gore gets the fat new contract he wants, and then blows out his ACL and his career ends, do you see him giving the money back? Wouldn't it be nice for the team if he gave them 6 or 7M a year in cap room while he couldn't play? How long did we carry Junior Bryant when it was clear he would never play again because of his salary?

Do you feel DeSean Jackson will not get paid? He chose to play in the NFL. He presumably had some idea as to how the league worked. He doesn't have the right to complain about a system in which he agreed to participate.

Do you really feel that all owners treat all players the exact same? Do you think Peyton Manning feels disrespected by Jim Irsay? Manning said he would take less than he felt he was worth to help the Colts and Irsay insisted Manning would get what he was worth. If he can't play at the beginning of the season because of his neck injury do you expect him to give money back? Clearly the Colts have taken care of him and not screwed him.

If Vick gets seriously injured, do you think he'll be giving money back to the Eagles? Do you think he feels like the Eagles have disrespected him?

What it boils down to is that the system has been in place forever relative to the careers of all players currently in the league. They know what they're getting into and they volunteer to get into it.

They have no excuse for holding out. It's not acceptable.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hopefully you guys don't think I'm supporting Gore getting that Deangelo money because that's just ridiculous. But I do support him securing his future with this team. We've wasted his entire career. Whether we're paying him to be a backup or complimentary back in 3-4 years or not, he's worth an extension.

Is he worth 6 or 7 million against the cap if he is forced to retire due to injuries?

Hasn't the team already taken care of him? He got a fat new contract after his second season. He didn't have to sign an extension then. He could have waited another year and got more money. He also could have signed a shorter deal.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The point is still there with Clements contract. The NFL has been doing that since Free Agency began. Back-loading them, and then dumping the player if he no longer becomes worth that type of money. Which is why the trend has moved towards a higher amount of guaranteed money to lure FAs.

When Clements signed that contract, nearly everyone knew that he was not really going to be an 80 million dollar guy. The media said it, and most of the guys here were saying that. The only people who seemed to actually think he was going to get 80 million dollars were the trolls who were trying to bug us about the 49ers being so stupid that they overpaid for Clements.