• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

car folks, got a question

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay that i know nothing about, lol.

My Tacoma that I drove for 12 years never had a problem, so i never really had much "opportunity" or need to get under and get acquainted with this stuff.

Luckily, Wranglers from what i've heard, and experienced thus far, are pretty straight forward, and easy to learn on

what year is your wrangler?

i know that they recently changed the front suspension setup

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The boot itself being out probably won't be your issue. If it is related, then the torn boot has led to the problem. If that boot being torn has let things wear out, you will have to replace them. If you look and that link isn't the issue, then just replace the boot before it does cause more issues.

Bad news is that linkage tends to wear out all at once. One end link goes out, and that sloppiness will make everything else wear out with it. It is only then that you start to notice it most of the time. If you get some "play" in that linkage, it would be best for you to jack up the front end and replace all of that linkage. The last thing you want is to have one of those little guys come loose on the highway. Had that happen in a friends '65 convertible. Luckily we were in town and all that happened was he veered off into a curb. Ended up doing minor damage (bent wheel, blown tire) but could have been worse.

this....the .nasty lookin boot is more than likely a symptom of the real problem

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what year is your wrangler?

i know that they recently changed the front suspension setup

'04

here is a handy dandy graphic i found of the front end

Attachments

• tjsteering(1).jpg
    tjsteering(1).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 48

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
making me nervous about my trip across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel tomorrow...
Chesapeake-Bay-Bridge-Tunnel.jpg

meh, chances of that are so slim I wouldn't worry about it. I would make a point to check it out eventually though, or mention it to your mechanic next time you drop it off.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'04

I still am putting my money that there is one of the joints at either end of the tie rod are worn out. The boot likely tore because someone was tinkering with it (unlikely) or the joint under it is loose and has been wobbling around.

Not an expensive fix and you can most likely replace a tie rod end yourself. You will have to get it aligned afterwards though.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still am putting my money that there is one of the joints at either end of the tie rod are worn out. The boot likely tore because someone was tinkering with it (unlikely) or the joint under it is loose and has been wobbling around.

Not an expensive fix and you can most likely replace a tie rod end yourself. You will have to get it aligned afterwards though.

yeah i've already been looking at them, looks like about $25-$35, i'll set aside some time next weekend to get at it, probably the first chance i'll have

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'04

good....i think it was like 09 they switched to independent front suspension....i guess they are pretty glitchy

parts for that straight axle front end should be super plentiful and cheap

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay, dumb question here...going to replace the tie rod end, and track bar bushing (spotted a little excess play there)...as far as the tie rod end, for the passenger side, do i want left handed thread or right handed thread?

DnKSDad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay, dumb question here...going to replace the tie rod end, and track bar bushing (spotted a little excess play there)...as far as the tie rod end, for the passenger side, do i want left handed thread or right handed thread?

I'm sending a link to a page that shows the steering and the tie rod ends with the correct threads. The steering on my TJ is not stock, so I had to go researching....

I believe you're after part no. 12 in the diagram which is Right hand....

Steering Components for Jeep Wrangler TJ

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sending a link to a page that shows the steering and the tie rod ends with the correct threads. The steering on my TJ is not stock, so I had to go researching....

I believe you're after part no. 12 in the diagram which is Right hand....

Steering Components for Jeep Wrangler TJ

That is the most rep-worthy post I've seen in a long time. Not just a "trust me" post, but the parts you need. Good find!

DnKSDad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the most rep-worthy post I've seen in a long time. Not just a "trust me" post, but the parts you need. Good find!

thanks --- let's just say I've learned from experience not to hope I got the right part!
:thumb:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awesome. thanks for that link...this will help a great deal!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
making me nervous about my trip across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel tomorrow...
Chesapeake-Bay-Bridge-Tunnel.jpg

wtf? how have i never seen this before.. it's a bridge, and a tunnel!?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wtf? how have i never seen this before.. it's a bridge, and a tunnel!?

it's a 20 mile bridge, with two 1 mile long tunnels that connects Virginia Beach to the Eastern Shore, crossing the Chesapeake Bay

2 lanes going north, 2 going south, in the tunnels, it condenses to one lane going each way, head on

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's a 20 mile bridge, with two 1 mile long tunnels that connects Virginia Beach to the Eastern Shore, crossing the Chesapeake Bay

2 lanes going north, 2 going south, in the tunnels, it condenses to one lane going each way, head on

obviously i dont know the details, but there's nothing about a bridge/tunnel that sounds like a good idea.. was there a reason (aside from the 'oh neato!' factor) they didn't just increase the height of the bridge where they wanted ships and stuff to go through? too large of a span required between piers?

bridge/tunnel screams "most expensive option we have"

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
obviously i dont know the details, but there's nothing about a bridge/tunnel that sounds like a good idea.. was there a reason (aside from the 'oh neato!' factor) they didn't just increase the height of the bridge where they wanted ships and stuff to go through? too large of a span required between piers?

Yes, there is a reason. The U.S. Navy fleet in Norfolk would be trapped if the bridge collapsed.

Source: my head, verified by Wikipedia, hopefully verified by a real source but I'm too lazy to check

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, there is a reason. The U.S. Navy fleet in Norfolk would be trapped if the bridge collapsed.

Source: my head, verified by Wikipedia, hopefully verified by a real source but I'm too lazy to check

valid.

and since it's valid. that's fuckin sweet. i woulda loved to work on the design of that project.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats only 1 of three bridge/tunnel combos in Hampton Roads...i always figured it was normal

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (I-64)
Monitor Merrimac Bridge Tunnel (I-664)

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
thats only 1 of three bridge/tunnel combos in Hampton Roads...i always figured it was normal

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (I-64)Monitor Merrimac Bridge Tunnel (I-664)

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even aside from the possibility of a bridge collapse, I'm trying to picture a bridge that's high enough for an aircraft carrier to go underneath... That would be something. :)