• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

car folks, got a question

SeeYouNT

Вы хотели бы некоторые Путина?
Hoopla Cash
$ 291.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, the place i had it at yesterday said they really didnt have a clue what it was. they said they would replace the steering stabilizer shock, but they were really just making a guess, and if that didnt work i'm out $140.

they rotated my tires, and that was it, they refused to balance the tires because they didnt think that was it...noticeably smoother ride, never got the shakes on my way home, or on my way to the shop this morning. (took it to a different place to get the balancing done) hoping that'll take care of it, and i can take it back to the first shop and tell them how simple it was, lol

You could have a bad tire (broken belt) or maybe it was just out of balance. You'll know for sure next time you get your tires rotated....

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well just picked her up from the shop after having the balancing done...so far so good

DnKSDad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well just picked her up from the shop after having the balancing done...so far so good

good. I would bet you'll be fine. From your description, it couldn't have been full blown death wobble. I had a buddy who had it so bad it would literally throw the jeep half way across the lane and back.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good. I would bet you'll be fine. From your description, it couldn't have been full blown death wobble. I had a buddy who had it so bad it would literally throw the jeep half way across the lane and back.

thats what ive been thinking...from other people who have experienced the full blown DW have said that you know when you've got the DW, and the way you know is that you first need a new pair of shorts...mine has been more an annoyance, and worry that something is going to rattle off the rig rather than fearing for my life, or thinking i was about to shoot off the road or anything

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well it looks like i spoke too soon. got the shakes on my way home from work yesterday. Has only happened the one time since picking it up, so its seeming to not be as frequent, and it wasnt as severe.

Thinking maybe the tires being unbalanced maybe started it, but where it happened a good amount, maybe it loosened things up? going to be getting underneath tomorrow and checking things over.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well it looks like i spoke too soon. got the shakes on my way home from work yesterday. Has only happened the one time since picking it up, so its seeming to not be as frequent, and it wasnt as severe.

Thinking maybe the tires being unbalanced maybe started it, but where it happened a good amount, maybe it loosened things up? going to be getting underneath tomorrow and checking things over.

The message board post I linked to had like 8 things to check. Not sure if they were all easy to do by yourself or not.

DnKSDad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the "how to fix it" link that RobV posted is good... It has the torque specs, etc. Make sure everything is tight and see if you notice a worn out bushing or wallowed out mount. I once had a loose castle nut. Hopefully, tightening will get it.

If that doesn't get it, then you'll have to start checking for worn out bearings, etc.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The message board post I linked to had like 8 things to check. Not sure if they were all easy to do by yourself or not.

the "how to fix it" link that RobV posted is good... It has the torque specs, etc. Make sure everything is tight and see if you notice a worn out bushing or wallowed out mount. I once had a loose castle nut. Hopefully, tightening will get it.

If that doesn't get it, then you'll have to start checking for worn out bearings, etc.

yeah i bookmarked that one and will be referring back to it for sure, thanks RobV for posting it

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
took a quick look when i got to work this morning, and i think i may have found my culprit.

just on the back side of the drag link, where the steering stabilizer connects to it

Attachments

• drag link.jpg
    drag link.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 40
  • drag link 2.jpg
    drag link 2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 31

DnKSDad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That boot being shot means the joint has probably been dry for a while. Can you tell how much play is in it?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going out at lunch time to get a buddy from the office to get in and cut the wheel back and forth so i can see if there is any visible movement that should not be there

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
took a quick look when i got to work this morning, and i think i may have found my culprit.

just on the back side of the drag link, where the steering stabilizer connects to it

that'll do it

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just getting to this. I'd have suggested looking at tie rods and your linkage. Sounds like something came loose. Rotating the tires is always a good idea anyways.

Never go back to a shop that suggests changing your steering stabilizer. The only reason you need that stabilizer is if you are offroad, to keep you from breaking a wrist when you drop into a rut. The stabilizer will only hide whatever is causing your issues.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your buddy goes out, have him get in and turn the wheel with the engine off. He won't actually need to turn it, just wobble the steering wheel back and forth. If he is able to move it more than "a little" then that will show you where the slack in the steering is.

I've seen things as simple as a loose steering box cause sloppiness in the steering.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats what ive been thinking...from other people who have experienced the full blown DW have said that you know when you've got the DW, and the way you know is that you first need a new pair of shorts...mine has been more an annoyance, and worry that something is going to rattle off the rig rather than fearing for my life, or thinking i was about to shoot off the road or anything

Could be a transfer case problem, which 4WD jeeps are notorious for. It seems that going over a bump at speed can somehow confuse the tranny when coming back down to the road at speed, which could cause a momentary downshift at speed, causing the jeep to lurk, and possibly swerve.

I had lots of transfer case problems on my 97 Grand Cherokee ltd, which gave me continuous problems, but not the one you describe.

Jeeps have a pretty high COG, so anything at speed is magnified.

I did get minor wobble which at 50, which went away when I put on a new set of tires with a wider footprint, giving me more rubber on the road. With those tires, the ride was markedly improved, even better than when new. Much more stable, smooth, and no more wobble. Gave me an immediate feeling of security.

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay that i know nothing about, lol.

My Tacoma that I drove for 12 years never had a problem, so i never really had much "opportunity" or need to get under and get acquainted with this stuff.

Luckily, Wranglers from what i've heard, and experienced thus far, are pretty straight forward, and easy to learn on

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay that i know nothing about, lol.

My Tacoma that I drove for 12 years never had a problem, so i never really had much "opportunity" or need to get under and get acquainted with this stuff.

Luckily, Wranglers from what i've heard, and experienced thus far, are pretty straight forward, and easy to learn on

I wouldn't think the t-case would have much to do with a front end wobble. You would feel that more in your floorboard or coming from the back of the jeep. Never rule anything out without seeing/hearing/driving...but highly unlikely.

Were you able to watch the linkage while someone turned the steering wheel? You shouldn't see any of it move without trying to budge the wheels.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the problem is arising from the tie rod end in the pictures, do you all think i would be better off replacing the entire tie rod, or just the boot?

Energy Suspension 9-13101R - Energy Suspension Tie Rod Boot Set for 55-06 Jeep® CJ, Wrangler YJ & TJ - Quadratec

The boot itself being out probably won't be your issue. If it is related, then the torn boot has led to the problem. If that boot being torn has let things wear out, you will have to replace them. If you look and that link isn't the issue, then just replace the boot before it does cause more issues.

Bad news is that linkage tends to wear out all at once. One end link goes out, and that sloppiness will make everything else wear out with it. It is only then that you start to notice it most of the time. If you get some "play" in that linkage, it would be best for you to jack up the front end and replace all of that linkage. The last thing you want is to have one of those little guys come loose on the highway. Had that happen in a friends '65 convertible. Luckily we were in town and all that happened was he veered off into a curb. Ended up doing minor damage (bent wheel, blown tire) but could have been worse.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The boot itself being out probably won't be your issue. If it is related, then the torn boot has led to the problem. If that boot being torn has let things wear out, you will have to replace them. If you look and that link isn't the issue, then just replace the boot before it does cause more issues.

Bad news is that linkage tends to wear out all at once. One end link goes out, and that sloppiness will make everything else wear out with it. It is only then that you start to notice it most of the time. If you get some "play" in that linkage, it would be best for you to jack up the front end and replace all of that linkage. The last thing you want is to have one of those little guys come loose on the highway. Had that happen in a friends '65 convertible. Luckily we were in town and all that happened was he veered off into a curb. Ended up doing minor damage (bent wheel, blown tire) but could have been worse.

making me nervous about my trip across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel tomorrow...
Chesapeake-Bay-Bridge-Tunnel.jpg