• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

car folks, got a question

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
recently, when driving the jeep, at certain speeds (typically about 50-55) the front end starts shaking like crazy. If i slow it down, it stops, or if i speed through it, it stops.

It doesnt happen all the time, just every so often. when i'm going that speed and hit a small bump, its near guaranteed to happen.

from my limited knowledge, and everyone i've asked about it, and everything that i've googled, it sounds like my wheels need balancing.

I took it to the shop this morning, told the guy i wanted my wheels balanced, and described what was happening. They sent someone on a test drive with it. After not hearing a word from them i call back at about 3, they havent done a thing to it because they dont know what it is but say it is not a balancing issue, they are taking it for another test drive...they think it is something with the steering stabilizer

any of you have any ideas? should i tell them just to do what i originally asked them to? should i get a second opinion on it? or let them do the stabilizer that is going to be more $$ than i was envisioning paying on this trip?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Ball bearings going bad perhaps? That's a common problem that can start off like an alignment or balance issue at first. Typically it starts to cause a horrible sound but with modern bearings on a generally louder vehicle like a jeep it can seem similar until it gets bad. It would be more noticable during turns and at constant speeds like a highway.

FYI, not a car expert. Hope it gets figured out soon.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm no car expert, but I know it was not the stabilizer when a friend of mine was having similar trouble. I would not jump straight to replacing that unless they could really satisfy me that they were sure that was the problem.

shaking after bumps and 50-55mph....steering damper? (hankook dynapro mt's)

Can a bad steering stabilizer cause wheel shake? - DiscoWeb Message Boards

You've got the "death wobble." I think it's fairly common, I don't know too much about Jeeps though...

Jeep "death wobble" leaves drivers shaken and looking for answers | abc7news.com

Wrangler death wobble - What causes it and how to fix it

Good luck.

@757 if your answer isnt in here let me know.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The death wobble piece Rob posted should tell you all you need to know. Also, how old is your Jeep? If its newish and still under warranty, I'd just take it back to the dealership. From what you described, it definitely sounds like a suspension geometry issue. There could be many causes (as described in that Jeepz forum topic) so definitely find some good garages and get a couple of opinions first. Jeeps are pretty popular (and tend to have a lot of issues) so if you're in a populated area, you can probably find a shop that specializes in them

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
if it isnt the 'death wobble' have them check the stabilizer shock and trailing arm bushings.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a tire out of balance. A very cheap & quick fix.

Good luck.

DnKSDad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's death wobble. The links will help you. Start with the simplest things first - tire balance. Then, what suspension do you have under it? Do you go offroad? Usually death wobble is from worn out rod ends in your front steering, but it could be as simple as a loose bolt. Probably the last thing I would look at is the steering stabilizer. I would check to be sure the bolts for it are tight, but I doubt it is bad.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, the place i had it at yesterday said they really didnt have a clue what it was. they said they would replace the steering stabilizer shock, but they were really just making a guess, and if that didnt work i'm out $140.

they rotated my tires, and that was it, they refused to balance the tires because they didnt think that was it...noticeably smoother ride, never got the shakes on my way home, or on my way to the shop this morning. (took it to a different place to get the balancing done) hoping that'll take care of it, and i can take it back to the first shop and tell them how simple it was, lol

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's death wobble. The links will help you. Start with the simplest things first - tire balance. Then, what suspension do you have under it? Do you go offroad? Usually death wobble is from worn out rod ends in your front steering, but it could be as simple as a loose bolt. Probably the last thing I would look at is the steering stabilizer. I would check to be sure the bolts for it are tight, but I doubt it is bad.

it's a 04, havent had it offroading yet, previous owner never took it off.

Stock suspension, no lift or anything

DnKSDad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's a 04, havent had it offroading yet, previous owner never took it off.

Stock suspension, no lift or anything

Stock suspension and street driving only makes things a little simpler! They may have rotated your problem (balance) to the back. After you balance, you might be good to go. If not, then, you can start checking for wear and looseness.

let us know....

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, thanks for the help. Got 12 hour work days today and tomorrow, but thursday night after work i'm going to go in and make sure things are good and tight

welcome to SportsHoopla, btw DnKSDad

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go for balancing of tires. If its not that then I would say bearings / joints. Remember this is a JEEP so I would be highly surprised if it wasn't off road at some point for a little fun. If they own a JEEP and do not do this, they should strap on a dress.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go for balancing of tires. If its not that then I would say bearings / joints. Remember this is a JEEP so I would be highly surprised if it wasn't off road at some point for a little fun. If they own a JEEP and do not do this, they should strap on a dress.

well, the original owner took off the all-terrain tires and replaced them with road tires because the AT's were "too noisy"...and if he ever did take it off road, he went under the hood with a toothbrush and cleaned it afterwards cause that shit was spotless when i got it

dont worry though, AT's will be going back on it as soon as these tires need replacing

DnKSDad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, the original owner took off the all-terrain tires and replaced them with road tires because the AT's were "too noisy"...and if he ever did take it off road, he went under the hood with a toothbrush and cleaned it afterwards cause that shit was spotless when i got it

oh lord, you bought a hoos JEEP!
:laugh:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO, damn it, i knew something was a little fishy