• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cap will be 132MM+

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, it looks like we will be about 19MM over the cap starting next month when the NFL year starts. Getting to and under the cap will not be a problem. The question is though how do you do it? Do you touch Romo's deal, cut Ware, etc. how would you go about doing this?

Getting to the cap is as easy as restructure of Romo, Scandrick, and Lee.

You could create about another 18MM be restructuring Ware, Wit, and Carr.

As well as about another 5MM by cutting Costa, Parnell, Durant, and Orton retire.

That is about 23MM not including a pay cut or post June 1st cut of Miles which would cover the rooks.

So I suppose my question is do you create this 23MM in cap space and go all out this season? Or do you do right and manage for the future?

If I told you that with the 23MM created we would sign DE Hardy, S Byrd, and DT Melton, would you do it?

Just curious, btw I find it funny how everyday the team's cap situation which was once soooooooooooo bad is now looking not so bad, and just wait until next year's increase which will be far more than this season's.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way in hell I would touch Lee's contract.

Not sure why you listed his. It's fairly cheap considering if he misses games (which he has each year thus far) He doesn't collect on the incentive part of it.

I would not cut Durant either. He looked pretty damn good .... He just got hurt. Along with most of the defense

and last but not least. No I would not go after any top free agent. Not with this draft class. And not with the need to eventually get ourselves out of cap hell

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, it looks like we will be about 19MM over the cap starting next month when the NFL year starts. Getting to and under the cap will not be a problem. The question is though how do you do it? Do you touch Romo's deal, cut Ware, etc. how would you go about doing this?

As well as about another 5MM by cutting Costa, Parnell, Durant, and Orton retire.

That is about 23MM not including a pay cut or post June 1st cut of Miles which would cover the rooks.

So I suppose my question is do you create this 23MM in cap space and go all out this season? Or do you do right and manage for the future?

If I told you that with the 23MM created we would sign DE Hardy, S Byrd, and DT Melton, would you do it?

Just curious, btw I find it funny how everyday the team's cap situation which was once soooooooooooo bad is now looking not so bad, and just wait until next year's increase which will be far more than this season's.

i can see us restructuring Romo, Carr, Orton, Scandrick & Bernadeau which would clear around 20.737M and get us under the cap.

releasing Durant & Costa would clear another 2.750M. Durant is expendable because of the play of Holloman.

using the Post-June-1 cut to release Austin clears another 5.5M.

don't see them restructuring Ware, more likely they look to trading him either this off-season or the next

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Past time to manage for the future IMHO

I restructure Romo, tell Ware its time for a incentive laden Contract or its time to part ways its just business not personal and only move enough of Carr to get under

Miles is moving to Down the road Motors and thank you very much

I don't go after any FA unless its for a incentive contract at the league minimum PERIOD

Cut Costa and Parnell. If Orton retires then draft the best QB on my board after round 2 unless somebody falls in my lap not named Manziel and bring in a couple UDFA 's to battle for 2nd string backup. If Romo goes down season is most likely over anyway and it is past time to groom his replacement

Wont happen that way but its how I would do it

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I restructure Romo, tell Ware its time for a incentive laden Contract or its time to part ways its just business not personal and only move enough of Carr to get under

I don't go after any FA unless its for a incentive contract at the league minimum PERIOD

Cut Costa and Parnell. If Orton retires then draft the best QB on my board after round 2 unless somebody falls in my lap not named Manziel and bring in a couple UDFA 's to battle for 2nd string backup. If Romo goes down season is most likely over anyway and it is past time to groom his replacement

I totally agree with you

Romo will be restructured ...... That's a given and they planned to do that when they signed him

I agree on Ware as well ... but just the other day Garrett pretty much said Ware is staying a Cowboy.
What I can actually see them doing with Ware is giving him an extension ....1-2 more years. and spreading his big pay this year over those two seasons

I dont understand why anyone wants to part with Durant. He's a good solid football player not making big money at all. If you get rid of him you have to go out and get someone to replace him .... so you aaren't actually saving money. I don't really think anyone possibly believes you can go get a UDFA OLber that is a 100+ tackle Lber ..... and that's what Durant is.

If I move Carr's money ... it's just enough to get under the cap. He fell apart after Johnson ripped him up last year .... and he needs to prove he can get back to form if not it will be time to part ways with him and his huge contract

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with you

Romo will be restructured ...... That's a given and they planned to do that when they signed him

I agree on Ware as well ... but just the other day Garrett pretty much said Ware is staying a Cowboy.
What I can actually see them doing with Ware is giving him an extension ....1-2 more years. and spreading his big pay this year over those two seasons

I dont understand why anyone wants to part with Durant. He's a good solid football player not making big money at all. If you get rid of him you have to go out and get someone to replace him .... so you aaren't actually saving money. I don't really think anyone possibly believes you can go get a UDFA OLber that is a 100+ tackle Lber ..... and that's what Durant is.

If I move Carr's money ... it's just enough to get under the cap. He fell apart after Johnson ripped him up last year .... and he needs to prove he can get back to form if not it will be time to part ways with him and his huge contract

Not that I would want to cut Durant, but I would rather youth over him in Holloman and Wilber. Holloman has great potential I believe, and Wilber I believe played better than Durant when moved to SOLB just my opinion, Durant's cap space can be used at another spot.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I would want to cut Durant, but I would rather youth over him in Holloman and Wilber. Holloman has great potential I believe, and Wilber I believe played better than Durant when moved to SOLB just my opinion, Durant's cap space can be used at another spot.

I disagree you still have to have depth and you still need competition at the position. I don't anything positive with cutting Durant. You still have to go get someone for depth. And by the time you do that what have you saved? Nothing

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everything you said is true, but the part about chasing the top FA's is still far fetched. We are still the farthest over the cap of any team in the league. It's unlikely that we could sign Hardy, Byrd or Melton, even if we made all those cap moves, because we are still competing for FA's with several teams that are $23 million or more under already, without doing a thing. All those teams could outbid us, or drive the cost of those players so high, that it would wreck our future caps if it did. I think the biggest thing the jump in the cap did was give Dallas the chance to keep Spencer and possibly Ware while having a much better cap situation next year

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

agree. I hope Ware wasn't just whistling dixie when he mentioned his contract after the season.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything you said is true, but the part about chasing the top FA's is still far fetched. We are still the farthest over the cap of any team in the league. It's unlikely that we could sign Hardy, Byrd or Melton, even if we made all those cap moves, because we are still competing for FA's with several teams that are $23 million or more under already, without doing a thing. All those teams could outbid us, or drive the cost of those players so high, that it would wreck our future caps if it did. I think the biggest thing the jump in the cap did was give Dallas the chance to keep Spencer and possibly Ware while having a much better cap situation next year

I want to stay away from the FA market unless we need to patch a hole with the backups. Our returning injured should be considered our FA pick ups

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here's my thing with Durant

he is only costing 1.45 million this TOTAL
you only save 1.25 million if you cut him

To replace him with a FA you have to pay atleast vet minimum. best you could find anyone in Fa (and this is if you did real good) 800k-1 mill .....so you are only saving around 250,00-450,000
Or you have to invest a draft pick ... which this teams already has enough holes without creating more.
Even if you like our young players..... you still have to have depth at the position ....

No more than you would save (which is vertually pennies in the NFL) no way to I destroy depth at the position or competition at the position

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Ware it's simple what you do

instead of 12.5 million base you pay him 2.5 million in base and move the rest to the final two years of the contract.

Doesn't hurt you any because he will cost roughly the same to cut next year as he will this year ... difference is we currently have no dead money in 2015
Going into 2014 we already have 12 million in dead money. Which will increases with the cut of Austin.

cuts 10 million off the cap right there + Austin ( 3.4) ..... just a little restructuring of Romo and we're under

wont be hard to make roughly 5 million in restructures

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Ware it's simple what you do

instead of 12.5 million base you pay him 2.5 million in base and move the rest to the final two years of the contract.

Doesn't hurt you any because he will cost roughly the same to cut next year as he will this year ... difference is we currently have no dead money in 2015
Going into 2014 we already have 12 million in dead money. Which will increases with the cut of Austin.

cuts 10 million off the cap right there + Austin ( 3.4) ..... just a little restructuring of Romo and we're under

wont be hard to make roughly 5 million in restructures

Ware actually has three years left on his deal, the last two years void out though, dummy years. We can restructure him in full this year, but if we cut him next year it's almost a wash of a cut. Restructure for Ware is not an option unless you sign him to a 3-4 year extension with an additional dummy year or two at the end.

As for Durant, I understand what you are saying however once again I say cut him to create the space, to bring in depth at another spot. If you need depth at OLB make it a rookie, or min vet. To me enough comp with Wilber, Holloman, and Carter.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ware actually has three years left on his deal, the last two years void out though, dummy years. We can restructure him in full this year, but if we cut him next year it's almost a wash of a cut. Restructure for Ware is not an option unless you sign him to a 3-4 year extension with an additional dummy year or two at the end.

As for Durant, I understand what you are saying however once again I say cut him to create the space, to bring in depth at another spot. If you need depth at OLB make it a rookie, or min vet. To me enough comp with Wilber, Holloman, and Carter.

Not for me .... and not with the injuries this defense has had the past 2 years.

With Ware what I should have said ... If you restructure you can put that money on the dummy years or extend him

But we wont have Ratliff in dead money next year or Livings ... Thats a little over 9 million right there. He would basically take both of their sports in dead money in 2015
Even if you move that 10 million to next year ( which would make him cost 15.3 million to cut ( make it post June 1st 7.65 million is still less that Ratliff and Livings hit in dead money this year

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for me .... and not with the injuries this defense has had the past 2 years.

With Ware what I should have said ... If you restructure you can put that money on the dummy years or extend him

But we wont have Ratliff in dead money next year or Livings ... Thats a little over 9 million right there. He would basically take both of their sports in dead money in 2015
Even if you move that 10 million to next year ( which would make him cost 15.3 million to cut ( make it post June 1st 7.65 million is still less that Ratliff and Livings hit in dead money this year

Even with placing the money on the dummy years during the restructure it still has to be counted for. So if you cut him it's dead money. Like I said only way I restructure is if we extend him. I'd try to force a pay cut instead.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with placing the money on the dummy years during the restructure it still has to be counted for. So if you cut him it's dead money. Like I said only way I restructure is if we extend him. I'd try to force a pay cut instead.

oh I know it's still dead money ... Just saying it's no different than we we have in dead money right now going into this year.

It's dead money in a future year with a higher salary cap

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Spencer would be a gamble. His Knee is probably shot. Let's not overpay Hatcher who will be 32 this season. Time to draft replacements. I think you try and get Kareem Martin. The rotation of Martin and Selvie would be a great one. A DT to also consider is Daquan Jones. He is massive and can collapse the pocket. Would love to see us take Donald,Martin and Jones in that order. Marinelli would turn them into a nice line.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dallas Cowboy way has been to do exactly what you outlined and it screws us over and over. I can't believe you guys still think that because the Math works it is something to consider. Its stupid, short sighted and it seems the "brain trust" has finally realized this. Keep doing it and next year at this time we'll be $30M over and the year after $35M. So, no we don't do half of that. We need to take on as much of the Romo hit as we can this year for example so that if it is time to cut him due to injury or performance sometime soon it won't cripple us. Now of course we have to restructure him, but we don't move all of that money into out years. We need to stop kicking the can down the road.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant can go either way. I was a little disappointed in him, but I think he can be useful on early downs. Right now he is likely behind Lee, Carter, Wilbur and Holloman. Then he is fighting with a few other guys that we signed this year during the year, plus Simms and Albright...all of whom are cheaper and likely better on STs. If we don't draft a LB he has a chance to fight for a spot. If we do I think he's gone. If I had to bet I'd say he's gone, but he certainly could help if he ends up making team. We need depth.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant can go either way. I was a little disappointed in him, but I think he can be useful on early downs. Right now he is likely behind Lee, Carter, Wilbur and Holloman. Then he is fighting with a few other guys that we signed this year during the year, plus Simms and Albright...all of whom are cheaper and likely better on STs. If we don't draft a LB he has a chance to fight for a spot. If we do I think he's gone. If I had to bet I'd say he's gone, but he certainly could help if he ends up making team. We need depth.

If he gets beat out by someone in camp.... Then I'm fine with letting him walk.
I think if we draft a linebacker in the draft its going to be someone to fight with Carter. It's wont be replace Durant or anything on that side of the ball.

I just want depth and training camp competition. He's damn sure good enough to make one of the young guys fight to take the spot...... and thats what they should have to do

and currently I don't see him behind anyone on that side of the ball .... I think if the season started today he is the starter.