• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Canadian and American Friends

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
i read yesterday that the fire was the size of Rhode Island.
that's fucking nuts

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highway 63 is fully open for the first time in a month. A four day staged re-entry for people to check out their homes etc. starts today.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highway 63 is fully open for the first time in a month. A four day staged re-entry for people to check out their homes etc. starts today.

the bros of Fort Mac are celebrating!

:L

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate it when a couple of rotten Fort Mac apples spoil the oil barrels.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a pretty bad wildfire in the West Kelowna area, after all the hot dry weather we've had lately, that place is likely a tinderbox.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts and prayers to the folks in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, stay safe folks, pictures look like the town has been devastated by fire.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts and prayers to the folks in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, stay safe folks, pictures look like the town has been devastated by fire.

Such a great little place too. A bit grown up and commercialized thanks to Dolly Parton's theme park, but there are some really great places to go that aren't terribly commercialized. Beautiful drives and hiking.

And one of the best Classic Car museums I have ever been to in Sevierville, about 10 miles away.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such a great little place too. A bit grown up and commercialized thanks to Dolly Parton's theme park, but there are some really great places to go that aren't terribly commercialized. Beautiful drives and hiking.

And one of the best Classic Car museums I have ever been to in Sevierville, about 10 miles away.
That may be a bit of an understatement, at least for the center of Gatlinburg (would it be fair to call it downtown :noidea:).

The surrounding areas offer some of the most beautiful camping on the east coast though.

I was pleased that the aquarium didn't get destroyed though. Poor fish don't ever expect to die in a fire. Unless they live in Lake Erie.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Listen, I'm not against you,' Jane Fonda tells Fort McMurray resident during parking lot squabble

"No, it's exactly the time," Fonda said, when asked about the timing. "In California, we are seeing flooding. We are seeing fires that are burning up whole communities.

"We watched Fort McMurray burn, and it was so painful for us. But it's a part of global warming."

Someone smack Barbarella with a goddamn umbrella please.

I forgot to put in my 2 cents yesterday, but here goes - Yeah, we get it Jane, you don't like the oilsands, Leo already did his spiel last year as well. I'm just curious, are you also making visits to places like Texas and Oklahoma where they are fracking like crazy? How about North Dakota? Or is it just non-US oil interests that need to be demonized?

The bottom line is that oil isn't going away anytime soon, at least in my lifetime (and probably my kids lifetimes as well). That said, I think the world (except for the orange terror in the White House) recognizes that we need to move to renewable energy sources and do out best to protect the environment while acknowledging that just simply turning off the oil spigots is not an answer either.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to put in my 2 cents yesterday, but here goes - Yeah, we get it Jane, you don't like the oilsands, Leo already did his spiel last year as well. I'm just curious, are you also making visits to places like Texas and Oklahoma where they are fracking like crazy? How about North Dakota? Or is it just non-US oil interests that need to be demonized?

The bottom line is that oil isn't going away anytime soon, at least in my lifetime (and probably my kids lifetimes as well). That said, I think the world (except for the orange terror in the White House) recognizes that we need to move to renewable energy sources and do out best to protect the environment while acknowledging that just simply turning off the oil spigots is not an answer either.
Most of the eastern Rust Belt is one giant fracking plain right now and she lives a short drive away from that. Shit, emissions the automobiles on the island of Manhattan alone far outweigh that of the oil sands. It's visible and it's ugly and that's why it gets this kind of attention from outsiders.

I find it amusing that the conversation when it comes to resource extraction almost always turns to indigenous rights. As if local bands haven't made a bloody killing off land leases in the area.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rachel is not a fan...

"I would suggest if someone was going to come to Alberta ... [and] fly over a city that is going through a significant economic downturn, that's just been through the largest natural disaster in the history of Canada, and then lecture them about where they should get jobs elsewhere, first of all, that's super tone deaf," Notley said.

"But secondly, I would suggest that dining out on your celebrity is something that one ought to also pair with knowledge and research. She failed to do that."

Notley said Fonda's visit earned more media attention than it deserved, given the fact the Oscar-winning actress and long-time activist made it "very clear she did not know what she was talking about."

Jane Fonda 'dining out on celebrity' but starved for facts, Alberta premier says

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rachel is not a fan...

"I would suggest if someone was going to come to Alberta ... [and] fly over a city that is going through a significant economic downturn, that's just been through the largest natural disaster in the history of Canada, and then lecture them about where they should get jobs elsewhere, first of all, that's super tone deaf," Notley said.

"But secondly, I would suggest that dining out on your celebrity is something that one ought to also pair with knowledge and research. She failed to do that."

Notley said Fonda's visit earned more media attention than it deserved, given the fact the Oscar-winning actress and long-time activist made it "very clear she did not know what she was talking about."

Jane Fonda 'dining out on celebrity' but starved for facts, Alberta premier says
She sees votes lol.

(not that she's wrong)