• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can Warren Moon do everyone a favor and shut the hell up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously I feel like every year he pulls out the race card.

For those of you unaware Warren Moon recently stated that he feels the NFL has a bias towards African American QBs.

Warren Moon sees biases hurting black quarterbacks | ProFootballTalk

This is not the first time he has expressed his opinion that Whitey is screwing over black players. I know he has done it at least one other time in the past and believe he has done it prior to that.

I find it interesting that Warren Moon is seriously expressing the fact that he believes racism is prevalent in a sport that is roughly 90% African American. QB is the only position that is not predominately black.

Can anyone name a white starting CB? But I assume Warren Moon has no problem with the lack of "diversity" at CB, or HB.

Not to mention I cannot believe that Warren Moon thinks black QBs are being discriminated against. Geno Smith has a good chance of being the first QB selected in the NFL draft. Some say that E.J. Manuel will be the 2nd QB selected. Not to mention last year the #2 player selected was... Robert Griffin! Who last time I checked was African American. Year before that? I believe the #1 overall pick was... Cam Newton! Who happens to play QB, and is... Yep you guessed it! African American!

If there is anyone on these boards of color who would like to comment on this I'd really like to hear your opinion. I can't speak for everyone but if I was African American I would seriously cringe at things like this because I feel the whole race topic in the NFL which is predominately black, is a bit ridiculous and uncalled for.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EDIT: I said QB is the only position that is not predominately black, I forgot kicker and punter. I guess Warren Moon forgot to mention that as well...

nk12thman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but what do you expect from a Husky?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warren Moon would do well to worry about his own problems. I could never stand that big mouth when he was playing. I wonder if he realizes that his arrests have cost him all credibility and no one really would have cared about his opinion to start with?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a Moon fan since I first watched him play at UW. When he came to play for the Huskies it was in large part because no other major school would recruit him to play QB. Sure, lots wanted him, but wanted him to change to another position and all he wanted was to play QB. Don James was in his first couple of seasons and took a huge risk in taking an unknown black QB. The media was all over him, the alum were not pleased, and there were more than boos for this new JC transfer QB. Husky stadium was a buzz with racial slurs. Were we all racist? Of course not. The NW isn't a huge hot bed of racial tension, but you could tell many didn't think a black QB had the 'smarts' to play the position at a high level.

Well most of us old enough to remember know what happened next. James stuck to his guns and said he refused to let hatred and bigotry get in the way of him putting who he thought gave his team the best chance of winning out on the field. Moon over came a fairly average first season to take the Huskies to the Rose Bowl and beat Michigan in his last season. If you read his book or have heard him speak he often talked about what it was like for his family to sit the stands watching him play for the U and having to listen to all of that racism garbage.

Then what happened? Despite his crazy skills he couldn't find a single NFL team that would take him. There were no black QB's back then in the pros. He went up to Canada and ended up winning the grey cup something like all but one year he was up there? He was forced to be exiled in Canada for a decade because of the rampant and persistent view that blacks are not smart enough to play QB.

Is he a little biased and why wouldn't he be? He is a HOF QB that missed half his career because of racism. He does bring it up and while it is better, it is anything but fair and even.

We have seen quite a few black QB's over the years, but often they are more the Vick/RGIII types that are known for being a dual threat runner/passer and are not given credit for running the offense the same as their white counterparts. I know a few people who think blacks can't QB and they always bring up that no black QB has ever won the SB. Truth is there was one in like '88, but they bring up the same thing about black head coaches. Trust me, I couldn't be in the same room as any of them when Willingham totally destroyed UW football as we knew it.

So, I may not be black, In fact I'm about as white as casper, but I fully understand what Warren is saying and where he is coming from. If you believe racism in sports is dead then good on ya. It means you are in the right place and don't know many who aren't, but I can assure you that those idiotic views are still very much alive and kicking. Not just from fans, but also those who run the NFL. How many black HC's are there? How many black owners? GM's? Presidents? Look around the league at those who run it and tell me there is racial equality. Why do they have the rooney rule? Because qualified black coaches often didn't even get to speak to those who hire coaches for the NFL.

I think you need to take another look around you my friend.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have a very difficult time believing that any organization the scale of an NFL team would fail to hire the best candidate for any job because he's black. All that matters is winning and if a Mongolian helps them win, they'll put him in the best position for him to do so. Apparently Moon is saying that an entire sport that is overwhelmingly dominated by blacks is so racist that they're in complicity to hold those same, exact blacks back from playing QB. Thanks, but no thanks. Not buying it.

Is he naming names or is it just evil whitey still?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer, if there is no racism in the NFL then why do they have to have the rooney rule? There is a difference between how many players are black in the league, and how many black QB's there are or how many are qualified and don't get taken. I've read what they have to say and while I do roll my eyes to some degree, I also see what they are saying. Black HC's and QB's do not get as much time to win as their white counterparts. That is, if you don't win fast as a black QB you are on the bench while they give more time to whites. Not my stats mind you and I haven't looked to see if they are right, but that is their platform and they have a lot of history to support the claims.

Still, the question here is why wouldn't anyone understand Moon being a bit biased given that he was forced to give up half his career in Canada over it? Can none of you understand what that might have done to his perspective? He had the best arm in his era and wasn't taken for ANY team in the league. How would you expect him to be after that? lol. Sheesh.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a Moon fan since I first watched him play at UW. When he came to play for the Huskies it was in large part because no other major school would recruit him to play QB. Sure, lots wanted him, but wanted him to change to another position and all he wanted was to play QB. Don James was in his first couple of seasons and took a huge risk in taking an unknown black QB. The media was all over him, the alum were not pleased, and there were more than boos for this new JC transfer QB. Husky stadium was a buzz with racial slurs. Were we all racist? Of course not. The NW isn't a huge hot bed of racial tension, but you could tell many didn't think a black QB had the 'smarts' to play the position at a high level.

Well most of us old enough to remember know what happened next. James stuck to his guns and said he refused to let hatred and bigotry get in the way of him putting who he thought gave his team the best chance of winning out on the field. Moon over came a fairly average first season to take the Huskies to the Rose Bowl and beat Michigan in his last season. If you read his book or have heard him speak he often talked about what it was like for his family to sit the stands watching him play for the U and having to listen to all of that racism garbage.

Then what happened? Despite his crazy skills he couldn't find a single NFL team that would take him. There were no black QB's back then in the pros. He went up to Canada and ended up winning the grey cup something like all but one year he was up there? He was forced to be exiled in Canada for a decade because of the rampant and persistent view that blacks are not smart enough to play QB.

Is he a little biased and why wouldn't he be? He is a HOF QB that missed half his career because of racism. He does bring it up and while it is better, it is anything but fair and even.

We have seen quite a few black QB's over the years, but often they are more the Vick/RGIII types that are known for being a dual threat runner/passer and are not given credit for running the offense the same as their white counterparts. I know a few people who think blacks can't QB and they always bring up that no black QB has ever won the SB. Truth is there was one in like '88, but they bring up the same thing about black head coaches. Trust me, I couldn't be in the same room as any of them when Willingham totally destroyed UW football as we knew it.

So, I may not be black, In fact I'm about as white as casper, but I fully understand what Warren is saying and where he is coming from. If you believe racism in sports is dead then good on ya. It means you are in the right place and don't know many who aren't, but I can assure you that those idiotic views are still very much alive and kicking. Not just from fans, but also those who run the NFL. How many black HC's are there? How many black owners? GM's? Presidents? Look around the league at those who run it and tell me there is racial equality. Why do they have the rooney rule? Because qualified black coaches often didn't even get to speak to those who hire coaches for the NFL.

I think you need to take another look around you my friend.

I think you bring up a good point about Moon's background possibly playing an impact on how he views things but other than that I couldn't disagree more with you.

I feel the Rooney Rule is an absolute joke and if I was a coach of color I would deny any interviews that were arranged in an attempt to please that rule.

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry. If one thing is true in life it's that when it comes to green, black and white don't matter anymore. If you seriously think that an NFL owner is going to select a white head coach over a candidate of color who is more qualified then you are dead wrong. In the NFL it's about wins and money.

Okay, there are not a lot of black head coaches, so what? I don't understand why a coach's race even matters. There are also not many white WRs, CBs, HBs, FBs, TEs, OL, DL, LB or S. You don't hear anyone crying about that, do you? Or the lack of Asian players? Or the lack of Latino players? Why is it that only black players/head coaches are being singled out in a league predominately black?

If there was a bias against NFL QBs then why was Robert Griffin selected #2 in 2012? Cam Newton selected #1 in 2011? Despite extreme concerns over his work ethic and accuracy, JaMarcus Russell was selected #1 overall in 2007 and I can promise you it was not because of his athletic ability. In 2006 Vince Young was selected #3 overall (1st QB taken, if not for Mario Williams and Reggie Bush who were both considered very rare talents, Young would have gone #1)

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer, if there is no racism in the NFL then why do they have to have the rooney rule? There is a difference between how many players are black in the league, and how many black QB's there are or how many are qualified and don't get taken. I've read what they have to say and while I do roll my eyes to some degree, I also see what they are saying. Black HC's and QB's do not get as much time to win as their white counterparts. That is, if you don't win fast as a black QB you are on the bench while they give more time to whites. Not my stats mind you and I haven't looked to see if they are right, but that is their platform and they have a lot of history to support the claims.

Still, the question here is why wouldn't anyone understand Moon being a bit biased given that he was forced to give up half his career in Canada over it? Can none of you understand what that might have done to his perspective? He had the best arm in his era and wasn't taken for ANY team in the league. How would you expect him to be after that? lol. Sheesh.

The reason the "Rooney rule" is in place is the same reason Affirmative Action is in place. People don't realize that the causes for African American inability to achieve high level positions is not due to race, racism or anything like that. People tend not to realize that the main reason African Americans don't earn as much, go to college as much or achieve as much as other racial groups in the United States is not due to racial inferiority, being oppressed or anything like that. It's due to larger sociological forces.

If you've ever talked to a person of color who went to grad school or achieved a high level position in their career I promise you that if you ask them what held them back the most, they will say it is their own people. For some reason among African Americans and other cultural groups, having aspirations to be a doctor, lawyer or accountant makes them "White Washed", or "trying to be white". This peer pressure typically causes any aspirations among African Americans in low income situations to vanish.

So if you want the "real reason" for a lack of NFL owners, GMs and coaches of color take a look at how African Americans treat people of their own kind who decide to pick up a book and study instead of trying to emulate Lil Wayne, Drake and Nicki Minaj.

Lack of "diversity" at administrative levels in the NFL is due to cultural issues among African Americans. Not because they are discriminated against or being oppressed.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look, I never said I agree with Moon or those who see things his way. I just said I understand it.

But why does the color of the HC or GM matter? Come on man, even a white guy like me can see how that rolls. They do all of the hiring of players right? Connect those dots on your own.

Yes, the NFL is a big money industry, but if those running the teams have even just some racism in them wouldn't it impact who they take in leadership positions?

Whether or not you or I agree, there is a view that is held by a vocal group out there that racism keeps people of color out of key positions like QB and HC. I see both sides and frankly don't care much either way. Was just pointing out that Moon has an agenda and who would blame him. We haven't walked a mile in his shoes.

He came to the aid of Newton and has stood up for other black QB's. I have no problem with it as I have also seen him be critical of both black and white QB's. He has been there to support Keith Price, but he has also been critical of him as well. As long as he isn't just pimping blacks and propping them up at all costs I have no issues with his views.

I also don't care if he ever speaks, but who doesn't like that he still helps out all of the QB's at UW? He doesn't just help the blacks ones out. Having a HOF QB on your sidelines is awesome.

Moon isn't the best NFL commentator, but he isn't exactly a Ron Fairly either.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Warren Moon got 9 year with the Oilers
Randall Cunningham got 10 years with the Eagles
Steve McNair got 10 years with with Oilers/Titans
Donovan McNabb got 10 years with the Eagles
Daunte Culpepper got 7 years with the Vikings
Vick got 6 years with the Eagles until he went to prison.

What other black QBs out there should have got more time?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it some of you don't read well?

I said I don't share their views. I was just pointing out what their views are. Why question me over it? lol

Why don't you ask one of them? THEY say they can show you where white QB's were given more chances than black ones. Can I name any black QB's who weren't given enough chances? No, but that's because I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. I just say I don't diss on people who have a different view of the world when I haven't walked a mile in their shoes.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't say there is no racism in the NFL.

I just refuse to believe that for some odd reason these racists have all colluded to hold blacks back from playing QB and being the HC. There's no chance that any team in the NFL refuses to let a black man be their starting QB or HC if they believe he's their best option to win.

Warren Moon is disgusting. Has he no shame? Just exactly who does he think he is? And please, no more about him being a pitiful victim of the proverbial plantation owner. I don't think I can stomach much more of that.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to read Warren Moon's ceaseless bitching about rampant racism but I'm curious; does he mention facts? Names? Dates? Who exactly is involved, whose specifically has been held back by racist conspirators? Or again, is it just "whitey?" If you can't tell, he really makes me sick. What a disgusting hypocrite Warren Moon is.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say there is no racism in the NFL.

I just refuse to believe that for some odd reason these racists have all colluded to hold blacks back from playing QB and being the HC. There's no chance that any team in the NFL refuses to let a black man be their starting QB or HC if they believe he's their best option to win.

Warren Moon is disgusting. Has he no shame? Just exactly who does he think he is? And please, no more about him being a pitiful victim of the proverbial plantation owner. I don't think I can stomach much more of that.
Is that what I said? I said I understand why he would have his views when he was forced to play in another country for several years despite his probably having the best arm in football.

I watched a show on one of the sports channels a few years back about his career and views. I watched a few of those with other athletes and Moon wasn't the only one to bring up race in the NFL. I don't remember all of the details so it would be hard for me to add any depth to a conversation about it. As I said, I don't really have a dog in this fight.

To me Moon was a great QB and his story helped launch Don James to an elite status. Watching him play for the oilers all those years was always interesting. He had one hell of an arm. Obviously his legal issues are bad and he isn't a very good commentator. I don't make excuses for him.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. :suds:

It seems to me that Warren Moon is a coward and a liar and until he names names, I'm sticking with my opinion. He's beaten this horse to death for years now and I guess it's time for him spew some more bitterness in his valiant and tireless campaign to liberate the black man. :rollseyes:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to read Warren Moon's ceaseless bitching about rampant racism but I'm curious; does he mention facts? Names? Dates? Who exactly is involved, whose specifically has been held back by racist conspirators? Or again, is it just "whitey?" If you can't tell, he really makes me sick. What a disgusting hypocrite Warren Moon is.

He did list lots of examples in his book and interviews. I just don't remember any as I wasn't paying that much attention. I do remember thinking at the time that I had never thought there was any real racism problems in the NFL, but it did strike me when they said there were no black owners, GM's and only one black H
C at that time that i could see where that might be something people would question and where it would leave room for racism. That's not saying it creates it everywhere on every team, but that it could have an impact somewhere. To what degree I don't know and don't really care. I just want to see some good football and couldn't care less what color the QB's are that are playing in that game.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think even Reverend Jesse Jackson is absurd enough to try to convince society that the NFL is racist. Imagine trying to explain to someone from the Civil War era that the league is racist when 90% of players are black and are being paid incredible amounts of money to play a game.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The man is paid well here in the northwest and golfs all the time at a very white country club.

I used to hang out at Glendale and worked there when I was young and the then Sonics owners had a separate card room and some nights I would fill in for bar there,they only allowed one employee,male there,you wouldn't believe the stuff those guys say,and it was nothing about race it was money.

One guy worth 100 millions bitched that he had to pay 700$ to go his uncles funeral but get this he inherited over 20 million,these guys like that it's all about the money and Moon hangs out with those guys now so he is just using to get some bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.