• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Camp report 8/21 Final report

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From CoachO @ Stltoday

------------------------

Players not participating: Jemelle Cudjo; Matt Giordano; Sammy Brown; Sean Hooey; Eugene Sims; Darian Stewart; Jabara Williams & Lance Kendricks were both in full pads, but did NOT participate in TEAM DRILLS

Rodger Saffold participated in with 1st unit, including TEAM DRILLS.

TJ McDonald back and included in All TEAM DRILLS

Tavon Austin returns to practice FULL participation

In the presence of “greatness”: I had the privilege of taking in this year’s final Camp Practice with the likes of “The Hammer” “Old Larry” and “SOKA”

Offensive Line:
1st Unit: Long C. Williams Wells Dahl Saffold
2nd Unit: Barksdale S. Smith Barnes B. Jones B. Washington
LG rotation holds true for another day

Today: 2nd unit QB was Austin Davis was taking the 2nd unit reps; Kellen Clemens back to 3rd unit

Theme of the day: FULL PADS, and lets RUN THE BALL

• More emphasis on the running game today, than in any previous practice.

o First time that they were pulling Guards, and showing multiple looks in running game.

o Plenty of TWO TE sets; Lots of “2 back” sets (with FB)

• All FIVE RBs got carries in running game today;
o Daryl Richardson & Isaiah Pead took 1st unit reps
o Zac Stacy & Bennie Cunningham took 2nd unit reps, with Chase Reynolds rotating in

• Seemed to have found the intermediate passing game… Quick, Givens and Cook EXCEL in the 15 – 18 yard range

• Brian Quick was VERY physical in running deep routes; battled thru contact, and used his size and strength on a couple of passes

• Sam Bradford took a DEEP shot with Chris Givens only to have it Intercepted by Courtland Finnegan. Ball was in the air 60+ yards. IMPRESSIVE THROW, and even more IMPRESSIVE PLAY by Finnegan

• Rodney McLeod AND TJ McDonald looked VERY good in coverage; seemed to have better communication then with Stewart

• Look for Zac Stacy to be featured this week vs. Denver HE and Isaiah Pead took the bulk of the reps out of the backfield for the second day in a row.

• Nick Johnson took 2nd team reps (rotating with Stedman Bailey) for the 1st time

SPECIAL TEAMS: PUNT TEAMS
Prepared for “special formations” out of the punt team on defense.

Worked on FAKE PUNTS (quick snap to up back) Chase Reynolds, Matt Daniels, Cody Davis

o Tavon Austin, Andrew Helmick and Nick Johnson returning punts

“Dizzy bat” drill: Rookies got to experience what is shaping up as a training camp tradition. “relay race” with rookies divided into teams, lots of fun, ice water baths, and seeing finely tuned athletes falling all over themselves

CAMP OBSERVATIONS: Final thoughts

• This is my 4th training camp and there is no comparison between this team and ANY of the previous teams I have seen. They have gone from arguably one of the OLDEST and SLOWEST teams to one of (if not) the YOUNGEST and FASTEST team in 2 years.

o The TEAM SPEED is the thing that jumps out at you.

o This roster is so much deeper and there will be some pretty good football players NOT make it thru the cutdown. That hasn’t been the case in years past. Where it was more a case of KEEPING some NOT so good players just to fill out the roster.

o The list of rookies and UDFA’s once again is an impressive collection of guys who have shown the ability to play at this level.

o I can see the Practice Squad being a list of “in house” players, for the first time comprised exclusively with players that have been here. Not much need to raid other teams roster to complete our squad.

• Plenty of competition at multiple positions, which again, is a change in philosophy around here.

o Safety; RB; WR; LG; LB (depth); TE
o Core Special Teams
o Kick Returner

Camp Surprises (players who have stood out, or exceeded “expectation”)

• Offensive Line:
o Joe Barksdale;
o Jake Long (looks to be all the way back);
o Tim Barnes one of the MOST IMPROVED players on the entire roster

• Wide Receivers:
o Chris Givens;

o Brian Quick (looks like the light has finally come on) with Kudos to Torry Holt, ever since he was in camp B. Quick has been noticeably improved, especially with the physical aspect, using his size and strength

o Justin Veltung (shows a grittiness, and looks to be a versatile player)

o Andrew Helmick (local kid made his mark early, and looks like the real deal)

• Tight Ends:

o Jared Cook (entered with high expectations,, EXCEEDED them all)

o Cory Harkey (better all-around athlete than many realize)

o Phillip Lutzenkirchen (not the biggest, fastest, most athletic, but the kid is a “football player”)

• Running Backs:

o Daryl Richardson (displays a burst and explosiveness that he didn’t have last year)

o Bennie Cunningham (showed early on that the “game is not too big for him)

• Quarterbacks:

o Sam Bradford (looks better than he has in any of his previous Training Camps; obviously in control of this offense, and more importantly, this team)

• Defensive Line:

o Michael Brockers (his physical makeover is remarkable; looks to be unblockable when he wants to be)

o Matt Conrath (physically bigger, stronger and is making an impact when he is on the field)

o Jason Brodine (looks like Conrath’s little brother; the similarities in their game is remarkable, he is what Conrath was a year ago physically, shows very good instincts playing inside)

o William Hayes

• Linebackers:

o Alec Ogletree (his quickness and athleticism is off the charts; will dominate as he grows more comfortable in his responsibilities; will EXCEL in man coverage, may struggle in zone)

o Ray Armstrong (very athletic, but VERY RAW as a LB; loads of potential to develop should be a core special team contributor)

o Daren Bates (undersized, but very physical LB, looks to make the team as core Special Team player)

• Corner Backs:

o Janoris Jenkins (“BPOT” = Best Player on Team)

o Brandon McGee (plays bigger than his size, very aggressive, better in coverage than expected)

• Safeties:

o TJ McDonald (good grasp of defense, shows flashes of athleticism, and better than expected in coverage)

o Rodney McLeod (best instincts among ALL safeties, just seems to make plays)

o Cody Davis (better than expected instincts, anticipates plays, very good tackler)

o Rashard Hall (tall, rangy athlete, quietly has been one the camp surprises)

CONCERNS:
• Back up QB

o Neither Kellen Clemens or Austin Davis has shown the decision making ability in this offense, or the consistent accuracy to be comfortable as the #2

• Linebacker Depth

o With Jo-Lonn Dunbar’s suspension, this unit is the single biggest concern in terms of depth, in both experience or ability

o Counting on Jabara Williams to come back healthy and contribute speaks volumes about the lack of depth

Overall inexperience:

o Leagues youngest team

o How long will it take for young players (Ogletree, McDonald; Austin; Quick; McLoed) to settle in and be productive?

Schedule:

o Potential is there with the early schedule to be a BETTER TEAM, and not show up in wins/losses

o Key game could be the Dallas game in week 3

There are two different type of people that go to camp practices. Those who think the Rams look like a playoff team and those who think we'll end up 4-12.
The way I see it is this team is a work in progress. I figure we'll finish 8-8 maybe 9-7. With all these young guys mistakes are going to kill us this year and people have to realize that. I feel next year will be our big year. Guys will be in their 2nd and 3rd years. Players like Quick, Pead, Austin and Bradford will have to be at the top of their games. If their not they might have to think long and hard about where this team is heading. Here's to hoping the best possible outcome for this season, may the Rams play hard and stay healthy!!
Go Rams!!!!:suds:

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn your making me excited :S

somebody please keep me on the ground

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of good stuff here. Jake Long playing like an Elite LT, Jared Cook being productive and Brian Quick looking like a real receiver could really go a long way in showing us what Bradford is really capable of.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im ready for some G.D. football.......:agree:

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem guys, I'm just getting these reports from STL boards and bringing them here. This is the only site that I can stand at the moment because all the other sites have been overrun with trolls. It's awful.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem guys, I'm just getting these reports from STL boards and bringing them here. This is the only site that I can stand at the moment because all the other sites have been overrun with trolls. It's awful.

Well, I guess Larry had to have somewhere to go !! :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, there are reports out of Buffalo that, even though Safety Jarius Byrd signed a franchise tag offer with Buffalo, he is now demanding a trade. Would that not be sweet to have in the same backfield as T.J. McDonald? Here is the story on SB Nation.

On Tuesday, reports surfaced that the Buffalo Bills had been granted a roster exemption for recently-signed free safety Jairus Byrd. It appears that a few feathers were ruffled in the process.

John Wawrow of The Associated Press reports that the exemption will not extend into the regular season, instead covering the Bills' final two preseason games. Bills GM Doug Whaley apparently requested for the exemption to extend into the regular season, but that request was apparently denied.

Here's the thing, though: Wawrow also reports that the exemption does not kick in until August 27, the day that NFL teams must reduce their rosters to 75 players. (Ian Rapoport of NFL.com reported the same thing earlier Tuesday.) The Bills only have one preseason game after August 27 - two days later, at home against Detroit in their exhibition finale. As Wawrow presents it, the exemption lasts two games, but also only lasts from August 27-31 (the latter date being the cut-down day to 53 players), in which the Bills play one game. Good luck figuring that one out, because we're done trying.

What seems more certain is that Byrd won't be missing any paychecks: he appears to have strategically signed his franchise tender far enough in advance of these convoluted rules to avoid regular season exemption, and thus he'll earn every penny of his $6.916 million franchise tender.

Hey Snead, dangle Stewart and Some of our stiffs lineman like Nyseke and say Shelly Smith and a fifth rounder for Byrd!!

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would say yes but then the injury bug might hit use again and we might need those linemen :l

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a nice idea but the values are way wrong and we don't have cap space.