• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Byfield gone?

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a package for Chychrun? I mean sure but not really the type of dman needed imo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every rumor I see today says Brandt Clarke is main piece in a deal to get Chychrun, which I really hate. Clarke feels like the next Doughty, while Chychrun's only major selling point is he logs a ton of Arizona minutes on a good contract, so Oliver Ekman-Larssen 2.0 to me. If the price comes down, do it, but the Kings aren't really in a hurry, so just get a lesser solve, or wait until summer. They also need goaltending seemingly more than defense right now.

I will say, with Moore and Kaliyev back last night, Kings forward depth looks pretty strong. They have a legitimately deep forward core.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings saying they called Brandt Clarke to tell him there is no truth to the rumors and he won't be traded.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing Clarke and Byfield are untouchable. If they can get Chychrun and keep those 2, I will be thrilled. I don't consider any of the other prospects as untouchables.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing Clarke and Byfield are untouchable. If they can get Chychrun and keep those 2, I will be thrilled. I don't consider any of the other prospects as untouchables.

I'm in this boat. If a deal can be made, then do it, but you can't move Byfield or Clarke.

I saw one page say that in the summer Blake offered Villardi, a 1st, and a lesser prospect, and it wasn't enough. Not sure how true that is.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be in the minority here but I am not sold on Byfield. He's had a bumpy start to his career for one reason or another (and I hate reading the "then Covid happened" when defending his lack of progress - every prospect had to deal with that, not just him so scratch that one) but almost 3 years after he has been drafted we should be seeing more from him.

Kopitar was drafted in 2005 and by 2008 he was putting up 25+ goals and 60+ points. I know it was a different place in time for the Kings, and Kopitar didn't have anyone ahead of him but I'm strictly talking about the skill and dominance, it was starting to show. I do not see that with Byfield.

Forget about #1 Lafreniere or #3 Stutzle, guys who were picked after Byfield and have played less games have been more productive (#5 Sanderson D Ottawa, #8 Quinn RW Buffalo, #10 Perfetti C Jets for example) for their teams. I know we are all hoping he becomes that elite 1C to replace Kopitar, but I'm seeing too much of a Brian Boyle in his future vs an Anze Kopitar which would be devastating to this franchise considering where he was picked and who else was available. Add in 2019 and Turcotte which is not looking good, and yikes.

I'd give him maybe one more year and then consider moving him if the right deal came along.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be in the minority here but I am not sold on Byfield. He's had a bumpy start to his career for one reason or another (and I hate reading the "then Covid happened" when defending his lack of progress - every prospect had to deal with that, not just him so scratch that one) but almost 3 years after he has been drafted we should be seeing more from him.

Kopitar was drafted in 2005 and by 2008 he was putting up 25+ goals and 60+ points. I know it was a different place in time for the Kings, and Kopitar didn't have anyone ahead of him but I'm strictly talking about the skill and dominance, it was starting to show. I do not see that with Byfield.

Forget about #1 Lafreniere or #3 Stutzle, guys who were picked after Byfield and have played less games have been more productive (#5 Sanderson D Ottawa, #8 Quinn RW Buffalo, #10 Perfetti C Jets for example) for their teams. I know we are all hoping he becomes that elite 1C to replace Kopitar, but I'm seeing too much of a Brian Boyle in his future vs an Anze Kopitar which would be devastating to this franchise considering where he was picked and who else was available. Add in 2019 and Turcotte which is not looking good, and yikes.

I'd give him maybe one more year and then consider moving him if the right deal came along.
You're definitely not in the minority, before his last stint on top line I was thinking bust. He is at least showing signs here and there of some potential. I think it's early yet. Some guys seem to get it right away like Stutzle, Beniers, Hughes, etc. But I think the more common trajectory is taking a few years to figure it out. I feel like a lot of guys are figuring it out right around the age of 24-25. Tage Thompson would be a prime example. Sticking with the Buffalo theme Dahlin would be another. It's like those bigger guys need time to fill out their frame or get their swagger, not sure what it is but they just look and play different once they get it. Byfield still looks like a gangly kid to me and may just need a little time to get some adult muscles and swagger.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will be a bust as a 2nd pick, but still be a solid pro player. I was mad we didnt take stuetzle and i still think that was a mistake, he looked nhl ready from the get go and thats what LA needed imo. If he is on this Kings team that would give them lots of options and he is fun to watch.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching this NJ game, wow is this guy either slow as dirt (processing) or simply not a good pick.

Completely ineffective, doesn't show much except for a flashy skating style and a ton of hype but nothing substantial. Time to move this guy onto the "available for trade" list. Very disappointing.

And I agree he will be a solid pro, just not worthy of a 2nd overall (like Lewis being a 17th overall). He will be a good B6 player at the end of his career and should be moved as a part of a major deal to improve the team while he still has perceived value.

Last edited:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will be a bust as a 2nd pick, but still be a solid pro player. I was mad we didnt take stuetzle and i still think that was a mistake, he looked nhl ready from the get go and thats what LA needed imo. If he is on this Kings team that would give them lots of options and he is fun to watch.

I was just reading an article yesterday redrafting 2020, and Byfield fell to 10th overall to Winnipeg while Stutzle went 1st overall to the Rangers and the Kings took Lucas Raymond at 2nd overall: Did the Rangers make the right pick at #1? Redrafting the 2020 NHL Draft

That is a significant drop, almost falling out of the top 10 but I cant say its unwarranted. I know big guys take somewhat longer, but he is moving at a snail's pace to where he will reach UFA by the time he reaches that potential everyone mentions. I just do not see that progression from him; he had some flashes and moments upon his initial return to the top line but he has gone completely stagnant the last month.

I would also add Kaliyev and Bjornfot to the available list. Kaliyev is a one trick PP pony, you can't spend the money or roster spot on a player like that and Bjornfot isn't developing at all either into the T4 shut down defender he was tagged to be. That was a reach as a pick as it was at 22nd overall in 2019.

My skepticism in Yanetti and Co. has only become more solidified with the string of picks since 2015 or so. No one has really developed into much of anything.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this guy going to do anything more than look like tap dancing Sammy Davis Jr on the ice? Not a racial reference, he just isn't showing anything. My God. Trade him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sold on Byfield either, BUT the timeline on Kings' prospects is just ridiculous, and it's too early to move him. I was ready to write-off Kempe and Villardi and they both came on late. Kempe in his 25-year old season, and Villardi in his 23-year old season. I am seeing Jack Hughes finally taking off this year for NJ, and they say that for these young guys who get drafted at 18 or so, you can expect them to add 10lbs per summer for awhile. So remember Jack Hughes went first overall and he honestly looked like he was 15 years old. They kept saying bust all of the time. Hughes looked better last year, and he looks really good this year. Byfield is 6'5 with good speed, so I just think where LA drafted him, and the fact that he is 20 years old, you have to see this through for a few more years as he puts on weight. It's not pretty, but it's like how they ran Muzzin in prime situations in 2013, and it paid off in 2014, that the experience up there is going to hopefully benefit him longterm.

Turcotte....that one sounds like injuries, but we had the same discussions for YEARS with Villardi. I don't think the Kings are in a super hurry right now, so I'd see what happens here to finish the year and if there are no deals, just address things in the summer. Their defense and goaltending are their issues and I actually think the forward group as a whole can compete with anyone.

They gave Quick more starts lately and it didn't work out last night. Trade deadline is in a week, and you can feel like the Kings don't love the idea of Copley being THE guy come playoff time, but they just cannot trust Quick either. If they go get a goalie, it really does feel like Quick is maybe done done. So you can see how that is tough spot to be in. I don't know what the move is. Just kick Quick to curb? They said Edler and Walker both minus 3 against NY, so I do think getting a solid defenseman might help a lot of this out. Not Chychrun costing 4 pieces, but a stay at home guy with some size to sort of add that element.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are much more optimistic than I am my friend. I was neutral on him when he was drafted, I didn't have a positive or negative feeling about him. But the more time that's passing, the less and less confidence I have seeing him. And its just more discouraging seeing article after article dropping him in redrafts let alone seeing his top 10 peers doing better than him regardless of where they have been placed or what state those respective franchises are in.

He simply has to show more than what he has. I understand he needs to learn the 200' game but he has been put in so many positions to succeed yet the results have been almost nil. The question marks about him are warranted and really true, he was tabbed as a project prior to his draft year.

I really hope I am wrong - and I have been many many times as you guys know - but I just don't see anything "franchise" about this guy at all. I see B6 stalwart with an occasional flash of the talent that made him a 2nd overall.

Even just watching him tonight vs the Habs, he doesn't stand out. Going to start calling him Hold Me Close My Tony Danza because he's the smallest 6'5" dude I've seen in some time.

=)~~

My stance still stands until he proves otherwise, give him until the end of 2023-24. At that point if there is not significant progress he should be moved to improve other areas. And if that happens, Yanetti and Co need to be fired immediately. They have not evaluated talent properly in many years compared to the years that led up to the Cup teams and blowing a 2nd overall pick is inexcusable after not having shots like that in over a decade.

Last edited:

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching the game last night vs the Caps. I missed parts of the game but the parts I did see with QB, didnt look too good. It was a nice assist he had but aside from that not much to be excited about.
There has been a lot of talk that people think he is a bust as a 2nd overall pick and that he may top out as a bottom 6 over his career. If thats the case, then why would management have him as an untouchable? I admit, I am not a scout by any means but do they really see something in him that the rest of us dont? Is it an ego thing that they cannot admit they made a mistake? Or, are we too impatient and he simply hasnt had enough time to develop?
I admit that I was hoping they picked him over Stutzle in hopes that he would be a Kopi pt2.
I dont get why management wouldnt offer him up in a package for one of the holes they have/had that would address those needs.