• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burns a shark!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the one good thing is that burns and seto were pretty much equal cost. That leaves the sharks with over 8M in cap space with goaltending and defense complete (we could use another top 4 dman, but the current 6 are pretty respectable). The top 6 forwards are all set too. I would guess that dougie will dip into the UFA pool to add a couple malhotra-type free agents to build a 3rd line and then let rooks fill out the 4th.

Maybe he'll resign burns in January at a good number and burns, like boyle, will become a long term piece of the puzzle. Dougie usually has a larger master plan in mind when he makes moves so we'll see...

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the one good thing is that burns and seto were pretty much equal cost. That leaves the sharks with over 8M in cap space with goaltending and defense complete (we could use another top 4 dman, but the current 6 are pretty respectable). The top 6 forwards are all set too. I would guess that dougie will dip into the UFA pool to add a couple malhotra-type free agents to build a 3rd line and then let rooks fill out the 4th.

Uhhh... So let's call it what it is and Burns is taking over for White (who isn't being re-signed).

How exactly is the defense all set?

And DP's got a post at the blog saying the Sharks need goaltending cause Stalock's recovery is long from that cut, etc.

I bet Dougie wishes he didn't treat Greiss like garbage last year... :L

Maybe he'll resign burns in January at a good number and burns, like boyle, will become a long term piece of the puzzle. Dougie usually has a larger master plan in mind when he makes moves so we'll see...

Burns won't re-sign... He'll be like Campbell and go get paid somewhere else.

Dougie gave away Seto/Coyle/1st round pick for uhh.. a 1-year rental and a 2nd round pick next year.

I give him a -5/10 for this trade. Makes the Flyers GM look like a fucking Nobel-prize winning genius with his moves yesterday.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From the Sharks website:

“I’m super excited to be able to stay in the organization,” Setoguchi said. “All the way from the players to management, it’s been one of the best situations I could’ve come into. San Jose is such a great place to play. The organization is great and the team is top-notch. All the way through, it’s the best place to play in the National Hockey League. I couldn’t be happier.

“We didn’t look at any other place,” Setoguchi added. “We wanted to get our deal done in San Jose.”

“He’s a very talented player that has shown what he’s capable of in the last half of the year and the playoffs,” Wilson said. “He’s an important piece that’s trending in the right direction. We’re happy to have this deal done.”

Man, that is fucking mean by dougie. Trading guys happens, but when you read these quotes, it sure must feel like a nasty stab in the back to seto. Wow...

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And PS... I don't even like Setoguchi *that* much... so it's not like I'm just devastated because of him leaving...

Trade is still terribad though.

ads_2006

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
we get a huge young offensive defensemen who we will resign, this cant be just a 1 year rental. No way in hell dougie lets him walk.

I'd like to see how seto performs without Marleau and Thornton

We still have Clowe, Pavs, Couture, and Heater. All those guys had at least 15 more points than Seto. I don't think Seto was that huge of a factor.

We have some space to sign some Malhotra type free agents who can make plays both ways.

This is a good deal IF we can resign burns

ads_2006

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if we would have resigned campbell, everyone would have wanted dougie's head on a stick

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we would have resigned campbell, everyone would have wanted dougie's head on a stick

At that kind of money? You betcha.

But this just in.... Burns won't re-sign at his current $3-3.25M/yr (or whatever it is) salary either. So Doug will have to pay for a raise, regardless.

It's Burns instead of White for next season, essentially.

I don't see how the Sharks got better today, really.

Maybe after I calm down a bit.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Soupy... he just waived his NTC to be traded to Florida? Craziness...

ads_2006

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

But this just in.... Burns won't re-sign at his current $3-3.25M/yr (or whatever it is) salary either. So Doug will have to pay for a raise, regardless.

I think D-Wilson is aware of that

I dont think he will mind paying 6-7 million for a top#1-2 Dman who is only 26. Soupy was 29 and wow, he actually waived his NTC.

Nitty comes off the books next year too. That money will go to Burns Fo Sho.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I'm in the minority here but I like the trade. Doug will sign Burns to a multi-year deal and he will be a force on the blue line for many years to come. I like Setoguchi but he is too streaky, still I feel like he will have a good career. Being able to acquire a young defenseman entering his prime like this is a rarirty. If White is signed, the defensive corps will be drastically upgraded from the start of last season. The late first round pick isnt a big deal to me and we will just have to play the waiting game with Charlie but I do kmow one thing and thats we DESPERATELY NEEDED some help on the blue line and today we got it.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I'm in the minority here but I like the trade. Doug will sign Burns to a multi-year deal and he will be a force on the blue line for many years to come. I like Setoguchi but he is too streaky, still I feel like he will have a good career. Being able to acquire a young defenseman entering his prime like this is a rarirty. If White is signed, the defensive corps will be drastically upgraded from the start of last season. The late first round pick isnt a big deal to me and we will just have to play the waiting game with Charlie but I do kmow one thing and thats we DESPERATELY NEEDED some help on the blue line and today we got it.

Where do you guys keep reading that there is ANY chance White will be re-signed?

Dougie himself (and DP and others) have all said there's little to no chance of that happening... because Braun/Demers are ready (and I'm sure White wants a decent raise), we have too many right-handed shots, blah blah blah.

Then he essentially does this White-for-Burns trade and gives up Seto/Coyle in the process...

It doesn't add up for me, sorry...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
well, dougie must think alot of some of the other guys currently in the system, his crew's late drafting ability, or in his ability to sign good FA's out of college. The one good thing is that the sharks seem as good at drafting in the 5th, 6th, or 7th round as they are in the 1st as well as signing FA's. Demers, Braun, and pavelski are all 7th rounders from 2003-2008 (with clowe a 6th rounder in '01, and murray 8th round in '99, Boyle undrafted...) , so not having a 1st is not necessary disastrous for the sharks. From 2004-2007, the sharks had 5 1st rounders and 3 of them were virtual busts (wishart, kaspar, petrecki) so late 1st rounders are not that valuable, which is also why you see detroit trade down for multiple later picks.

I'll try to reserve judgment until I see how burns looks in teal and how it plays out in the PO's and if burns sticks around.

ads_2006

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
and with Richards going to LA, I dont think Seto was going to help stop that offensive team.

here's what dougie said
Doug Wilson says Setoguchi signing unrelated to trade. Trade came up during draft, opportunity he had to take. Blog soon.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasnt aware of the White situation, either way Burns is an upgrade over White.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sharks better win a Cup in the next 2-3 years because this team doesn't have a future. It's very disappointing for me to think that this team could have both Etem and Rattie and could build around them 5 years from now.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

largely, you're right. However, Burns is, IMHO, much much better than white. I like white, but his really undersized and struggles to handle his own zone. Also, Burns is a better goals scorer with a solid shot from the point, something the sharks desperately lack.

Dougie sure seems to have overpaid, and it will be annoying if this deal doesnt work out and the sharks find themselves seriously lacking in the future department. Clearly dougie knows that he has a maximum of 2 or 3 years with the current core to get it done. He is feeling the heat and getting a little desperate. However, the guy has never missed the PO's, and has gotten to the WCF the last two years. His track record is pretty good, so I think we all have to reserve judgement to see how it works it out before trashing it just yet.

good for minny though. They needed to rebuild and I'm sure the minny fans are pleased.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No doubt we got a top d. I'm happy about that. But like everyone else I'm concerned about resigning him. That said I agree with some here that dougie knows more then we regarding the situation with burns.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasnt aware of the White situation, either way Burns is an upgrade over White.

I can agree with that... I think...

And I'm not trying to pick on you or anyone else here... but I just see it as White-for-Burns swap and giving away Seto/Coyle for free.

Easier solution would have been to re-sign White for same money... and keep Seto/Coyle (even if to trade them for something else... later on, etc.)

Dougie must have panicked and/or the Minnesota GM totally mind-controlled him during the draft and got him to agree to this shit...

ads_2006

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Didnt hear Dougie say this about soupy

We have six or seven top six forwards," he said. "And this type of player doesn't come around that often.

He believes we have some other forwards, we will be bringing them up from the minors

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt hear Dougie say this about soupy

He believes we have some other forwards, we will be bringing them up from the minors

Yeah, dude.. we heard it already... he thinks McGinn/Desjardens/Ferreiro/Vesce are those "top forwards".

He doesn't have much else that we haven't seen yet...

Oh and don't forget the greatness that is Torrey Fuckin' Mitchell is still there and ready to "step up" and chip in with his monster 1G/year... :L