• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Building my first PC

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I've decided to build my own computer instead of buying one as a xmas gift to myself.

Since I'm new to all this, I've been researching the past few months to look up parts for the computer. I was going for an all white build with LEDs for aesthetics so the majority of the parts are either white or black. I also wanted this machine to be future proof for the next few years. I'm mainly using this for 3d modeling, photoshop/art stuff, and video editing. I MIGHT do gaming on this in the future, but that is secondary to me.

Here's what I came up with.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hJtBTH

I already bought the case because Newegg had a really good sale for it this week.
Any computer enthusiasts think this is a worthwhile build?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of $ for your first attempt at building your own computer. Hope it works out for you.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start by getting the best and highest quality motherboard/cpu you can buy.

I hope the case you bought can accommodate it.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start by getting the best and highest quality motherboard/cpu you can buy.

I hope the case you bought can accommodate it.

Yeah the case is a full sized tower so there's plenty of room for everything. It's way bigger than the one I have now.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of $ for your first attempt at building your own computer. Hope it works out for you.

Yeah it's about $500 more than I wanted to spend but going cheap on computer parts can screw you over in the long run.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't skimp on power supply or cpu cooling with that LGA 2011 setup. You will be generating a good amount of heat with that setup. If you plan to overclock - I would definitely re-evaluate your choices on power and CPU cooler.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't skimp on power supply or cpu cooling with that LGA 2011 setup. You will be generating a good amount of heat with that setup. If you plan to overclock - I would definitely re-evaluate your choices on power and CPU cooler.

I don't really think I'll be overclocking since you usually do that for gaming.

I am getting an extra case fan for more air intake. Wouldn't that help?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32G ram is kind of overkill and I'd for sure look at water cooling the CPU, but that's my preference. I have a bunch of air cooled i7's deployed and they do ok. Really depends on what you are using the machine for. If you are going to have a high load on the CPU often then cooling is a huge deal.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your case has the setup for a 120mmx2 water cooling radiator mount I'd strongly suggest looking into one with what you state you are using it for. You should be able to push your CPU up to full throttle and see any real heat, but make sure you have good air flow around the rest of the chips near the CPU that normally rely on the CPU air cooler. Many MB's now have other ways of getting air around those components.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32G ram is kind of overkill and I'd for sure look at water cooling the CPU, but that's my preference. I have a bunch of air cooled i7's deployed and they do ok. Really depends on what you are using the machine for. If you are going to have a high load on the CPU often then cooling is a huge deal.

I'm kinda nervous about water cooling since they can leak and ruin your motherboard. I'm leaning towards a dual tower fan to help with higher temps when it overclocks.

32GB is overkill now but it's more for futureproofing than anything.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kinda nervous about water cooling since they can leak and ruin your motherboard. I'm leaning towards a dual tower fan to help with higher temps when it overclocks.

32GB is overkill now but it's more for futureproofing than anything.
I've been using self contained radiator/cpu coolers for many years and have never had one leak. It's different if you are doing a build your own setup with cooling for ram and graphics cards as well, but even then it's not hard to seal them tight. The fully self contained units simply don't leak that I've ever heard of. They never need coolant added or any sort of maintenance. They run for many years.

Again, the downside to water cooling is the need to pay attention to the temps on the components around the CPU. Not just the ram, but also those power related capacitors they put near the CPU to leach cooling off the air flow normally around that area. Those are also more prone to heat with tower air cooling. OEM is a fan that blows vertically which gives the most air flow to those items around the CPU and towers blow more over the top of them and not directly on them.

Unless you are in a fairly warm room it's not normally a problem. It's more about case design and what other options you have for air flow overall across that area and/or MB's that are designed for water cooling or with ways of dealing with water cooling such as the Asus sabertooth line or any other boards that have MIL specifications on them.

Your setup is probably fine. Just putting in my 2c as someone that builds PC's all the time and does it in situations that require rock stable performance.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every good PC starts with a solid foundation. You need a Mobo that can handle dual or more GPUs and a PSU that can handle 1000 watts and is gold to platinum rated. A lot of pre picked kits at NewEgg has those parts available.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always go water cooled over fans.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always run big air:

Good Air Cooling Case
Highly Rated CPU Cooler (air)
lapped HSF/IHS and Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra

Bullet Proof
I think water cooling is more consistent, just harder to install and if it breaks you can be fucked.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't discourage either way... both have their pluses and minuses.

My primary setup is very consistent - but, like with anything, it comes at a cost - the case $$$$

Simmion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I built my first one about 5 years ago. Thinking it is time to upgrade here soon. I bought top 1/4 products at the time, but not over the top. What should I replace first. I saw motherboard in the first couple comments. I have a giant PC case.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I built my first one about 5 years ago. Thinking it is time to upgrade here soon. I bought top 1/4 products at the time, but not over the top. What should I replace first. I saw motherboard in the first couple comments. I have a giant PC case.

Motherboard, CPU, PSU, GPU.