• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam May Be Asked to Step Down in Wake of FBI Probe

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BY MIKE CHIARI (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON APRIL 19, 2013
Bleacher Report

The FBI probe that has rocked Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam doesn't appear to be going away any time soon, and it could potentially cost him his stake in the franchise.

According to Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com, Haslam is being investigated for alleged fraud in relation to his company, Pilot Flying J. In a 120-page affidavit, Haslam was accused to withholding millions of dollars in rebates that are reportedly owed to trucking companies.

Grossi is also reporting that the NFL could potentially ask Haslam to remove himself from control while the investigation is ongoing.

While things obviously look grim for Haslam, there are options that could essentially keep him in power even if he isn't ultimately making the decisions. According to Grossi, a source suggests that Haslam could simply put a family member in charge until the investigation sorts itself out.

It's possible that Haslam would be banned from the team facility in that case, but he would still technically be the owner. If he is ultimately charged and convicted with a crime, there is no telling what might happen to his stake in the Browns, according to Grossi.

Haslam just bought the Browns last year, and there was plenty of excitement within the fanbase as he seems to be committed to winning. This situation puts him and the franchise in a very difficult position, however.

No matter how this investigation plays out, it will be tough for Haslam and the Browns to proceed with business as usual. If the owner is forced to step down, it will put a struggling franchise in even more turmoil.

bluezhound

Browns fan since 67 .
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the NFL did extensive background checks on potential owners ? if so how did they miss this one ?
funny this comes out after he sold his Steeler shares .

something is very wrong here .

maybe we are truly cursed .

New item in the team shop ...orange & brown shackles just like the ones Jim Bob will wear in the owners box .

what the hell is next ?

ROT IN HELL Modell you started this shit in 95 and it has got worse since then .

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what the hell is next ?

Haslam been downplaying his role in Flying J but been conspicuously absent from there & Berea

I think we're fucked

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how they could force him to step down over allegations of white collar crime.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when an owner comes in that appears to give a crap, they hire a new HC, a good OC, a good DC, this comes out, right before the draft, what the fu**? I don't think he is going anywhere but I am concerned that the money flow will slow because of lawyer fees among other things. It is a mess, I hope it is cleaned up quick.

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey BPP good to see you made it over

He might not have to step down but the whole thing sure casts a doubt over Haslams good ole boy/can do image...

bluezhound

Browns fan since 67 .
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BPP ..Good to see you buddy !

bluezhound

Browns fan since 67 .
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can't i accsess my own profile ?:wtf2:

bluezhound

Browns fan since 67 .
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how they could force him to step down over allegations of white collar crime.
the good old boys tend to take care of there own . its funny this comes up AFTER he sells off his Steeler shares ? if he ripped off his customers there what makes Browns season ticket holders think he wont try it with us .?

we don't deserve this crap . we are a very loyal passionate fan base which has been through enough between the rat bastard moving us ..ROT IN HELL ART .. to crappy football since our reboot & now this shit :hellno:

DuffBeer Doug

Burn on big river,burn on
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's going on Cap'n and Bluez. Made my way over here as well as MudNCleats.

bluezhound

Browns fan since 67 .
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duff !!!!!!!

good to see ya buddy :suds:

DuffBeer Doug

Burn on big river,burn on
Hoopla Cash