• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns fired scouts who liked Carson Wentz

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Leaf was running away with ROY after 2 weeks.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude... there have been countless QB's who have looked great only to fade away but Wentz sure has looked a HELL of a lot more then "decent". He has looked fantastic. Usually rookie QB's play limited roles and dink and dunk but Wentz has been absolute MONEY on deep throws, deep outs, throwing against his body into tight windows. Come on man, he's been phenomenal (against two very bad teams).

But with that said the worst thing for his development is if he has a big game and beats Pittsburgh. 98% of Philly will say he is the next Montana and thats just stupid and too much pressure. It is hard... VERY HARD to play pro sports in Philly. I know it sounds crazy but a win would send Philly into an absolute frenzy and he is too inexperienced and young to take that on so early.

Beating the Steelers would improve his development not hurt it and winning breeds confidence and success. Weintz seems to be the type of person who is level headed that won't allow distractions get into his head and cloud his judgement. It's very early but I think the Eagles may have hit a home run on this kid.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ROTF LMAO....bullshit. You do realize Peyton Manning was a rooking rookie that year and was starting too right?

or was your post sarcasm and I missed it. :-)

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ROTF LMAO....bullshit. You do realize Peyton Manning was a rooking rookie that year and was starting too right?

or was your post sarcasm and I missed it. :-)

Maybe ROY was going far. But Leaf started 2-0. Manning didn't get a win til week 5.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Wentz vs Goff, it is fair to say Wentz wound up in a far superior situation in terms of coaching advice for a young QB:

While I agree that the Eagles are a better situation coaching-wise for a young QB, your credits are a bit slanted.

If you're going to note that DeFillipo was a college QB, you might want to note that Weinke won the Heisman lol (and was the director of the Madden Football academy).

Boras was an OC at UNLV and head coach at Benedictine. Fisher is a bit more than just having a defensive background. He played CB and returned punts for the Bears, took the Titans to the Super Bowl, etc.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was being realistic the dropped TD was about a 30 yarder IIRC and the deep ball dropp by Aghalor was 40+ I believe but I could be wrong. That takes us to about 260. All I am saying is that he played a whole lot better than the stats show. I watched the entire game and those were not the only drops. But hey....drops are part of the game and I get that. I think YPA is an overrated stated because it does not take into everything. YPA is based on yards and does not take into account blatant drops. Wentz also has not thrown any interceptions and he has yet to make that stupid throw a lot of QB's make.....but I am sure one is coming soon. When you look at the game and you compare the two QB's. Wentz looked like the vet and Cutler looked like the rookie.

I will not pretend to know how strong Goff's arm is so I can make a legit comment on that. However there is more to playing QB than arm strength (I know you were not saying that). McNabb had a cannon and I was and still am a big Mcnabb fan but Wentz has a work ethic that goes beyond phsysical skills. He is also a student of the game and that is what makes or shall I say will make him a special QB.

The problem with Cleveland is that they have idiots running the asylum. They had high draft picks repeatedly and seem to always get them wrong.

If you're going to counts ifs and buts as passing yardage, everyone's numbers will be inflated.

When you look at the Bears/Eagles game, Cutler looks like a vet with an injured thumb that couldn't grip the ball. That fumble was out far too easily, and Cutler was throwing balls into the ground and/or floating them while he was in there.

As far as Goff's arm, I was referring more to accuracy than arm strength. You can't coach up arm talent, but that doesn't mean Wentz can't be the better QB. I love his moxie, leadership and drive, which is why I wanted the Rams to pick him over Goff. He just reminds me of a smaller Roethlisberger or a poor man's Luck; not afraid to stand in and take a hit or run when necessary and a true leader.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leaf played like trash in both of those 2 games, with the O only scoring 2 TDs.

I'm missing the equivalence

Manning had 2 TD and 11 INTs through 4 games and edged out Leaf in game 5 for his first win. Those head to head stats:

Manning: 12-23 137 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
Leaf: 12-23 160 yards, 0 TD, INT, 4 sacks

Manning had Faulk and Harrison; Leaf had Natrone Means and no WRs of note (top receptions guys were WR Charlie Jones and TE Freddie Jones).

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same can be said about Jimmy G. I think we as fans are all going like this:

latest
right now when we really shouldn't be. With that said, BOTH QBs (Wentz and Jimmy G) do seem to be posed QBs and currently do not look like rookies or inexperienced

Your not seriously comparing Tommy boys back up to Wentz are you?
That's like comparing Hammer and Urban Myer....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not even getting into Wentz versus Goff per se. Fact is Browns could have drafted one of those two and decided only one was worth it, Goff. That looks to be wrong.

Meanwhile they will have have started 5 different QBs in five straight regular season games now when Cody Kessler starts next game. That's pretty amazing.

Cody Kessler will be Browns' fifth starting QB in last five games

Can't fault them for the reclamation project that was RG3, but they needed to reach higher than Kessler for a long term QB.

The good...they have a boat load (2 1st, 2 2nd, and 2 4th) in addition to their other allottment) of picks to try it again next spring...if they don't come away with Kizer, Kaaya or Watson from that draft...I'm officially ready to call the Hue Jackson regime stupid.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't fault them for the reclamation project that was RG3, but they needed to reach higher than Kessler for a long term QB.

The good...they have a boat load (2 1st, 2 2nd, and 2 4th) in addition to their other allottment) of picks to try it again next spring...if they don't come away with Kizer, Kaaya or Watson from that draft...I'm officially ready to call the Hue Jackson regime stupid.

For some reason, Hue likes Kessler. He certainly didn't look ready in the preseason.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason, Hue likes Kessler. He certainly didn't look ready in the preseason.

Yeah, Tomlin visited with him...he's got some good attributes, doesn't turn it over, fairly efficient, accurate, but he's always been back up talent at this level.

I have to admit, I thought CLE signing RG3 and trading back with PHI in the draft was a good move, but I expected them to take Lynch...someone with starter level talent. Kessler is Aaron Murray imo...a guy who might be a decent backup.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was 2-0 but totally because of the defense. He had one TD, two picks, and like 50% completion percentage after two games played.

I lived in SoCal at the time, and can tell you he looked pretty shaky.

Ryan Leaf: Game Logs at NFL.com

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns should fire their scouts every year.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your not seriously comparing Tommy boys back up to Wentz are you?
That's like comparing Hammer and Urban Myer....

yes i am.. I am comparing that fact that everyone is jumping up and down about how well both are playing right now... We honestly don't know how either one will turn out yet