• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns Extend Landry to 5/75M Deal

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Wilson signing was a disaster. It's not like Wilson was an early draft pick who has yet to live up to his potential. He's a former undrafted free agent and that was for a reason. Alex Smith isn't Drew Brees, but Wilson could never even muster more than 42 catches in any season. Alex Smith threw the ball 505 times last year, and only 63 of those went Wilson's way. Why would that be the case if he's such an "efficient" WR?

There's a reason Landry got a ton of targets - he's a damn good WR. I couldn't even name another WR on KC's roster last year other than Tyreek Hill.
I would say just watching them both you can manufacture targets for Wilson and Landry if you want to. Neither player gets themselves open independent of the scheme too often. We can look at what they're doing when they get the ball, however and what they make of it.

Wilson is at 7.8 yards per target for his career

Landry is at 7.08

Wilson was at 4.1 yard of separation per target (led the NFL)

Landry was at 3.2

Wilson was 2nd in YAC per target at 5.0

Average depth of target: JL - 6.3. AW - 6.2
Yards per target: JL - 6.3. AW - 9.9
Yards per reception: JL - 8.8. AW 13.2
Average yards after the catch: JL - 4.7. AW 7.5
Yards per pass route run: JL - 1.65. AW - 1.64
yards after contact per reception, JL 4.56 AW 7.7

Landry has volume in an offense where the competition isn't all that great for target share.

Of the 543 Targets

320 of them went to Hill, Kelce, or a RB.

32 of Wilson's 63 targets went for 1st downs.

60 of Landry's 160 targets went for 1st downs.

I'll continue to swear by Chris Conley's development had he not blown his achilles. He was performing fairly efficiently as well before injury. He actually had a 15.9 YPC before blowing his achilles. Was really bummed when he got hurt last year as it looked like he was maybe figuring something out and looking like a solid #2 hidden behind TS dominant players.

Last edited:

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a reason Landry got a ton of targets - he's a damn good WR. I couldn't even name another WR on KC's roster last year other than Tyreek Hill.

Do Dwayne Bowe and Eddie Kennison still play there?

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one of the reasons John Dorsey was fired in Kansas City was because he overpaid on too many contracts and put the chiefs in cap hell .... he will definitely upgrade the talent on the Browns roster but they will be in cap hell before too long also... it's what he does.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one of the reasons John Dorsey was fired in Kansas City was because he overpaid on too many contracts and put the chiefs in cap hell .... he will definitely upgrade the talent on the Browns roster but they will be in cap hell before too long also... it's what he does.
He can build a nice house, he has not shown he will be responsible with said nice house.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say just watching them both you can manufacture targets for Wilson and Landry if you want to. Neither player gets themselves open independent of the scheme too often. We can look at what they're doing when they get the ball, however and what they make of it.

Wilson is at 7.8 yards per target for his career

Landry is at 7.08

Wilson was at 4.1 yard of separation per target (led the NFL)

Landry was at 3.2

Wilson was 2nd in YAC per target at 5.0

Average depth of target: JL - 6.3. AW - 6.2
Yards per target: JL - 6.3. AW - 9.9
Yards per reception: JL - 8.8. AW 13.2
Average yards after the catch: JL - 4.7. AW 7.5
Yards per pass route run: JL - 1.65. AW - 1.64
yards after contact per reception, JL 4.56 AW 7.7

Landry has volume in an offense where the competition isn't all that great for target share.

Of the 543 Targets

320 of them went to Hill, Kelce, or a RB.
Nothing proves Wilson is on Landry's level. He finished with fewer catches last season than someone named George Kittle. His production at WR lines up similarly to whoever Trent Taylor is in SF. That sample size lends to the idea that Tyrell Williams is a better WR than Julio Jones. It's foolish to make that comparison.

Landry led the league in RZ catches and was top 3 in total TDs and YAC while also being top 10 in lowest drop %. When you're the Browns, you pay $15mil a year for that sort of production, especially when you're pairing him up with a better QB than he had in Miami.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In Cleveland John Dorsey is being proclaimed a genius, the Browns haven't play a game yet. I guess the Champion pedigree he has established in his career, helps.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Cleveland John Dorsey is being proclaimed a genius, the Browns haven't play a game yet. I guess the Champion pedigree he has established in his career, helps.
I still think he's a very gifted talent evaluator that any team would be thrilled to have. Any of them. He may also be one of the worst with the cap longterm as this continues to be a trend with him. He's a good GM, but a great one he might not be. I don't believe for a nanosecond the Josh Allen stuff is real.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think he's a very gifted talent evaluator than any team would be thrilled to have. Any of them. He may also be one of the worst with the cap longterm as this continues to be a trend with him. He's a good GM, but a great one he might not be.

if dorsey didn't have such a huge ego, he would hire some people to consult with in regards to player values, cap management and what they should be offering in contracts. I agree he's a good talent evaluator. If he would just focus on that and let others handle the cap management, he would be a huge success.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone has proclaimed him a genius anywhere. Cleveland fans are just thrilled we have someone with the balls to spend some money and stop trading down.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think he's a very gifted talent evaluator that any team would be thrilled to have. Any of them. He may also be one of the worst with the cap longterm as this continues to be a trend with him. He's a good GM, but a great one he might not be. I don't believe for a nanosecond the Josh Allen stuff is real.
It's so hard to tell. I'm hearing actually that Sam Darnold was never "the guy", but that the Browns were just gauging the Giants' interest in him to see if they'd trade up to grab him. I guess they didn't bite, but I don't blame Dorsey for trying.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so hard to tell. I'm hearing actually that Sam Darnold was never "the guy", but that the Browns were just gauging the Giants' interest in him to see if they'd trade up to grab him. I guess they didn't bite, but I don't blame Dorsey for trying.
It’s a tough call. My guess just on history is it would be Mayfield, but not everyone is that predictable or consistent with their QB’s. I’d stick with my guns on betting Darnold but the smokescreens are definitely up somewhere.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if dorsey didn't have such a huge ego, he would hire some people to consult with in regards to player values, cap management and what they should be offering in contracts. I agree he's a good talent evaluator. If he would just focus on that and let others handle the cap management, he would be a huge success.
The funny thing is he does have a cap guy. They hired MacKracken... the same cap guy that got fired in KC for well... the whole Maclin fiasco. Pretty easy to imagine how cutting Maclin the way they did rustled Reid's and Hunt's jimmies. Player value itself I don't really believe he has an issue with looking at his draft history, but maybe I am reading your comment wrong. I think he's more of "we need to do this to make the playoffs and I refuse to lose on the way there" mentality.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riddle me this. What do:

Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, and Patrick Mahomes all have in common? Which QB in this draft best encapsulates those similarities?

Dorsey has at the macro level been pretty consistent. Not sure he is at the micro level in terms of say QB prospects. An interesting exercise.

Last edited: