• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browners Case

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this is the NFL's version of double-secret probation.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though he would not have come back for this game because of the injury, I do believe that Browner is probably more valuable for us against the 9ers than maybe any other team.

His size and physicality are very important against a physcial WR like Bouldin and a hybrid WR/TE like Davis. Now that Crabs is back, the 9ers have a big receiving corp that Browner excels against (as opposed to small, fast and quick guys in which he sometimes struggles).

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree that this entire situation with Browner is beyond ridiculous, but allow me to play devil's advocate.

I think the NFL and Goodell may actually have their hands tied here with this substance abuse policy. They probably believe that the suspension is too harsh given the circumstances and that is why they were willing to lessen the punishment. But if they just decide to say screw the rule and screw the policy and let BB off the hook, then the rule instantly becomes discretionary and therefore relatively toothless. The next guy who screams bloody murder after violating this policy will have a footing to stand on. And just think of all the guys that lost money and playing time already under this policy. They might want to at least try and get those game checks back. It would open up pandora's box

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree that this entire situation with Browner is beyond ridiculous, but allow me to play devil's advocate.

I think the NFL and Goodell may actually have their hands tied here with this substance abuse policy. They probably believe that the suspension is too harsh given the circumstances and that is why they were willing to lessen the punishment. But if they just decide to say screw the rule and screw the policy and let BB off the hook, then the rule instantly becomes discretionary and therefore relatively toothless. The next guy who screams bloody murder after violating this policy will have a footing to stand on. And just think of all the guys that lost money and playing time already under this policy. They might want to at least try and get those game checks back. It would open up pandora's box

That's what I said back on page 1. Everyone might agree that the rules as they sit are garbage when it can lead to this, but the question of whether or not they followed the rules as is laid out is all that can be in question otherwise they risk opening the door for every other enforcement under this policy to be called into question.

If I was Browner I would accept a 4 game suspension provided they also drop his status back to stage 2 along with it and just move forward.

PistolHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I agree with that. I think the question is whether or not the NFL can enforce rules and require action of former players who are not in the league. Browner was not a member of the NFL at the time that these tests were missed, therefore he shouldn't be subject to the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.

This is why I think there is talk about taking this to court.

I also think that even if the NFL has their hands tied because of how the rule is stated, doesn't mean the rule can't be challenged in court. Companies are challenged every day on the legality of rules that they enforce on their workers, this is no different.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I agree with that. I think the question is whether or not the NFL can enforce rules and require action of former players who are not in the league. Browner was not a member of the NFL at the time that these tests were missed, therefore he shouldn't be subject to the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.

This is why I think there is talk about taking this to court.

I also think that even if the NFL has their hands tied because of how the rule is stated, doesn't mean the rule can't be challenged in court. Companies are challenged every day on the legality of rules that they enforce on their workers, this is no different.
Oh they can challenge them all they want, but the league may be forced to fight it vociferously to prevent more cases blowing up.

The reason I think he should accept 4 games if they also drop him out of stage 3 is he isn't arguing that he had failed this test so he isn't innocent here. His biggest problem is that it was reported that he was told about his status as a stage 3 member in september of 2011. The time to argue about that status was within a reasonable amount of time of being informed of that, not after you get popped and risk a year. This is his big problem and what could ultimately lose him his case.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though he would not have come back for this game because of the injury, I do believe that Browner is probably more valuable for us against the 9ers than maybe any other team.

His size and physicality are very important against a physcial WR like Bouldin and a hybrid WR/TE like Davis. Now that Crabs is back, the 9ers have a big receiving corp that Browner excels against (as opposed to small, fast and quick guys in which he sometimes struggles).

Browner would knock Boldin on his butt on the regular… That's one dude that Boldin does not want to get into a wrestling match with…

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cox is replacing Johnson on the roster. Probably special teams fodder if nothing else.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browner would knock Boldin on his butt on the regular… That's one dude that Boldin does not want to get into a wrestling match with…

Yeah, I don't see that. Boldin is pretty tough himself...and very veteran savvy. He plays fearless and he has always seemed to be hungry. Browner would be going toe to toe with someone who doesn't fear him and doesn't scare away from physicality. I'm not saying Boldin knocks him out or anything, but I certainly don't see Boldin being intimidated or taking any shit from Browner without a serious fight.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't see that. Boldin is pretty tough himself...and very veteran savvy. He plays fearless and he has always seemed to be hungry. Browner would be going toe to toe with someone who doesn't fear him and doesn't scare away from physicality. I'm not saying Boldin knocks him out or anything, but I certainly don't see Boldin being intimidated or taking any shit from Browner without a serious fight.

Boldin is a pretty tough guy… But Browner is a beast… I can guarantee Boldin doesn't win a physical battle with Browner… I've watched receivers try and they change there strategy quick like … Browner is a STRONG dude…

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as I thought, there wasn't much of a chance he would get off. Whether or not anything thinks the rules are fair, they were spelled out clearly to him and his agent and he did commit those violations. There was no disputing that he did. There could be no outcome other than this without leaving the entire drug program up for an endless string of litigation from everyone else who has ever been handed a suspension or other penalty under that rule.

Browner is done as an NFL player. He only plays again as a late season injury sub at best.