• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browner Suspended as we thought

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um no. The rules are clearly laid out and according to Rappaport he lost his appeal because it was accepted that he was notified of his responsibilities and received them.

When you know what the rules are and violate them you get what you deserve. We can debate whether the rules themselves are stupid and if they should be changed for players in this unique situation, but there is clearly no debate that he violated the rules as written.

He can waste what money he has left on litigation if it helps him save face, but all he will get from it is broke faster because his days of earning a NFL wage is over. He has zero chance of being reinstated in less than a year and no team is going to take a risk on him as a regular team member after that. At best he might be a late season rent a player if a team has a lot of injuries in the back of their defense.

So he's suppose to follow the NFL rules when he's NOT in the NFL… ?? Help me understand that part..

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he's suppose to follow the NFL rules when he's NOT in the NFL… ?? Help me understand that part..

Ditto. Maybe I'm green to the deep details of NFL legal issues like this, but exactly how does the NFL have the right to dictate enforcement policy on individuals who are playing for not just a different league, BUT IN AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT COUNTRY!

It's not like these pricks are FIFA where there is all these world wide tournaments to corruptly govern.

Ksfnslayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in the end it sounds like the NFL might have overlooked the whole deal, but are actually targeting him because they don't approve of his style of play being so rough and physical, intimidating, dangerous. I don't know maybe they are right, but this is football and it hasn't changed since Dick Butcus, I don't believe.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ditto. Maybe I'm green to the deep details of NFL legal issues like this, but exactly how does the NFL have the right to dictate enforcement policy on individuals who are playing for not just a different league, BUT IN AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT COUNTRY!

It's not like these pricks are FIFA where there is all these world wide tournaments to corruptly govern.

This has been my same thought on this whole thing. If my old boss from 3 years ago called me and said he needed me to take a piss test I'd tell him to pound sand up his ass. Now, if I decided to go back to work for him and he asked for a drug test before I started that would be different. But while not working for the NFL they shouldn't be able to force anyone to do anything for them.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been my same thought on this whole thing. If my old boss from 3 years ago called me and said he needed me to take a piss test I'd tell him to pound sand up his ass. Now, if I decided to go back to work for him and he asked for a drug test before I started that would be different. But while not working for the NFL they shouldn't be able to force anyone to do anything for them.

Well I read an article where Browner's attorney was quoted as saying "We are going to sue the living daylights out of the league." So the NFL maybe in for a fight.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is exactly the problem I have with the NFL regarding BB. He's out of the league and was in the CFL, yet..... he's expected follow the rules? This does not make any sense at all.

BB's suing and rightfully so.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care too much if it was a written and understood rule, I still pretty much agree with most everyone here.

If I move on from my job and the company I work with no longer has a contract with me and is no longer paying me, then they should have absolutely zero right to dictate how I live my life while I am not their employee.

Now, I do fully and whole-heartedly believe that BB should be punished for his violation of the rules like any other player who had his violation, which according to the CBA is a 4 game suspension for testing positive for a illegal substance.

HawkCity

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing BB is not that big of a deal right now because of how well Maxwell and Lane have played. If they were struggling everyone on here would be calling for the NFL's head. I like BB but it's like Pete Carroll says, " next man up". Now my problem with this story is he wasn't employed by the NFL, when he was playing up in the CFL. There for should not be a loud to test someone that is not part of any team in the NFL. Just cause you might play in the NFL again someday doesn't give them the right. Now I have read reports that said he failed a drug test this year for weed and some that said he hasn't failed any.
Brandon Browner has been a Seahawk since 2011 and has failed a drug test last year in which he was suspended right. Now here is where I don't understand the NFL, if he was all ready in stage 3 for not showing up for drug testing, then why was he not suspended for 1 year last year???????
I find it a little fishy that all of a sudden the NFL wants to show it's power against the Seahawks. Just some food for thought.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing BB is not that big of a deal right now because of how well Maxwell and Lane have played. If they were struggling everyone on here would be calling for the NFL's head. I like BB but it's like Pete Carroll says, " next man up". Now my problem with this story is he wasn't employed by the NFL, when he was playing up in the CFL. There for should not be a loud to test someone that is not part of any team in the NFL. Just cause you might play in the NFL again someday doesn't give them the right. Now I have read reports that said he failed a drug test this year for weed and some that said he hasn't failed any.
Brandon Browner has been a Seahawk since 2011 and has failed a drug test last year in which he was suspended right. Now here is where I don't understand the NFL, if he was all ready in stage 3 for not showing up for drug testing, then why was he not suspended for 1 year last year???????
I find it a little fishy that all of a sudden the NFL wants to show it's power against the Seahawks. Just some food for thought.

He wasn't suspended for 1 year last year because it falls under a different policy. He was suspended 4-games for PED.

This is substance abuse. Completely different policy.

HawkCity

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't suspended for 1 year last year because it falls under a different policy. He was suspended 4-games for PED.

This is substance abuse. Completely different policy.

But if he was a stage 3 offender wouldn't any failed test at that point have landed him a 1 year suspension?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if he was a stage 3 offender wouldn't any failed test at that point have landed him a 1 year suspension?

No.

There is one set of regulations for substance abuse, i.e. illegal/recreational drugs. This is what he is currently in trouble for. Drugs on this list include Marijuana, cocaine, meth and much more. This is solely for recreational drugs.

There is a second set of regulations that address performance enhancers. This includes steroids, supplements and other substances that are deemed to give a player an unfair advantage on the field. Browner was suspended under this for what he said was adderall, and served a 4 game suspension.

These are two separate regulations that have nothing to do with the other. The breaking of one regulation has no bearing on the enforcement of the other.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, I'm not defending the policy, but it is the policy. He signed his contracts knowing what was required. According to the information coming out he was made aware of it and sent back acknowledgements that he knew about it and only tried to fight the repercussions AFTER he got popped for doing drugs.

I mean I get why some think it sucks he was asked to take drug tests while not even still in the league, but no one can defend his stupid ass for taking drugs and getting caught in a piss test earlier this year. All you guys are doing is complaining over the level of punishment. He wouldn't be in the spot if he simply stopped doing drugs while playing in the NFL right now, more or less whatever happened while he was in Canada.

Let's not forget he also got busted for PED use on a different test last season. How many times do you need to be busted before you get it and just stop doing it?

Brandon Browner is out of the league because he selfishly decided to put taking drugs ahead of his teammates and his career. Period.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I'm not defending the policy, but it is the policy. He signed his contracts knowing what was required. According to the information coming out he was made aware of it and sent back acknowledgements that he knew about it and only tried to fight the repercussions AFTER he got popped for doing drugs.

I mean I get why some think it sucks he was asked to take drug tests while not even still in the league, but no one can defend his stupid ass for taking drugs and getting caught in a piss test earlier this year. All you guys are doing is complaining over the level of punishment. He wouldn't be in the spot if he simply stopped doing drugs while playing in the NFL right now, more or less whatever happened while he was in Canada.

Let's not forget he also got busted for PED use on a different test last season. How many times do you need to be busted before you get it and just stop doing it?

Brandon Browner is out of the league because he selfishly decided to put taking drugs ahead of his teammates and his career. Period.

No argument about the dumb decision making… But I do question the NFL policy for a year suspension based on not taking the NFL drug test while the guy is in a different country playing in a different league … NFL is gonna have a tough time winning that one… NFL wouldn't offer a deal if they thought there case was strong… Browner will win this one in the end...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument about the dumb decision making… But I do question the NFL policy for a year suspension based on not taking the NFL drug test while the guy is in a different country playing in a different league … NFL is gonna have a tough time winning that one… NFL wouldn't offer a deal if they thought there case was strong… Browner will win this one in the end...

He already lost it. There is nothing left to win. The appeal was denied and the case is closed. Of course his people are saying they are going to sue, but there is no basis for a suit that would succeed. It is spelled out clearly what was required of him after already being in the stages of the substance abuse policy, they did everything required of them under that policy, and he cannot refute any of his own actions that were against those policies. It really is a rather easy case.

Again, not saying it is fair, but blame the policy as agreed on by both the players and the league, not their enforcement of it.

As for the question of how can they expect him to continue to do drug tests while not in the league, it was reported he was still showing up for combines, work outs, and other activities attempting to get back into the league. If he was actively seeking employment in the NFL he was clearly responsible for complying with all league rules.

Had he never wanted to return to the NFL again then he simply could ignore it and nothing happens. If he really wanted to dispute his being moved to stage 3 of the policy then the time to fight that was when he returned to the league, not 2 years later after he had been busted for PED's and substance abuse.

There isn't a judge in the country that would overturn this. It is rather easy to follow. He knowingly violated the terms of his employment and it really isn't any more difficult than that.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already lost it. There is nothing left to win. The appeal was denied and the case is closed. Of course his people are saying they are going to sue, but there is no basis for a suit that would succeed. It is spelled out clearly what was required of him after already being in the stages of the substance abuse policy, they did everything required of them under that policy, and he cannot refute any of his own actions that were against those policies. It really is a rather easy case.

Again, not saying it is fair, but blame the policy as agreed on by both the players and the league, not their enforcement of it.

As for the question of how can they expect him to continue to do drug tests while not in the league, it was reported he was still showing up for combines, work outs, and other activities attempting to get back into the league. If he was actively seeking employment in the NFL he was clearly responsible for complying with all league rules.

Had he never wanted to return to the NFL again then he simply could ignore it and nothing happens. If he really wanted to dispute his being moved to stage 3 of the policy then the time to fight that was when he returned to the league, not 2 years later after he had been busted for PED's and substance abuse.

There isn't a judge in the country that would overturn this. It is rather easy to follow. He knowingly violated the terms of his employment and it really isn't any more difficult than that.

Don't be so sure… He has a fighting chance when a league is trying to hold a strike against him when he's not even in that league… That's gonna be tough for the NFL to justify… I say let's allow it to play out and see what happens…

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No.

As I said, PED and Substance abuse are 2 separate policies.

He was in stage 3 for substance abuse. It had nothing to do with the PED suspension last year as it was under different set of regulations.

He smoked pot this year, so this fell under substance abuse and was already in stage 3 while he was out of the NFL. Therefore, the 1 year suspension.

The stage 3 he's in does not fall under PED.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the NFL is clearly targeting Browner. In one of the articles I read a few weeks ago, Browner had been subjected to some 200+ drug tests since he came back into the league in 2011. I'm not defending BB by any means because it was selfish of him. But the double standards in the NFL is quite astonishing.

Example: Why isn't the NFL taking a harder stance on a guy like Aldon Smith? It was nothing more than:

"Oh, you got drunk and got into an accident? No problem! Take some time off to get right, then come back whenever you feel like it."

This year isn't exactly the first time that Smith got into trouble for substance abuse!

:L

Last edited by a moderator:

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my take on this....

If you had the chance to make millions of dollars in a short amount of time and one of the stipulations is that you can NOT take ANY of the banned substances that the NFL has listed, would you comply with that? I know I damned well would.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be so sure… He has a fighting chance when a league is trying to hold a strike against him when he's not even in that league… That's gonna be tough for the NFL to justify… I say let's allow it to play out and see what happens…
No, it's not. You have read the policy haven't you? It is clearly there in plain language. They have nothing to justify. He had a contract with the league and violated it.

There is zero chance he gets out of this. Absolute zero. They will have to change the language of that section if people agree it is unfair so that future players won't fall under it. As of now they did exactly what that bylaw dictated.

I said when this came down that there is no way the league could set this aside or they risk every player ever punished under that policy to fight it. They simply can't let him off.