• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browner Suspended as we thought

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, thoughts

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he actually test positive or did he miss a mandatory meeting from a previous failed test?

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lawsuit incoming. NFL knew they were in the wrong, so they tried to cut Browner a deal and he didn't accept it. Now they're suspending him indefinitely. Sad, but it look like they're really aiming for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he actually test positive or did he miss a mandatory meeting from a previous failed test?

They moved him to stage 3 without his knowledge when he was in the CFL. He was also not made aware by the NFL that he's required to show up for testing while in the CFL. He came back and still didn't know he was in stage 3 until August when the NFL finally notified him. The NFL then proceeded to try to cut Browner a shorter suspension deal in which he rejected, I guess now it leads to this. Browner has already threatened lawsuit, so it's incoming.

I've read a report a few weeks ago that Browner have had over 200 testings of some sort since he came back into the league in 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The timing by the NFL is pretty impeccable considering Browner is set to come back to practice from his groin injury.

Thank goodness we have an extremely talented group of secondary, so best of luck to Browner. Look like he's done here.

uwdawgfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 35.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope that toke or snort was worth it.....

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what Rappaport is reporting, Browner WAS informed that he had been moved to stage 2, in writing.
Next positive test (current test) moved him to stage 3.

We only hear what we hear, the NFL documentation is not available to us, until some reporter gets a hold of it.

Feel bad that Browner 'had to do what he did" but Browner knows the truth, but what he says may or may not BE the truth.

Go Hawks

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is still more appeals that will occur. It's not over for him. But I believe his days with Seattle are now done. He's 29 and was to be a free agent next year. It was his last chance to sign a significant contract with someone. No matter what, he's now one failed test away from the NFL death sentence. The fact he couldn't put the bong down has cost him potentially millions. Even if he can get the suspension reduced to allow him to play a full season in 2014, whatever contract he signs, it will pale in comparison to what he could of got as a FA starting in Feb 2014.

What a waste.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that is bizarre to me is that the NFL somehow has authority over someone even when they don't work for them? That seems a bit odd. Let's say you work at Microsoft and they require drug testing, which you do but then you either decide you want to go to work for Apple or are fired and have to work for Apple, why would Microsoft still be able to DEMAND you undertake drug testing? If Browner wasn't employed by the NFL then how on earth could they still expect to make demands on him? Not only that but if the NFL (for some odd reason wanted to keep tabs on potential future employees) shouldn't the onus be on the NFL to make sure the mail is delivered to the right address and the recipient actually gets the requests?

I don't know. I think Browner might have a case and that is probably why the league offered him a reduced suspension in the first place.

On a side note; I'm not sure if I'd even want Browner back at this point. Lane and Maxwell (and Thurmond when he's back) have played as good or better and they don't take near as many penalties.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that is bizarre to me is that the NFL somehow has authority over someone even when they don't work for them? That seems a bit odd. Let's say you work at Microsoft and they require drug testing, which you do but then you either decide you want to go to work for Apple or are fired and have to work for Apple, why would Microsoft still be able to DEMAND you undertake drug testing? If Browner wasn't employed by the NFL then how on earth could they still expect to make demands on him? Not only that but if the NFL (for some odd reason wanted to keep tabs on potential future employees) shouldn't the onus be on the NFL to make sure the mail is delivered to the right address and the recipient actually gets the requests?

I don't know. I think Browner might have a case and that is probably why the league offered him a reduced suspension in the first place.

On a side note; I'm not sure if I'd even want Browner back at this point. Lane and Maxwell (and Thurmond when he's back) have played as good or better and they don't take near as many penalties.

My guess is that once you get a contract with an NFL team, you're considered an employee of the NFL until you file your retirement papers, whether you continue to have an actual contract with a team or not. If Browner didn't file retirement papers thinking that he might get another shot in the NFL at some point, then he would still be in the program even if he didn't have an actual contract with a team. Either way, the league and Browner had a communication issue both when he left the league and when he came back. Even if they failed to notify him that he was still in the program despite not being on a team while he was in the CFL, they should have notified him when he came back into the league and if they didn't, that's on them.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
710 ESPN posted a message from Browner. Here's what he said:

A statement from Brandon Browner, via his Twitter account:

I want to thank the Seahawks organization for the incredible opportunity they gave me when they took a chance on a player who was out of the NFL and playing in the CFL for 4 years. I also want to thank all of my teammates, coaches, trainers, staff and the 12’s for their support, respect, and friendship and for helping me grow into the player, father, and person I am today. I have been treated with nothing but first class by everyone associated with the Seattle Seahawks and for that I am forever grateful. Although I disagree with the circumstances surrounding my suspension, I accept responsibility for all of my actions and I apologize for any that causes any unflattering reflections of my family and the Seahawks. I believe in my innocence and will continue to fight with all legal resources available to me to. Go Hawks!!!

Sounds like he's done here even if he gets the suspension reduced or undone.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "Lawsuit" will be about contact or not. Rapoport says that the league TOLD Browner what stage he was on, right or wrong. The NFL did their job of reporting or DID they not?? We have no idea.

In the Lawyers hands, no matter what WE say.

I'm glad it is done for this season, BB done, let Maxwell, Lane, and Thurmond play. That is pretty good, IMO, even better than BB. Sorry BB.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "Lawsuit" will be about contact or not. Rapoport says that the league TOLD Browner what stage he was on, right or wrong. The NFL did their job of reporting or DID they not?? We have no idea.

In the Lawyers hands, no matter what WE say.

I'm glad it is done for this season, BB done, let Maxwell, Lane, and Thurmond play. That is pretty good, IMO, even better than BB. Sorry BB.

Goodell is a strict prick. He loves to show his power and weight and Seahawk fans feel he is not a big fan of our team.

If the NFL had proof BB was informed why would they barter from a 1 year suspension down to a 9 monther?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I dont think anyone is shocked by this. At this point its a Browner issue and no longer a Seahawk issue. Im glad its finally over and we can move on with what we have which is actually really good.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell is a strict prick. He loves to show his power and weight and Seahawk fans feel he is not a big fan of our team.

If the NFL had proof BB was informed why would they barter from a 1 year suspension down to a 9 monther?

Goodell wants flag football. Pete Carroll doesn't subscribe to that. His players play tough and physical. They hit legal, but they hit like beasts. Goodell doesn't like that.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't over…. Browner is gonna fight back on this one… NFL is being a little ridiculous under the circumstance…

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't over…. Browner is gonna fight back on this one… NFL is being a little ridiculous under the circumstance…

Um no. The rules are clearly laid out and according to Rappaport he lost his appeal because it was accepted that he was notified of his responsibilities and received them.

When you know what the rules are and violate them you get what you deserve. We can debate whether the rules themselves are stupid and if they should be changed for players in this unique situation, but there is clearly no debate that he violated the rules as written.

He can waste what money he has left on litigation if it helps him save face, but all he will get from it is broke faster because his days of earning a NFL wage is over. He has zero chance of being reinstated in less than a year and no team is going to take a risk on him as a regular team member after that. At best he might be a late season rent a player if a team has a lot of injuries in the back of their defense.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luckily for the Seahawks, Walter Thurmond, Byron Maxwell and Jeremy Lane have all really stepped up.

I knew that Thurmond can play CB, it was more of the injuries that concerned me with him. But I was really surprised when I saw how well Maxwell and Lane played as well. I mean you're talking about two guys who during the preseason were the 5th and 6th string CBs.

The whole thing with Brandon Browner is no longer a concern for the Seahawks really. Even if he did win his appeal he would have been unlikely to return next year due to the Seahawks tight salary cap situation right now. They would have likely let him walk with the way that Thurmond, Maxwell and Lane have played.