• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

**BREAKING NEWS** - No Fine Or Suspension For Chara

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even the E S P N hockey guys are saying it wasn't a dirty hit with malicious intent. It's not the first time a player got checked and hit the turnbuckle or the end glass, and it probably won't be the last. Most Habs fans think their players should be treated like gods and never hit. If it had been a Habs player checking a Bruins player into the turnbuckle, you wouldn't hear an outcry from them then. Shit happens during a hockey game. It's unfortunate but part of the game

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the complaining and hate these guys shower on Cooke and then defend this just seems a bit off to me. I am not defending Cooke by any stretch, but this is a dirty play unless you assume a 13 year vet in the NHL doesnt know where the turnbuckle is on the ice.

I dont recall anyone saying Cooke should be charged with criminal crimes...

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even the E S P N hockey guys are saying it wasn't a dirty hit with malicious intent. It's not the first time a player got checked and hit the turnbuckle or the end glass, and it probably won't be the last. Most Habs fans think their players should be treated like gods and never hit. If it had been a Habs player checking a Bruins player into the turnbuckle, you wouldn't hear an outcry from them then. Shit happens during a hockey game. It's unfortunate but part of the game

Shoulda kept your mouth shut, now you are the Antichrist. Welcome to hell brother.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I feel thats absolutely untrue.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I really dont have a vested interest in either team. The same can be said of Savard since head shots werent illegal at the time of the Cooke hit. Just saying...

CatScrap

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IMO,

I believe Chara, or whoever makes a hit like this one, should receive a suspension.

It was obviously a late hit made outside of the play and an interference call. I believe a suspension should be handed out based on the fact that it was an illegal hit that caused a severe injury and not necessarily intent to injure.

Had the hit been legal, ie he had the puck and Chara was making a play on him, then I can see the league looking the other way on this. However, there was no need for the hit and it caused a severe injury to a player, and I believe that the league should have adressed it as such.

Just like in real life, if I'm driving drunk and crash into you and hurt you, even though I didn't have the intent to hurt you, I'm still responsible for your injury because I was doing something illegal that caused your injury.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO,

I believe Chara, or whoever makes a hit like this one, should receive a suspension.

It was obviously a late hit made outside of the play and an interference call. I believe a suspension should be handed out based on the fact that it was an illegal hit that caused a severe injury and not necessarily intent to injure.

Had the hit been legal, ie he had the puck and Chara was making a play on him, then I can see the league looking the other way on this. However, there was no need for the hit and it caused a severe injury to a player, and I believe that the league should have adressed it as such.

Just like in real life, if I'm driving drunk and crash into you and hurt you, even though I didn't have the intent to hurt you, I'm still responsible for your injury because I was doing something illegal that caused your injury.

Except hitting someone in hockey is legal, and hitting someone with your car is illegal.

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel thats absolutely untrue.

It is true. If it had been a Bruins player who was hit, the people of Montreal would give the Habs player a hero's welcome because it was a Bruins player.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is true. If it had been a Bruins player who was hit, the people of Montreal would give the Habs player a hero's welcome because it was a Bruins player.

Oh I mis-read your post. I read it as if it was a Bruins player that this happened to that there would not be an outcry from Bruins fans. Clearly that's not what your post said, I misread it. Sorry.

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I mis-read your post. I read it as if it was a Bruins player that this happened to that there would not be an outcry from Bruins fans. Clearly that's not what your post said, I misread it. Sorry.

No problem buddy.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a battle that will never be won...

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except hitting someone in hockey is legal, and hitting someone with your car is illegal.

Hitting someone after the puck is gone is not, though.

I think that's the gray area here. If the puck is still there, it's just an unfortunate hit. But the puck was gone. If you are making a legal play, and somebody gets hurt accidentally, so be it. But if you choose to make an illegal play, and somebody gets hurt, do you bear some responsibility? I think so.

My comparison: Somebody runs onto the road, you hit them, and they die. If you were driving responsibly (sober, speed limit, etc...) then you probably don't get in much trouble. If you were drunk or speeding, you get in a lot of trouble.

As for intent... it looks bad considering the last game these two played and specifically the well publicized altercation between Chara and Pacioretty. The hit was late, and from at least the last angle it looked, to me, like Chara gave an intentional extra shove into the turnbuckle. But it was a fast play, so I can't say with certainty. On the other hand, saying with certainty that Chara had NO intent is homerism.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not a gray area...I think Jeff was talking in general. Like you can skate up to someone, hit him and you'll be fine. You cant walk up to someone on the street, hit him, and then walk away without any charges.

Edit: I'm still speaking to the city investigating the hit as an actual crime, not much else

Last edited by a moderator:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitting someone after the puck is gone is not, though.

I think that's the gray area here. If the puck is still there, it's just an unfortunate hit. But the puck was gone. If you are making a legal play, and somebody gets hurt accidentally, so be it. But if you choose to make an illegal play, and somebody gets hurt, do you bear some responsibility? I think so.

My comparison: Somebody runs onto the road, you hit them, and they die. If you were driving responsibly (sober, speed limit, etc...) then you probably don't get in much trouble. If you were drunk or speeding, you get in a lot of trouble.

As for intent... it looks bad considering the last game these two played and specifically the well publicized altercation between Chara and Pacioretty. The hit was late, and from at least the last angle it looked, to me, like Chara gave an intentional extra shove into the turnbuckle. But it was a fast play, so I can't say with certainty. On the other hand, saying with certainty that Chara had NO intent is homerism.

I agree with this part. An illegal play resulting in this severe an injury should have resulted in a small suspension. 2 games would have been enough. Maybe even just one.

Knowing Z's game and having actually spoken with him in person before, he is not out to injure anyone. I seriously doubt that he was trying hurt Patches. At worst it was reckless and given his history of being an honest player for a dozen years in the NHL, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.