• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking: James Franklin to be named Penn ST HC

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think it has to do with sanctions. The place just is still in shambles over their recent past.

O'Brien was a great coach at PSU, but he took some upper cuts to the program when he left. He was never accepted and it makes you wonder if there will always bee a vocal group that is so diehard Paterno faithful that they never accept a new head coach and will make things hard for whoever steps into that role.

The place is in a better spot than it was when O'Brien took over, no doubt, but the smoke is still hazy there.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That guys name has been super hot for the last couple of years and the best he gets is Penn State?

Nothing against PSU as a football program, but that place is in shambles to be considered a big time job, especially after the jab O'Brien gave the fans and admin.

Thinking one more year at Vandy would have opened up better options for him.

I don't know, I'd actually think it would be a great place. You get the pay of a major coach, facilities of a major program, tons of money of a major program, good recruiting base (Pennsylvania, Ohio, east coast) and fairly low expectations because of the sanctions. They were happy with Bill O'Brian after he won only, what, 7 games this year? PSU is probably the easiest major program to coach at right now.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is the kinda stuff thats gonna start happening too..

Last edited by a moderator:

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin was born and raised in PA, went to college in PA and got his first two coaching jobs at PA universities. Plus, he coached 8 years at Maryland (which borders PA to the south) and 1 year at a VA school (just south of Maryland), so Franklin has plenty of recruiting ties to the area

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think it has to do with sanctions. The place just is still in shambles over their recent past.

O'Brien was a great coach at PSU, but he took some upper cuts to the program when he left. He was never accepted and it makes you wonder if there will always bee a vocal group that is so diehard Paterno faithful that they never accept a new head coach and will make things hard for whoever steps into that role.

The place is in a better spot than it was when O'Brien took over, no doubt, but the smoke is still hazy there.

Dude.... You have no clue what its like there. :lame:

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If/when Franklin gets the Penn State program up to speed, the East Division of the B1G is gonna be tough!

Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers

West Division not too shabby either

Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Purdue
Wisconsin

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude.... You have no clue what its like there. :lame:

I don't. But from what ive heard recently from a coach that was just there, it seems like a place I would wait to go to.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. But from what ive heard recently from a coach that was just there, it seems like a place I would wait to go to.

Even if you lived in PA for the first quarter century of your life like Franklin?

O'Brien had never lived in PA until 2012 when he was hired to replace Joe Pa

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you lived in PA for the first quarter century of your life like Franklin?

O'Brien had never lived in PA until 2012

O'Brien took a team that was literally dead and just a shell and had them win 8 games, yet there were people that were unwelcoming of him?

But regardless, there is a cult within the PSU fan base that is only going to ever worship Paterno. Not all Nittany Lion fans of course, but that vocal bunch that is can make this uncomfortable for a coach.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'Brien took a team that was literally dead and just a shell and had them win 8 games, yet there were people that were unwelcoming of him?

But regardless, there is a cult within the PSU fan base that is only going to ever worship Paterno. Not all Nittany Lion fans of course, but that vocal bunch that is can make this uncomfortable for a coach.

WHO? For chrissakes... The fanbase was happy about the hire. If a handful of bad eggs got to him that badly he's fucked with the Texans.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State has one of the five largest fan bases in college football and absolutely dominates recruiting in one of the better football states in America. They have a huge presence and ability to land top East Coast recruits. Calling it lateral to Vanderbilt is incredibly ignorant.

It's a second-tier job only clearly behind Texas, Alabama, USC, Ohio State, and Michigan. Its peer jobs are Florida, Florida State, Miami, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame
This. As a Vandy grad, I hate to see him go. But now that PSU has the initial shock of the scandal over, it is a great job. Especially with his Pa ties, this makes total sense. It is a total home run for PSU and the B1G better watch their asses. This guy can recruit like an SOB, and he is a good game coach. This is the type of hire that will help the B1G begin the ascent to being a relevant conference (I kid, I kid).

I hate to lose him, but we knew he wouldn't be around for long. Moreover, we couldn't even fill a 50,000 seat stadium, so he wasn't going to stay for that.

Congrats PSU.

As for Vandy, how about UGa's Bobo? That would piss me off. Not sure who else you would get there. He needs to be a high energy guy, like Fedora and Franklin were. It's the only way they can keep up at the same level.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing you posted here makes it a better job than Vandy currently
I'm a Vandy job. HC at PSU is way better than being HC at Vandy. No matter how well he did, they won't sell out the games, and they will never win a conference championship in the SEC. He's going home. It's s pretty easy decision for him.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guise.. It's been tossed around that PSU could end up bowl eligible this upcoming year. Sanctions are on their way out. LOB's recruiting class has stuck in there, and we have one of the top going into 2nd year QBs out there. This is for real now. Call me a homer, but we'll be back in the national picture very soon now.
Talk to USC before getting too optimistic. There is residual damage caused by the scholly reductions that takes a while to get over.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State is one of the best schools in America and anyone who has visited that school very quickly understands why that is the case. The university is spread out over several square miles of beautiful rolling hills surrounded by the Allegheny mountains and has some great facilities to use. The school even has it's own golf course and even that is an excellent place to play golf. Very low crime rate in the area, great academics, wonderful sport facilities...what's not to like. Sandusky wrecked a great program, however things pass and Penn State will be a contender for the Big 10 title once again. To say that Vanderbilt is remotely comparable to Penn State, other than academics, is a big mistake. Vandy is a great school and is very demanding in their academics, however in no way can be compared with Penn State for an overall college experience; and certainly will never be a football threat.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk to USC before getting too optimistic. There is residual damage caused by the scholly reductions that takes a while to get over.
Usually you have a couple of decent years right after then there is a 5 year period where you are short talent, leadership and rebuilding that really suck.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been to a Vandy game btw. There is no comparison.... Theres a f'n hotel across the street from the stadium. At PSU there is miles of farmland, parked vehicles & tailgates.. Fans there showed up late & literally dressed up for the occasion. At that school at least, football is a social activity. At PSU, it is a way of life.

I feel for the Vandy fans though. Sucks to lose a coach like that.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State is one of the best schools in America and anyone who has visited that school very quickly understands why that is the case. The university is spread out over several square miles of beautiful rolling hills surrounded by the Allegheny mountains and has some great facilities to use. The school even has it's own golf course and even that is an excellent place to play golf. Very low crime rate in the area, great academics, wonderful sport facilities...what's not to like. Sandusky wrecked a great program, however things pass and Penn State will be a contender for the Big 10 title once again. To say that Vanderbilt is remotely comparable to Penn State, other than academics, is a big mistake. Vandy is a great school and is very demanding in their academics, however in no way can be compared with Penn State for an overall college experience; and certainly will never be a football threat.
Ugh ...

1. Pretty much every university of size has their own golf course. Just picking nits.

2. Vandy is not remotely comparable to PSU in academics ... it is far superior. :nod:

3. The Vandy overall college experience is just as good if not better than PSU ... you act like Vandy is some small liberal arts college. Other than a big stadium, there ins't much you get at PSU you don't get at Vandy.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been to a Vandy game btw. There is no comparison.... Theres a f'n hotel across the street from the stadium. Fans there showed up late & literally dressed up for the occasion. At that school at least, football is a social activity. At PSU, it is a way of life.
Who doesn't dress up for a football game?